utf-8

  • Adrien Verlee
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6 4:39 AM
      To be sure...
      Adding:

      is that all to do to benefiet of utf-8 ? So there is no need to convert
      special characters to a numeric equivalent?

      And what with " and ' if I want them curled?
      Thanks!
      --
      Adrien
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6 1:34 PM
        Interviewed by CNN on 06/09/2011 08:39, Adrien Verlee told the world:
        > To be sure...
        > Adding:

        > is that all to do to benefiet of utf-8 ? So there is no need to convert
        > special characters to a numeric equivalent?
        >
        > And what with " and ' if I want them curled?

        Oh, it's a bit more complicated than that...

        Notetab has only limited support for Unicode: it can display an Unicode
        (UTF-8) file, but will do so in read-only mode. So adding the <meta> tag
        won't help very much.

        If you want special characters in your HTML code, though... the most
        common ones (like curly quotes) are available in the Win-1252 code page.
        Basically, if you can type them in Notetab, they are in Win-1252.

        So, a better option while editing would be to use the following <meta> tag:

        If you want to convert the page to a different encoding before uploading
        to your server, you can use an external tool to do so. The free HTMLTidy
        has this ability, among other things. Don't forget, though, that
        *ideally* you should set up your server to send the correct HTTP
        headers, instead of using the <meta http-equiv> tag.

        --
        MCBastos

        use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

        -=-=-