Re: [NH] Specify BorderColor in Table Tag?

  • rhorbas@gmx.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
      Hi Ray,

      should read:

      but this just sets a border around the table. To apply a border to the
      cells, you'd have to explicitly apply the style to them:

      or better use a class instead:

      td.border {
      border: 1px solid FFCC00;
      }

      Rudi
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        > style="bordercolor: #FFCC00"

        The correct syntax for CSS is:

        border-color: #FFCC00;

        > Yes, I know I ought to abandon tables altogether and do all
        > my formatting in CSS

        This point is often overstated. Tables are fine for genuinely tabular
        material. Not the "frames" in a window, but one example I use is an
        image and its caption. These two items belong together and may be placed
        in a (small, two cell) table. One could also use a DIV, but TABLE is the
        more semantic markup here, imho. I dislike tables with one row all
        images and one row all captions, because they group things that do not
        belong together.

        This will become more relevant when "display: inline-table;" will be
        supported by browsers. It probably is already in ones newer than those I
        use.

        Axel
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
          Hi Rudi and Axel,

          Thank you both. I did Google for this kind of info, but you guys went beyond
          my original question, and gave me info even more useful.

          Thanks again.

          Ray Shapp

          On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:58 AM, <rhorbas@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ray,

          > should read:

          > but this just sets a border around the table. To apply a border to the
          > cells, you'd have to explicitly apply the style to them:
          >
          > or better use a class instead:

          > td.border {
          > border: 1px solid FFCC00;
          > }

          > Rudi

        • M Peloquin
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
            Shouldn't the color be #FFCCZeroZero in my email it appreared to be
            #FFCCohoh

            On 4/4/2011 7:36 AM, Ray Shapp wrote:
            > Hi Rudi and Axel,
            >
            > Thank you both. I did Google for this kind of info, but you guys went beyond
            > my original question, and gave me info even more useful.
            >
            > Thanks again.
            >
            > Ray Shapp
            >

            > On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:58 AM,<rhorbas@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Hi Ray,

            >> should read:

            >> but this just sets a border around the table. To apply a border to the
            >> cells, you'd have to explicitly apply the style to them:
            >>
            >> or better use a class instead:

            >> td.border {
            >> border: 1px solid FFCC00;
            >> }

            >> Rudi

            You do not change people by shouting at them.
            - Precious Ramotswe -
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
              M Peloquin wrote:
              > in my email it appreared to be #FFCCohoh

              I believe you must be mistaken.

              Axel
            • Rudolf Horbas
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                M Peloquin schrieb am 04.04.2011 15:05:
                > Shouldn't the color be #FFCCZeroZero in my email it appreared to be
                > #FFCCohoh

                I just converted the FFCC00 to lower case and got ffcc00.

                Rudi

              • bruce.somers@web.de
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                  I too, read FFCCoo and not FFCC00.

                  Bruce

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                    Oh, oh! web.de seems to be replacing zeroes with the letter o. Strange.
                    Bruce

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                      bruce.somers@... schrieb am 04.04.2011 18:52:
                      > I too, read FFCCoo and not FFCC00.

                      It's all FFCC00 (zerozero) here:

                      Note: The font for zero is kind of strange, looks like a small case "o"

                      Rudi

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                        bruce.somers@... wrote:
                        > I too, read FFCCoo and not FFCC00.

                        If I may be so bold you might try choosing a better font.

                        Axel
                      • bruce.somers@web.de
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                          You're right, Gentlemen. It's hex(30). For some reason, postings from the list arrive as "Design-Mail".

                          If I select "Text-Mail", the lower-case oh becomes a zero!

                          Sorry for all the fuss.

                          Bruce
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                            bruce.somers@... wrote:
                            > Sorry for all the fuss.

                            I keep being told how backward I am. So I actually enjoy these reminders
                            every now and again.

                            N.B: Just look at the wording with which e.g. the BBC and chabad.org
                            tout their HTML newsletters and denigrate the text ones. Yahoo is at it
                            too, calling them "Fully Featured New & Improved!" and "Traditional"
                            respectively.

                            Axel
                          • Marcelo Bastos
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                              Interviewed by CNN on 05/04/2011 09:54, Axel Berger told the world:
                              > bruce.somers@... wrote:
                              >> Sorry for all the fuss.
                              >
                              > I keep being told how backward I am. So I actually enjoy these reminders
                              > every now and again.
                              >
                              > N.B: Just look at the wording with which e.g. the BBC and chabad.org
                              > tout their HTML newsletters and denigrate the text ones. Yahoo is at it
                              > too, calling them "Fully Featured New & Improved!" and "Traditional"
                              > respectively.

                              "Fully featured" is marketing-speak for "choke-full with ads."
                              Apparently ads are "features" now. I feel old, I thought ads were shown
                              BEFORE the feature, to fill time while you were buying popcorn and
                              finding your seat, not the feature itself.

                              --
                              MCBastos

                              use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

                              -=-=-
                              ... Sent from my Bandar talking drum.
                            • bruce.somers@web.de

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                                  Interviewed by CNN on 05/04/2011 11:44, bruce.somers@... told the world:
                                  > It is odd that all postings that I receive from the list are HTML-Mail.
                                  >
                                  > If I try to post them to the list with comments, they are refused! Humorous?

                                  Actually, this is a combination of two settings:

                                  - Your setting for this list is to receive messages in the so-called
                                  "full-featured" format. This means that even plaintext messages will be
                                  converted to HTML (with a few niceties, and of course... ads).

                                  - The overall setting for the list, OTOH, is set to refuse attachments
                                  (which includes HTML versions of the messages). Some mail clients,
                                  however, don't bother to send a plaintext version along the HTML
                                  messages -- in that case, there will be nothing left after the filter
                                  strips the attachment.

                                  If you go to your "My Groups" page, open the notetab-html list page and
                                  change the settings to receive messages in the "traditional" format, the
                                  problem disappears.

                                  --
                                  MCBastos

                                  use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.