Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Markdown Library Script

Expand Messages
  • lorellevanfossen
    I thought there was a clip or library for converting markdown to HTML. I ve searched through everything and come up empty. Suggestions? Thanks!
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      I thought there was a clip or library for converting markdown to HTML. I've searched through everything and come up empty. Suggestions?

      Thanks!
    • Axel Berger
      ... That script is part of Markdown itself, Unfortunately it s written in Perl, requires Perl 5.6.0 and up, and can be used in Movable Type, in Blosxom, and in
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 19, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        lorellevanfossen wrote:
        > I thought there was a clip or library for converting markdown to
        > HTML. I've searched through everything and come up empty.

        That script is part of Markdown itself, Unfortunately it's written in
        Perl, requires Perl 5.6.0 and up, and can be used in Movable Type, in
        Blosxom, and in BBedit but not in Notetab.

        To me the Perl code looks very strange and it would require a lot of
        work to convert it to a clip. Does clip do recursive functions?

        If I had to, I'd do what I usually do and write a clip made up of
        Replaces starting with the current subset and adding elements as needed.
        That's how my converters from TeX to HTML, from text to TeX and others
        grew. They are nice preprocessors and do most of the routine work, they
        lessen the manual job a lot but can't and don't do it all.

        If Markdown is important for you then I suggest using Perl and perhaps
        one of the GUIs named above.

        Axel
      • Sheri
        ... What?! That s exactly the purpose of the ^!RunPerl clip command. Use ^$GetShort(path to markdown.pl)$ to get a file name you can use with ^!RunPerl.
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 19, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
          >
          > lorellevanfossen wrote:
          > > I thought there was a clip or library for converting markdown to
          > > HTML. I've searched through everything and come up empty.
          >
          > That script is part of Markdown itself, Unfortunately it's
          > written in Perl, requires Perl 5.6.0 and up, and can be used
          > in Movable Type, in Blosxom, and in BBedit but not in
          > Notetab.
          >

          What?! That's exactly the purpose of the ^!RunPerl clip command.

          Use ^$GetShort(path to markdown.pl)$ to get a file name you can use with ^!RunPerl.

          ^!RunPerl applies the specified perl script to the highlighted portion of the current document, or the whole document if there is no highlight.

          Obviously you need to have Perl in order to use ^!RunPerl. If you've never used the command before, it will prompt you to browse to your perl.exe file.

          Been awhile since I updated my perl, but it was installed from ActiveState and I have version 5.10.

          Just downloaded and tried markdown.pl from a NoteTab clip and it worked fine on one of the sample texts from its web site.

          If you have any perl scripts you want to run via clip without applying to text in the current document, you can use ^$GetDosOutput$ (or possibly ^$GetOutput$) to run a perl command line. Just be sure to first use ^$GetShort$ on any file names needed in the command line.

          Regards,
          Sheri
        • Axel Berger
          ... I never knew that. Now I ll only need to find a version of Perl running on Win98. When looking earlier I only found ones for XP and up. Danke Axel
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 19, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            Sheri wrote:
            > What?! That's exactly the purpose of the ^!RunPerl clip command.

            I never knew that. Now I'll only need to find a version of Perl running
            on Win98. When looking earlier I only found ones for XP and up.

            Danke
            Axel
          • Sheri
            ... I had ActiveState Perl installed on Win98 back when. I suspect the only issue is their installer. ActiveState s download is an MSI file, which needs
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 19, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
              >
              > Sheri wrote:
              > > What?! That's exactly the purpose of the ^!RunPerl clip command.
              >
              > I never knew that. Now I'll only need to find a version of
              > Perl running on Win98. When looking earlier I only found
              > ones for XP and up.
              >
              > Danke
              > Axel
              >

              I had ActiveState Perl installed on Win98 back when.

              I suspect the only issue is their installer. ActiveState's download is an MSI file, which needs Windows Installer 2.0 or later. The ActiveState distribution is not "supported" for OS versions earlier than XP, but their docs state that for Win 2000 you need to install Windows installer 2.0 or later. While earlier Windows OS'es are not mentioned, there is a version of the required Windows installer for Win98 available here:
              <http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=21990>

              If I were you I'd try the latest. If you install an old version, among other issues compatible library builds won't be readily available.

              You do need 200 MB disk space available to do the installation, and the install I just did of ActivePerl-5.14.2.1402-MSWin32-x86-295342 took awhile to complete (my CPU is the same one I once used 98 with) but it only ultimately uses 100 MB of space. It installs to C:\Perl and includes numerous libraries, html doc files, sample programs, misc apps (such as one for searching, retrieving and installing new libraries), etc.

              The only thing other than unpack all the files the installer does, is ask you whether you want it add something to your path or associate .pl files with perl.exe. If any doubt it would do those things correctly, decline and do it yourself. Oh, and the installer keeps the fact that you've installed ActiveState in the registry.

              Regards,
              Sheri
            • lorellevanfossen
              Herein lies the problem with this. I don t want to mess with Perl. Left that years ago and was perfectly happy not to return. Looking through the rest of the
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 20, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                Herein lies the problem with this. I don't want to mess with Perl. Left that years ago and was perfectly happy not to return.

                Looking through the rest of the replies but this sounds like a search and replace thing. Find the markdown symbols and replace them with HTML. Simple clean up job, but then I'm not the best expert in NoteTab. :D


                Lorelle





                --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
                >
                > lorellevanfossen wrote:
                > > I thought there was a clip or library for converting markdown to
                > > HTML. I've searched through everything and come up empty.
                >
                > That script is part of Markdown itself, Unfortunately it's written in
                > Perl, requires Perl 5.6.0 and up, and can be used in Movable Type, in
                > Blosxom, and in BBedit but not in Notetab.
                >
                > To me the Perl code looks very strange and it would require a lot of
                > work to convert it to a clip. Does clip do recursive functions?
                >
                > If I had to, I'd do what I usually do and write a clip made up of
                > Replaces starting with the current subset and adding elements as needed.
                > That's how my converters from TeX to HTML, from text to TeX and others
                > grew. They are nice preprocessors and do most of the routine work, they
                > lessen the manual job a lot but can't and don't do it all.
                >
                > If Markdown is important for you then I suggest using Perl and perhaps
                > one of the GUIs named above.
                >
                > Axel
                >
              • lorellevanfossen
                So let me try and understand this. If I install Perl (from the link below?) on a Windows 7 machine, it will work in the background with NoteTab or it will need
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 20, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  So let me try and understand this.

                  If I install Perl (from the link below?) on a Windows 7 machine, it will work in the background with NoteTab or it will need to be added to the libraries...

                  Clearly the fact that I've been awake working with little sleep the past 3 days in impinging upon my ability to get this into my fuzzy brain matter.

                  Spell it out for me and make it easy and I'll head to bed soon, I promise. :D

                  Lorelle

                  --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Sheri wrote:
                  > > > What?! That's exactly the purpose of the ^!RunPerl clip command.
                  > >
                  > > I never knew that. Now I'll only need to find a version of
                  > > Perl running on Win98. When looking earlier I only found
                  > > ones for XP and up.
                  > >
                  > > Danke
                  > > Axel
                  > >
                  >
                  > I had ActiveState Perl installed on Win98 back when.
                  >
                  > I suspect the only issue is their installer. ActiveState's download is an MSI file, which needs Windows Installer 2.0 or later. The ActiveState distribution is not "supported" for OS versions earlier than XP, but their docs state that for Win 2000 you need to install Windows installer 2.0 or later. While earlier Windows OS'es are not mentioned, there is a version of the required Windows installer for Win98 available here:
                  > <http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=21990>
                  >
                  > If I were you I'd try the latest. If you install an old version, among other issues compatible library builds won't be readily available.
                  >
                  > You do need 200 MB disk space available to do the installation, and the install I just did of ActivePerl-5.14.2.1402-MSWin32-x86-295342 took awhile to complete (my CPU is the same one I once used 98 with) but it only ultimately uses 100 MB of space. It installs to C:\Perl and includes numerous libraries, html doc files, sample programs, misc apps (such as one for searching, retrieving and installing new libraries), etc.
                  >
                  > The only thing other than unpack all the files the installer does, is ask you whether you want it add something to your path or associate .pl files with perl.exe. If any doubt it would do those things correctly, decline and do it yourself. Oh, and the installer keeps the fact that you've installed ActiveState in the registry.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Sheri
                  >
                • Sheri
                  ... Hi Lorelle, I had never heard of markdown until now. It is a perl script, markdown.pl, and Axel thought you were asking about using markdown.pl from a
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 20, 2011
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "lorellevanfossen" <lorelleonwordpress@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > So let me try and understand this.
                    >
                    > If I install Perl (from the link below?) on a Windows 7
                    > machine, it will work in the background with NoteTab or it
                    > will need to be added to the libraries...

                    Hi Lorelle,

                    I had never heard of "markdown" until now. It is a perl script, markdown.pl, and Axel thought you were asking about using markdown.pl from a NoteTab clip.

                    To do that, you need perl and markdown.pl (obviously), plus a clip which you would create in one of your NoteTab clip libraries with at least one line, e.g.:

                    ^!RunPerl "C:\mypath\markdown.pl"

                    I don't know if anyone ever created a NoteTab clip that independently does everything in markdown.pl, but NoteTab does have a menu choice to convert from text to html, i.e, Modify->Document->To HTML, as well as a clip function ^$StrtoHTML$. One of those might meet your needs without recreating markdown in clipcode.

                    We should probably continue this discussion on the clips list.

                    Regards,
                    Sheri
                  • lorellevanfossen
                    Markdown is an old web language code used on websites and forums, which is why I brought it here. NoteTab easily converts documents into HTML and I want to
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 23, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Markdown is an old web language code used on websites and forums, which is why I brought it here. NoteTab easily converts documents into HTML and I want to convert a document written with markdown language into HTML. I don't know what the markdown.pl perl script is unless it converts a markdown written article into HTML.

                      For example see http://www.asianefficiency.com/technology/multimarkdown-and-scrivener-for-efficient-blogging/ I know that some text editors convert markdown documents into HTML and I remembered something from years ago that NoteTab might, but it might have been in reference to that markdown.pl script.

                      Does that help make it clear what I'm asking?

                      Lorelle

                      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "lorellevanfossen" <lorelleonwordpress@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > So let me try and understand this.
                      > >
                      > > If I install Perl (from the link below?) on a Windows 7
                      > > machine, it will work in the background with NoteTab or it
                      > > will need to be added to the libraries...
                      >
                      > Hi Lorelle,
                      >
                      > I had never heard of "markdown" until now. It is a perl script, markdown.pl, and Axel thought you were asking about using markdown.pl from a NoteTab clip.
                      >
                      > To do that, you need perl and markdown.pl (obviously), plus a clip which you would create in one of your NoteTab clip libraries with at least one line, e.g.:
                      >
                      > ^!RunPerl "C:\mypath\markdown.pl"
                      >
                      > I don't know if anyone ever created a NoteTab clip that independently does everything in markdown.pl, but NoteTab does have a menu choice to convert from text to html, i.e, Modify->Document->To HTML, as well as a clip function ^$StrtoHTML$. One of those might meet your needs without recreating markdown in clipcode.
                      >
                      > We should probably continue this discussion on the clips list.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Sheri
                      >
                    • Sheri
                      ... Hi Lorelle, I don t think you re going to find an already-written stand alone markdown clip, and I don t think it would be a trivial task to make one.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
                      • 0 Attachment
                        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "lorellevanfossen" <lorelleonwordpress@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Markdown is an old web language code used on websites and forums, which is why I brought it here. NoteTab easily converts documents into HTML and I want to convert a document written with markdown language into HTML. I don't know what the markdown.pl perl script is unless it converts a markdown written article into HTML.
                        >
                        > For example see http://www.asianefficiency.com/technology/multimarkdown-and-scrivener-for-efficient-blogging/ I know that some text editors convert markdown documents into HTML and I remembered something from years ago that NoteTab might, but it might have been in reference to that markdown.pl script.
                        >
                        > Does that help make it clear what I'm asking?
                        >
                        > Lorelle

                        Hi Lorelle,

                        I don't think you're going to find an already-written stand alone markdown clip, and I don't think it would be a trivial task to make one.

                        There's informative wiki entry for Markdown here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown>

                        The author of the markdown perl script invented the shorthand code. Its easy to run the script from a clip, but you need Perl and the markdown script. There's also web page that runs markdown.pl where you can paste document text and press a convert button. That's here: <http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/dingus>

                        It looks likes multimarkdown is an exe file. Haven't tried it but it should also be easy to use from a short clip. Your clip could run the exe file using ^** to refer to the current document text as a file.

                        Regards,
                        Sheri
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.