Re: [NH] Markdown Library Script

  • lorellevanfossen
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 20, 2011
      Herein lies the problem with this. I don't want to mess with Perl. Left that years ago and was perfectly happy not to return.

      Looking through the rest of the replies but this sounds like a search and replace thing. Find the markdown symbols and replace them with HTML. Simple clean up job, but then I'm not the best expert in NoteTab. :D

      Lorelle

      > lorellevanfossen wrote:
      > > I thought there was a clip or library for converting markdown to
      > > HTML. I've searched through everything and come up empty.
      >
      > That script is part of Markdown itself, Unfortunately it's written in
      > Perl, requires Perl 5.6.0 and up, and can be used in Movable Type, in
      > Blosxom, and in BBedit but not in Notetab.
      >
      > To me the Perl code looks very strange and it would require a lot of
      > work to convert it to a clip. Does clip do recursive functions?
      >
      > If I had to, I'd do what I usually do and write a clip made up of
      > Replaces starting with the current subset and adding elements as needed.
      > That's how my converters from TeX to HTML, from text to TeX and others
      > grew. They are nice preprocessors and do most of the routine work, they
      > lessen the manual job a lot but can't and don't do it all.
      >
      > If Markdown is important for you then I suggest using Perl and perhaps
      > one of the GUIs named above.
      >
      > Axel

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 20, 2011
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "lorellevanfossen" <lorelleonwordpress@...> wrote:

        > So let me try and understand this.
        >
        > If I install Perl (from the link below?) on a Windows 7
        > machine, it will work in the background with NoteTab or it
        > will need to be added to the libraries...

        Hi Lorelle,

        I had never heard of "markdown" until now. It is a perl script, markdown.pl, and Axel thought you were asking about using markdown.pl from a NoteTab clip.

        To do that, you need perl and markdown.pl (obviously), plus a clip which you would create in one of your NoteTab clip libraries with at least one line, e.g.:

        ^!RunPerl "C:\mypath\markdown.pl"

        I don't know if anyone ever created a NoteTab clip that independently does everything in markdown.pl, but NoteTab does have a menu choice to convert from text to html, i.e, Modify->Document->To HTML, as well as a clip function ^$StrtoHTML$. One of those might meet your needs without recreating markdown in clipcode.

        We should probably continue this discussion on the clips list.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • lorellevanfossen
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 23, 2011
          Markdown is an old web language code used on websites and forums, which is why I brought it here. NoteTab easily converts documents into HTML and I want to convert a document written with markdown language into HTML. I don't know what the markdown.pl perl script is unless it converts a markdown written article into HTML.

          For example see http://www.asianefficiency.com/technology/multimarkdown-and-scrivener-for-efficient-blogging/ I know that some text editors convert markdown documents into HTML and I remembered something from years ago that NoteTab might, but it might have been in reference to that markdown.pl script.

          Does that help make it clear what I'm asking?

          Lorelle

          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

          > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "lorellevanfossen" <lorelleonwordpress@> wrote:
          > >
          > > So let me try and understand this.
          > >
          > > If I install Perl (from the link below?) on a Windows 7
          > > machine, it will work in the background with NoteTab or it
          > > will need to be added to the libraries...
          >
          > Hi Lorelle,
          >
          > I had never heard of "markdown" until now. It is a perl script, markdown.pl, and Axel thought you were asking about using markdown.pl from a NoteTab clip.
          >
          > To do that, you need perl and markdown.pl (obviously), plus a clip which you would create in one of your NoteTab clip libraries with at least one line, e.g.:
          >
          > ^!RunPerl "C:\mypath\markdown.pl"
          >
          > I don't know if anyone ever created a NoteTab clip that independently does everything in markdown.pl, but NoteTab does have a menu choice to convert from text to html, i.e, Modify->Document->To HTML, as well as a clip function ^$StrtoHTML$. One of those might meet your needs without recreating markdown in clipcode.
          >
          > We should probably continue this discussion on the clips list.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
            --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "lorellevanfossen" <lorelleonwordpress@...> wrote:

            > Markdown is an old web language code used on websites and forums, which is why I brought it here. NoteTab easily converts documents into HTML and I want to convert a document written with markdown language into HTML. I don't know what the markdown.pl perl script is unless it converts a markdown written article into HTML.
            >
            > For example see http://www.asianefficiency.com/technology/multimarkdown-and-scrivener-for-efficient-blogging/ I know that some text editors convert markdown documents into HTML and I remembered something from years ago that NoteTab might, but it might have been in reference to that markdown.pl script.
            >
            > Does that help make it clear what I'm asking?
            >
            > Lorelle

            Hi Lorelle,

            I don't think you're going to find an already-written stand alone markdown clip, and I don't think it would be a trivial task to make one.

            There's informative wiki entry for Markdown here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown>

            The author of the markdown perl script invented the shorthand code. Its easy to run the script from a clip, but you need Perl and the markdown script. There's also web page that runs markdown.pl where you can paste document text and press a convert button. That's here: <http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/dingus>

            It looks likes multimarkdown is an exe file. Haven't tried it but it should also be easy to use from a short clip. Your clip could run the exe file using ^** to refer to the current document text as a file.

            Regards,
            Sheri