Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      >I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
      >Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
      >"Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
      >product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
      >a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
      >sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
      >pop-up"?

      Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup ( a new window). It's a
      section of the same page that was previously hidden that is shown
      when the link is hovered.

      Lotta
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
        Quoting Axel:
        Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
        this is what I see:

        http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

        That's odd! Here is what I see:

        http://www.classiccars.ws/testing/ScreenShot004.jpg

        Notice they use a link title as well as hover pop-up. That's probably
        because some browsers are deliberately set to ignore JavaScript or are
        unable to do so. I am using Firefox v3.6.16 under Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

        Quoting Lotta:
        Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup

        That makes sense. Otherwise my pop-up blocker would prevent me from seeing
        the enhanced menu.

        Ray Shapp

        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          > That's odd!

          Not odd at all, self-inflicted. In Firefox the setting is found in
          Tools-->Options-->Content-->Colors-->Allow pages...-->No

          The reason is that now all text on all pages is optimally legible
          whatever bad contrast and noisy background a misguided designer-artist
          may have chosen. As Jacob Nielsen keeps saying, people do not browse to
          pages to admire their beauty but to find things and get things done as
          quickly and as efficiently as possible. The default background of all
          elements except <BODY> is transparent and if I forbid changing that,
          that's what I'll get and hovering in front of other content won't work
          for text.

          Your mileage may vary, but whenever I turn colours back on for a page
          like that one I tend to leave it on for a while and I find that very
          soon the terrible abominations of taste I'm confronted with make me turn
          it off very soon again. But be that as it may, it is a fully legal
          setting that ALL browsers offer right there as a menu switch, so just
          like script on and off, a minimum font size, and varying window size
          conscientious designers have to be prepared for it and ensure their
          designs basic useability. An ugly kludge is fine, it is self inflicted
          by the visitor after all, but useable it has to be.

          One possibility would be hover an image, one white pixel with width and
          height in em, and hover the text in front of that. Contrary to script
          there is no way, not even employing script, to find out what the
          vistor's settings are so it's not possible to employ the cludge only
          when needed. With bad luck your image has exactly the visitor's font
          colour and will make things even worse.