Re: [NH] utf-8

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2011
      Interviewed by CNN on 06/09/2011 08:39, Adrien Verlee told the world:
      > To be sure...
      > Adding:

      > is that all to do to benefiet of utf-8 ? So there is no need to convert
      > special characters to a numeric equivalent?
      >
      > And what with " and ' if I want them curled?

      Oh, it's a bit more complicated than that...

      Notetab has only limited support for Unicode: it can display an Unicode
      (UTF-8) file, but will do so in read-only mode. So adding the <meta> tag
      won't help very much.

      If you want special characters in your HTML code, though... the most
      common ones (like curly quotes) are available in the Win-1252 code page.
      Basically, if you can type them in Notetab, they are in Win-1252.

      So, a better option while editing would be to use the following <meta> tag:

      If you want to convert the page to a different encoding before uploading
      to your server, you can use an external tool to do so. The free HTMLTidy
      has this ability, among other things. Don't forget, though, that
      *ideally* you should set up your server to send the correct HTTP
      headers, instead of using the <meta http-equiv> tag.

      --
      MCBastos

      use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

      -=-=-