Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
      Quoting Axel:
      Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
      this is what I see:

      http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

      That's odd! Here is what I see:

      http://www.classiccars.ws/testing/ScreenShot004.jpg

      Notice they use a link title as well as hover pop-up. That's probably
      because some browsers are deliberately set to ignore JavaScript or are
      unable to do so. I am using Firefox v3.6.16 under Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

      Quoting Lotta:
      Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup

      That makes sense. Otherwise my pop-up blocker would prevent me from seeing
      the enhanced menu.

      Ray Shapp

      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        > That's odd!

        Not odd at all, self-inflicted. In Firefox the setting is found in
        Tools-->Options-->Content-->Colors-->Allow pages...-->No

        The reason is that now all text on all pages is optimally legible
        whatever bad contrast and noisy background a misguided designer-artist
        may have chosen. As Jacob Nielsen keeps saying, people do not browse to
        pages to admire their beauty but to find things and get things done as
        quickly and as efficiently as possible. The default background of all
        elements except <BODY> is transparent and if I forbid changing that,
        that's what I'll get and hovering in front of other content won't work
        for text.

        Your mileage may vary, but whenever I turn colours back on for a page
        like that one I tend to leave it on for a while and I find that very
        soon the terrible abominations of taste I'm confronted with make me turn
        it off very soon again. But be that as it may, it is a fully legal
        setting that ALL browsers offer right there as a menu switch, so just
        like script on and off, a minimum font size, and varying window size
        conscientious designers have to be prepared for it and ensure their
        designs basic useability. An ugly kludge is fine, it is self inflicted
        by the visitor after all, but useable it has to be.

        One possibility would be hover an image, one white pixel with width and
        height in em, and hover the text in front of that. Contrary to script
        there is no way, not even employing script, to find out what the
        vistor's settings are so it's not possible to employ the cludge only
        when needed. With bad luck your image has exactly the visitor's font
        colour and will make things even worse.