Use of "content" CSS elements in IE

  • brother.gabriel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2011
      Hello, y'all! I want to use this CSS code, but the quotation marks won't display in IE7. Is this for real, or is there a way to make it work?

      .quote{
      font-style:italic;
      font-size: 12pt;
      }
      .quote:before{
      content: open-quote;
      color: red;
      }
      .quote:after{
      content: close-quote;
      color: red;
      }
      .quote.last:after{
      content: close-quote;
      color: red;
      }
      -BGM
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2011
        "brother.gabriel" wrote:
        > won't display in IE7.
        > Is this for real, or is there a way to make it work?

        It is, neither before nor after nor content are supported. For things
        like that I recommend the excellent tables by Peter Paul Koch at
        http://www.quirksmode.org/compatibility.html

        Being lazy and a bit of a compatibility nut, my solution is to stay well
        clear of all those newfangled inventions and stick to tradition. If you
        do fancy all the newest and greatest then you're in for a lot of testing
        and workarounds. PPK's comprehensive tables are invaluable then.

        Axel
      • brother.gabriel
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2011
          Well, I can understand IE not wanting to be compatible with the world, but pseudo-elements are CSS2 - old news, nothing new-fangled. Thanks for the reminder!