Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than I had imagined
      > (assuming that is not a very old photo of you).

      My daughter keeps chiding me about that. It's more than thirty years old
      and I was younger then than she's now. It happens to be the only
      photograph
      of myself I ever liked.
      A more current one is this Buddha
      http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Axel.jpg

      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        >I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
        >Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
        >"Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
        >product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
        >a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
        >sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
        >pop-up"?

        Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup ( a new window). It's a
        section of the same page that was previously hidden that is shown
        when the link is hovered.

        Lotta
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
          Quoting Axel:
          Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
          this is what I see:

          http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

          That's odd! Here is what I see:

          http://www.classiccars.ws/testing/ScreenShot004.jpg

          Notice they use a link title as well as hover pop-up. That's probably
          because some browsers are deliberately set to ignore JavaScript or are
          unable to do so. I am using Firefox v3.6.16 under Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

          Quoting Lotta:
          Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup

          That makes sense. Otherwise my pop-up blocker would prevent me from seeing
          the enhanced menu.

          Ray Shapp

          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            > That's odd!

            Not odd at all, self-inflicted. In Firefox the setting is found in
            Tools-->Options-->Content-->Colors-->Allow pages...-->No

            The reason is that now all text on all pages is optimally legible
            whatever bad contrast and noisy background a misguided designer-artist
            may have chosen. As Jacob Nielsen keeps saying, people do not browse to
            pages to admire their beauty but to find things and get things done as
            quickly and as efficiently as possible. The default background of all
            elements except <BODY> is transparent and if I forbid changing that,
            that's what I'll get and hovering in front of other content won't work
            for text.

            Your mileage may vary, but whenever I turn colours back on for a page
            like that one I tend to leave it on for a while and I find that very
            soon the terrible abominations of taste I'm confronted with make me turn
            it off very soon again. But be that as it may, it is a fully legal
            setting that ALL browsers offer right there as a menu switch, so just
            like script on and off, a minimum font size, and varying window size
            conscientious designers have to be prepared for it and ensure their
            designs basic useability. An ugly kludge is fine, it is self inflicted
            by the visitor after all, but useable it has to be.

            One possibility would be hover an image, one white pixel with width and
            height in em, and hover the text in front of that. Contrary to script
            there is no way, not even employing script, to find out what the
            vistor's settings are so it's not possible to employ the cludge only
            when needed. With bad luck your image has exactly the visitor's font
            colour and will make things even worse.