Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > Is this an example of a "hover-based pop-up"?

      Yes, exactly.
      > Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware
      > on the NewEgg site are illegible for you?

      I am. Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
      this is what I see:

      http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

      > Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
      > spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

      Yes. Mostly it seems to be because many authors just don't know how to
      do it in pure CSS. On the other hand this example conforms to a
      useability rule of adding a slight delay. See:
      http://www.useit.com/alertbox/mega-dropdown-menus.html
      under the heading "Speed".

      So here script is good, but they ought to implement pure CSS first and
      have the script, when running, turn that off first and replace it by the
      better version. Never exclude visitors without script.

      By the way my sample design employs the CSS solution in the left menu
      and it shows the problems with that. Try moving down to a certain top
      menu entry from the top, you'll fail. I ought to write a script with
      delay for that, but then we all ought to do many things ...

      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        > BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than I had imagined
        > (assuming that is not a very old photo of you).

        My daughter keeps chiding me about that. It's more than thirty years old
        and I was younger then than she's now. It happens to be the only
        photograph
        of myself I ever liked.
        A more current one is this Buddha
        http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Axel.jpg

        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          >I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
          >Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
          >"Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
          >product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
          >a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
          >sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
          >pop-up"?

          Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup ( a new window). It's a
          section of the same page that was previously hidden that is shown
          when the link is hovered.

          Lotta
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
            Quoting Axel:
            Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
            this is what I see:

            http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

            That's odd! Here is what I see:

            http://www.classiccars.ws/testing/ScreenShot004.jpg

            Notice they use a link title as well as hover pop-up. That's probably
            because some browsers are deliberately set to ignore JavaScript or are
            unable to do so. I am using Firefox v3.6.16 under Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

            Quoting Lotta:
            Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup

            That makes sense. Otherwise my pop-up blocker would prevent me from seeing
            the enhanced menu.

            Ray Shapp

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
              Ray Shapp wrote:
              > That's odd!

              Not odd at all, self-inflicted. In Firefox the setting is found in
              Tools-->Options-->Content-->Colors-->Allow pages...-->No

              The reason is that now all text on all pages is optimally legible
              whatever bad contrast and noisy background a misguided designer-artist
              may have chosen. As Jacob Nielsen keeps saying, people do not browse to
              pages to admire their beauty but to find things and get things done as
              quickly and as efficiently as possible. The default background of all
              elements except <BODY> is transparent and if I forbid changing that,
              that's what I'll get and hovering in front of other content won't work
              for text.

              Your mileage may vary, but whenever I turn colours back on for a page
              like that one I tend to leave it on for a while and I find that very
              soon the terrible abominations of taste I'm confronted with make me turn
              it off very soon again. But be that as it may, it is a fully legal
              setting that ALL browsers offer right there as a menu switch, so just
              like script on and off, a minimum font size, and varying window size
              conscientious designers have to be prepared for it and ensure their
              designs basic useability. An ugly kludge is fine, it is self inflicted
              by the visitor after all, but useable it has to be.

              One possibility would be hover an image, one white pixel with width and
              height in em, and hover the text in front of that. Contrary to script
              there is no way, not even employing script, to find out what the
              vistor's settings are so it's not possible to employ the cludge only
              when needed. With bad luck your image has exactly the visitor's font
              colour and will make things even worse.