Specify BorderColor in Table Tag?

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4 2:23 AM
      To all,

      One of my web pages validates in all respects except I get a warning because
      bordercolor in a <Table> tag is proprietary.

      The following did not produce yellow borders around the cells of the table:

      style="bordercolor: #FFCC00" cellspacing="0" width="800">

      The following does produce the desired yellow borders, but it fails
      validation with the "proprietary" warning.

      bordercolor="#FFCC00" cellspacing="0" width="800">

      Yes, I know I ought to abandon tables altogether and do all my formatting in
      CSS, but I'm not ready to do that just yet. Please tell me if I can retain
      the use of the Table tag and change the border color in a valid way. The
      page already uses an external style sheet in other areas. Maybe there is a
      way to attach a border color attribute to the table by doing so in the style
      sheet. I tried several variations of table { ... } but none worked.

      Thank you for your help.

      Ray Shapp

    • rhorbas@gmx.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4 2:58 AM
        Hi Ray,

        should read:

        but this just sets a border around the table. To apply a border to the
        cells, you'd have to explicitly apply the style to them:

        or better use a class instead:

        td.border {
        border: 1px solid FFCC00;
        }

        Rudi
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4 2:59 AM
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          > style="bordercolor: #FFCC00"

          The correct syntax for CSS is:

          border-color: #FFCC00;

          > Yes, I know I ought to abandon tables altogether and do all
          > my formatting in CSS

          This point is often overstated. Tables are fine for genuinely tabular
          material. Not the "frames" in a window, but one example I use is an
          image and its caption. These two items belong together and may be placed
          in a (small, two cell) table. One could also use a DIV, but TABLE is the
          more semantic markup here, imho. I dislike tables with one row all
          images and one row all captions, because they group things that do not
          belong together.

          This will become more relevant when "display: inline-table;" will be
          supported by browsers. It probably is already in ones newer than those I
          use.

          Axel
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4 5:36 AM
            Hi Rudi and Axel,

            Thank you both. I did Google for this kind of info, but you guys went beyond
            my original question, and gave me info even more useful.

            Thanks again.

            Ray Shapp

            On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:58 AM, <rhorbas@...> wrote:

            > Hi Ray,

            > should read:

            > but this just sets a border around the table. To apply a border to the
            > cells, you'd have to explicitly apply the style to them:
            >
            > or better use a class instead:

            > td.border {
            > border: 1px solid FFCC00;
            > }

            > Rudi

          • M Peloquin
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4 6:05 AM
              Shouldn't the color be #FFCCZeroZero in my email it appreared to be
              #FFCCohoh

              On 4/4/2011 7:36 AM, Ray Shapp wrote:
              > Hi Rudi and Axel,
              >
              > Thank you both. I did Google for this kind of info, but you guys went beyond
              > my original question, and gave me info even more useful.
              >
              > Thanks again.
              >
              > Ray Shapp
              >

              > On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:58 AM,<rhorbas@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Hi Ray,

              >> should read:

              >> but this just sets a border around the table. To apply a border to the
              >> cells, you'd have to explicitly apply the style to them:
              >>
              >> or better use a class instead:

              >> td.border {
              >> border: 1px solid FFCC00;
              >> }

              >> Rudi

              You do not change people by shouting at them.
              - Precious Ramotswe -
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4 6:07 AM
                M Peloquin wrote:
                > in my email it appreared to be #FFCCohoh

                I believe you must be mistaken.

                Axel
              • Rudolf Horbas
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4 6:41 AM
                  M Peloquin schrieb am 04.04.2011 15:05:
                  > Shouldn't the color be #FFCCZeroZero in my email it appreared to be
                  > #FFCCohoh

                  I just converted the FFCC00 to lower case and got ffcc00.

                  Rudi

                • bruce.somers@web.de
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4 9:52 AM
                    I too, read FFCCoo and not FFCC00.

                    Bruce

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4 10:01 AM
                      Oh, oh! web.de seems to be replacing zeroes with the letter o. Strange.
                      Bruce

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4 10:10 AM
                        bruce.somers@... schrieb am 04.04.2011 18:52:
                        > I too, read FFCCoo and not FFCC00.

                        It's all FFCC00 (zerozero) here:

                        Note: The font for zero is kind of strange, looks like a small case "o"

                        Rudi

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4 10:15 AM
                          bruce.somers@... wrote:
                          > I too, read FFCCoo and not FFCC00.

                          If I may be so bold you might try choosing a better font.

                          Axel
                        • bruce.somers@web.de
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5 5:16 AM
                            You're right, Gentlemen. It's hex(30). For some reason, postings from the list arrive as "Design-Mail".

                            If I select "Text-Mail", the lower-case oh becomes a zero!

                            Sorry for all the fuss.

                            Bruce
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 5 5:54 AM
                              bruce.somers@... wrote:
                              > Sorry for all the fuss.

                              I keep being told how backward I am. So I actually enjoy these reminders
                              every now and again.

                              N.B: Just look at the wording with which e.g. the BBC and chabad.org
                              tout their HTML newsletters and denigrate the text ones. Yahoo is at it
                              too, calling them "Fully Featured New & Improved!" and "Traditional"
                              respectively.

                              Axel
                            • Marcelo Bastos
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 5 6:03 AM
                                Interviewed by CNN on 05/04/2011 09:54, Axel Berger told the world:
                                > bruce.somers@... wrote:
                                >> Sorry for all the fuss.
                                >
                                > I keep being told how backward I am. So I actually enjoy these reminders
                                > every now and again.
                                >
                                > N.B: Just look at the wording with which e.g. the BBC and chabad.org
                                > tout their HTML newsletters and denigrate the text ones. Yahoo is at it
                                > too, calling them "Fully Featured New & Improved!" and "Traditional"
                                > respectively.

                                "Fully featured" is marketing-speak for "choke-full with ads."
                                Apparently ads are "features" now. I feel old, I thought ads were shown
                                BEFORE the feature, to fill time while you were buying popcorn and
                                finding your seat, not the feature itself.

                                --
                                MCBastos

                                use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

                                -=-=-
                                ... Sent from my Bandar talking drum.
                              • bruce.somers@web.de

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 5 7:56 AM
                                    Interviewed by CNN on 05/04/2011 11:44, bruce.somers@... told the world:
                                    > It is odd that all postings that I receive from the list are HTML-Mail.
                                    >
                                    > If I try to post them to the list with comments, they are refused! Humorous?

                                    Actually, this is a combination of two settings:

                                    - Your setting for this list is to receive messages in the so-called
                                    "full-featured" format. This means that even plaintext messages will be
                                    converted to HTML (with a few niceties, and of course... ads).

                                    - The overall setting for the list, OTOH, is set to refuse attachments
                                    (which includes HTML versions of the messages). Some mail clients,
                                    however, don't bother to send a plaintext version along the HTML
                                    messages -- in that case, there will be nothing left after the filter
                                    strips the attachment.

                                    If you go to your "My Groups" page, open the notetab-html list page and
                                    change the settings to receive messages in the "traditional" format, the
                                    problem disappears.

                                    --
                                    MCBastos

                                    use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.