Re: [NH] Markdown Library Script

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 20, 2011
      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "lorellevanfossen" <lorelleonwordpress@...> wrote:

      > So let me try and understand this.
      >
      > If I install Perl (from the link below?) on a Windows 7
      > machine, it will work in the background with NoteTab or it
      > will need to be added to the libraries...

      Hi Lorelle,

      I had never heard of "markdown" until now. It is a perl script, markdown.pl, and Axel thought you were asking about using markdown.pl from a NoteTab clip.

      To do that, you need perl and markdown.pl (obviously), plus a clip which you would create in one of your NoteTab clip libraries with at least one line, e.g.:

      ^!RunPerl "C:\mypath\markdown.pl"

      I don't know if anyone ever created a NoteTab clip that independently does everything in markdown.pl, but NoteTab does have a menu choice to convert from text to html, i.e, Modify->Document->To HTML, as well as a clip function ^$StrtoHTML$. One of those might meet your needs without recreating markdown in clipcode.

      We should probably continue this discussion on the clips list.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • lorellevanfossen
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 23, 2011
        Markdown is an old web language code used on websites and forums, which is why I brought it here. NoteTab easily converts documents into HTML and I want to convert a document written with markdown language into HTML. I don't know what the markdown.pl perl script is unless it converts a markdown written article into HTML.

        For example see http://www.asianefficiency.com/technology/multimarkdown-and-scrivener-for-efficient-blogging/ I know that some text editors convert markdown documents into HTML and I remembered something from years ago that NoteTab might, but it might have been in reference to that markdown.pl script.

        Does that help make it clear what I'm asking?

        Lorelle

        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

        > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "lorellevanfossen" <lorelleonwordpress@> wrote:
        > >
        > > So let me try and understand this.
        > >
        > > If I install Perl (from the link below?) on a Windows 7
        > > machine, it will work in the background with NoteTab or it
        > > will need to be added to the libraries...
        >
        > Hi Lorelle,
        >
        > I had never heard of "markdown" until now. It is a perl script, markdown.pl, and Axel thought you were asking about using markdown.pl from a NoteTab clip.
        >
        > To do that, you need perl and markdown.pl (obviously), plus a clip which you would create in one of your NoteTab clip libraries with at least one line, e.g.:
        >
        > ^!RunPerl "C:\mypath\markdown.pl"
        >
        > I don't know if anyone ever created a NoteTab clip that independently does everything in markdown.pl, but NoteTab does have a menu choice to convert from text to html, i.e, Modify->Document->To HTML, as well as a clip function ^$StrtoHTML$. One of those might meet your needs without recreating markdown in clipcode.
        >
        > We should probably continue this discussion on the clips list.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Sheri

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "lorellevanfossen" <lorelleonwordpress@...> wrote:

          > Markdown is an old web language code used on websites and forums, which is why I brought it here. NoteTab easily converts documents into HTML and I want to convert a document written with markdown language into HTML. I don't know what the markdown.pl perl script is unless it converts a markdown written article into HTML.
          >
          > For example see http://www.asianefficiency.com/technology/multimarkdown-and-scrivener-for-efficient-blogging/ I know that some text editors convert markdown documents into HTML and I remembered something from years ago that NoteTab might, but it might have been in reference to that markdown.pl script.
          >
          > Does that help make it clear what I'm asking?
          >
          > Lorelle

          Hi Lorelle,

          I don't think you're going to find an already-written stand alone markdown clip, and I don't think it would be a trivial task to make one.

          There's informative wiki entry for Markdown here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown>

          The author of the markdown perl script invented the shorthand code. Its easy to run the script from a clip, but you need Perl and the markdown script. There's also web page that runs markdown.pl where you can paste document text and press a convert button. That's here: <http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/dingus>

          It looks likes multimarkdown is an exe file. Haven't tried it but it should also be easy to use from a short clip. Your clip could run the exe file using ^** to refer to the current document text as a file.

          Regards,
          Sheri