Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"!!

  • Michael Rawley
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
      Axel Burger wrote
      > the big advantage was, that it made
      > writing the site quite easy. Without frames each complete page is one
      > HTML-file. You have to include the menu in each and every one of them
      > and what's worse, you have to aplly all changes to all the files. A
      > nightmare.
      > Axel

      Making the same changes to a folder full of files is easy! It is also rather
      scary, but the feeling of achievement in modifying 300 odd files in one go
      is worth it

      I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.

      Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

      Michael Rawley
      www.normist.co.uk
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
        Hi Axel, Lotta, Mike,

        This is just to let you know I haven't gone away. I've spent the whole day
        trying to learn the lessons contained in Axel's great tutorial at
        http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Webdesign/Testpage.htm# and to consider
        carefully what you folks have said in your messages.

        So far, I have successfully tested my first web page using SSI. I discovered
        it was failing because Apache requires a file extension like ".shtm". After
        fixing that, I was able to confirm that the hosting service for the club's
        website does act on SSI directives, but a site for classic car restorations
        (at a different hosting service) which I also maintain does not. It merely
        renders the SSI as text. That's OK for now because it's the club's site that
        I want to modify to eliminate the use of frames.

        I also placed a German dictionary in my bookmarks, and I had fun trying to
        understand some of the comments linked from
        http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than
        I had imagined (assuming that is not
        a very old photo of you).

        Most of what I have seen today is quite daunting because it's new to me. A
        basic question before I go much farther though: my main nav bar in the
        redesigned website will be along the top of the page. Can SSI and a
        modification of the script at
        http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
        when the user scrolls down the page?

        If this discussion does nothing else, it will definitely reduce the number
        of instances where I use target="_blank". On the other hand, I have special
        audiences for both the club website and the classic car website. In the
        first case, the majority of users do need extra hand-holding. Most don't
        know about the drop-down window on the Back button, and they don't want to
        learn about it. We have a wide range of ages in the club, but the modal
        member is probably 55 to 60 years of age. The important audience on the
        classic cars website is special because the content of the site is mostly
        about rare vehicles. For example, users who want to know about 1918 Cadillac
        laundry trucks will want to stay on our site because the internet doesn't
        offer many other places to see that kind of vehicle. The site is also
        special because car enthusiasts tend to be unfamiliar with web navigation.
        It was after speaking with a number of visitors that we realized many of
        them were not scrolling vertically. In response, we placed a large white
        downward-pointing arrow labeled "more below" on the Home page. All our
        thumbnails are accompanied by a hint indicating that a click on the picture
        will display a larger version. Otherwise many visitors will miss important
        content.

        I need to take my first break all day now to get something to eat, but I'll
        be back later. I really like working with this stuff. Thank you all!

        Ray Shapp

        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
          Ray wrote:
          >Can SSI and a modification of the script at
          >http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
          >when the user scrolls down the page?

          Includes don't do anything more than glue the content of files
          together before the page is served, like a server-side Find &
          Replace, you could say, only it isn't permanent, the physical files
          aren't changed.

          I think you are looking for 'position: fixed' (that isn't supported
          by older versions of IE, but there are workarounds).
          http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-position

          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
            Michael Rawley wrote:
            > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
            > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

            You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
            forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
            there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
            deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
            into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
            clip.

            Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
            the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
            in a dummy folder first.

            Beware of long lines

            ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
            ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
            ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
            ; End of invidual adaptation

            ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
            ;^!SetDebug On
            ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
            Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
            file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
            %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
            ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
            ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
            :yessub
            ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
            ^!Goto loop
            :nosub
            ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
            :loop
            ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
            ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
            ^!Open "^%varFIL%"

            ; Adapt this part to the task in hand

            ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
            "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
            ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
            "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS

            ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
            "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS

            ; End of invidual adaptation

            ^!Close ALL,SAVE
            ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
            ^!Goto loop
            :finished
            ^!CloseFileFind

            > Michael Rawley
            > www.normist.co.uk

            Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
              Hi Michael and Axel,

              I will definitely need to use the global replace command in NoteTab
              (Ctrl+D), however it will be done piecemeal on limited subsections of the
              site. Currently I have nearly 6,000 files in 238 folders on the astronomy
              club's website. More than 3,000 of the files are JPGs, PDFs, XLS files, and
              DOC files, but that still leaves about 2300 html pages. The index frame
              points to 21 subsections in addition to the Home page. Over the past 12
              years well over a dozen members created and edited various web pages or
              whole sections of the site, and they used a wide variety of formats.

              While eliminating the frames, I want to develop a single CSS style sheet
              that will apply to most HTML pages. I want also a fixed nav bar preferably
              at the top of every page. Most of the current web pages were designed for
              800x600 resolution displays. I want to change that to 1024x768. Of course,
              the site needs to remain usable during the transition, and I am working
              alone on this project. Our hosting plan allows 5GB of storage, and we are
              using only a little over 1GB now. I think it may be best to duplicate the
              entire site using an alternate web address as I convert sections to the new
              format. I'll give out the alternate address to only a few members who might
              have constructive comments about usability of the new design. Axel's clip
              (shown below) will be very useful for making conversions on well-defined
              subsections of the site.

              I don't have any time limit. The only time pressure I feel is
              self-generated.

              Ray Shapp

              On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

              > Michael Rawley wrote:
              > > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
              > > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!
              >
              > You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
              > forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
              > there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
              > deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
              > into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
              > clip.
              >
              > Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
              > the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
              > in a dummy folder first.
              >
              > Beware of long lines
              >
              > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
              > ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
              > ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
              > ; End of invidual adaptation
              >
              > ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
              > ;^!SetDebug On
              > ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
              > Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
              > file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
              > %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
              > ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
              > ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
              > :yessub
              > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
              > ^!Goto loop
              > :nosub
              > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
              > :loop
              > ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
              > ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
              > ^!Open "^%varFIL%"
              >
              > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
              >
              > ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
              > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
              > ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
              > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS
              >
              > ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
              > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS
              >
              > ; End of invidual adaptation
              >
              > ^!Close ALL,SAVE
              > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
              > ^!Goto loop
              > :finished
              > ^!CloseFileFind
              >

              > > Michael Rawley
              > > www.normist.co.uk

              > --
              > Johann-H�ck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

            • Scott Fordin
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                FWIW, I think that, in most cases, you don't want to open links in new
                windows for many of the reasons already mentioned here. For example, I
                know the style guidelines for all external Sun Microsystems (let's take
                a moment here to shed a tear) Web sites specifically prohibited spawning
                new windows except in relatively rare circumstances.

                There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows
                when you want to provide additional information about a topic or product
                without losing the initial context. Examples here include, say, an
                online help system, or individual photos in a gallery, or a page that
                compares a series of products, or a link to a PDF coupon, or a link that
                takes you to another Web site in an entirely different domain.

                All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                Finally, you could also use some sort of hover-based pop-up for certain
                kinds of content, but that can lead to all sorts of browser, platform,
                and accessibility issues. For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                screen reading add-ons.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                  Scott wrote:
                  >All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                  >named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                  >spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                  >history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                  >but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                  Ah, but only if that's what you want. What if the user actually likes
                  to open new windows and what if he also likes to save windows with
                  pages he might want to peruse later, so he minimizes them or lets
                  them lose focus while he goes through the rest of the links (I do
                  this a lot myself). When he wants to read that interesting page, lo
                  and behold, it has been replaced with a totally different page. Boo-hoo.

                  That's what it boils down to. No one knows what anyone else wants or
                  prefers in a given situation. So keep the options open.

                  I'm not adamant about this. There are situations when I think a
                  little JS window fits in and doesn't harm anything, but for navigation - nuh.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                    Scott Fordin wrote:
                    > There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows

                    Yes absolutely. I know I tend to be of the black and white school with
                    no exceptions, but when used sensibly pop-ups and new windows do have
                    their place. Just remember how rare these instances are.

                    > For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                    > great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                    > screen reading add-ons.

                    And of course for those fed up with noisy disturbing backgrounds all
                    browsers offer a setting to turn them off. The result is that for me all
                    these hovers have a transparent background and become illegible. Alas
                    the number of sensible uses of the hover technique is minuscule compared
                    to all the inappropriate backgrounds so I live with it.

                    Axel
                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                      Hi Axel and Scott,

                      I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                      Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                      "Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                      product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                      a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                      sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                      pop-up"?

                      Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware on the NewEgg site
                      are illegible for you?

                      Separate but related question: Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                      spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                      Ray Shapp

                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                        Ray Shapp wrote:
                        > Is this an example of a "hover-based pop-up"?

                        Yes, exactly.
                        > Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware
                        > on the NewEgg site are illegible for you?

                        I am. Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                        this is what I see:

                        http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                        > Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                        > spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                        Yes. Mostly it seems to be because many authors just don't know how to
                        do it in pure CSS. On the other hand this example conforms to a
                        useability rule of adding a slight delay. See:
                        http://www.useit.com/alertbox/mega-dropdown-menus.html
                        under the heading "Speed".

                        So here script is good, but they ought to implement pure CSS first and
                        have the script, when running, turn that off first and replace it by the
                        better version. Never exclude visitors without script.

                        By the way my sample design employs the CSS solution in the left menu
                        and it shows the problems with that. Try moving down to a certain top
                        menu entry from the top, you'll fail. I ought to write a script with
                        delay for that, but then we all ought to do many things ...

                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                          Ray Shapp wrote:
                          > BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than I had imagined
                          > (assuming that is not a very old photo of you).

                          My daughter keeps chiding me about that. It's more than thirty years old
                          and I was younger then than she's now. It happens to be the only
                          photograph
                          of myself I ever liked.
                          A more current one is this Buddha
                          http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Axel.jpg

                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                            Ray Shapp wrote:
                            >I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                            >Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                            >"Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                            >product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                            >a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                            >sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                            >pop-up"?

                            Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup ( a new window). It's a
                            section of the same page that was previously hidden that is shown
                            when the link is hovered.

                            Lotta
                          • Ray Shapp
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                              Quoting Axel:
                              Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                              this is what I see:

                              http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                              That's odd! Here is what I see:

                              http://www.classiccars.ws/testing/ScreenShot004.jpg

                              Notice they use a link title as well as hover pop-up. That's probably
                              because some browsers are deliberately set to ignore JavaScript or are
                              unable to do so. I am using Firefox v3.6.16 under Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

                              Quoting Lotta:
                              Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup

                              That makes sense. Otherwise my pop-up blocker would prevent me from seeing
                              the enhanced menu.

                              Ray Shapp

                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                                Ray Shapp wrote:
                                > That's odd!

                                Not odd at all, self-inflicted. In Firefox the setting is found in
                                Tools-->Options-->Content-->Colors-->Allow pages...-->No

                                The reason is that now all text on all pages is optimally legible
                                whatever bad contrast and noisy background a misguided designer-artist
                                may have chosen. As Jacob Nielsen keeps saying, people do not browse to
                                pages to admire their beauty but to find things and get things done as
                                quickly and as efficiently as possible. The default background of all
                                elements except <BODY> is transparent and if I forbid changing that,
                                that's what I'll get and hovering in front of other content won't work
                                for text.

                                Your mileage may vary, but whenever I turn colours back on for a page
                                like that one I tend to leave it on for a while and I find that very
                                soon the terrible abominations of taste I'm confronted with make me turn
                                it off very soon again. But be that as it may, it is a fully legal
                                setting that ALL browsers offer right there as a menu switch, so just
                                like script on and off, a minimum font size, and varying window size
                                conscientious designers have to be prepared for it and ensure their
                                designs basic useability. An ugly kludge is fine, it is self inflicted
                                by the visitor after all, but useable it has to be.

                                One possibility would be hover an image, one white pixel with width and
                                height in em, and hover the text in front of that. Contrary to script
                                there is no way, not even employing script, to find out what the
                                vistor's settings are so it's not possible to employ the cludge only
                                when needed. With bad luck your image has exactly the visitor's font
                                colour and will make things even worse.