Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
      loro wrote:
      > So don't open new windows then. :-)

      Quite. The point Ray made was, that you never know beforehand, who's
      going to do the nasty on you. You you either open new windows right,
      left, and centre or you're sure to end up bitten - both equally not
      nice. So the browser makers thought of that too - they thought of a lot
      of things to block the nasties, be it tiny script or garish colour - and
      offer the extended back function.

      The point we're both agreed on, I think, is: don't second guess your
      visitors, don't attempt to think for them, but make it so, that they are
      given the maximum of power and freedom to do their own thing with their
      own tools.

      The WDR radio website seems to have one of those bigger/smaller buttons
      that use script to change the font size, but when you click it, a page
      opens explaining exactly how to do that in several of the common
      browsers. Personally I find that kind of thing a bit condescending and
      wouldn't do it myself, but if that's what it takes, then why not?

      Axel
    • Michael Rawley
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
        Axel Burger wrote
        > the big advantage was, that it made
        > writing the site quite easy. Without frames each complete page is one
        > HTML-file. You have to include the menu in each and every one of them
        > and what's worse, you have to aplly all changes to all the files. A
        > nightmare.
        > Axel

        Making the same changes to a folder full of files is easy! It is also rather
        scary, but the feeling of achievement in modifying 300 odd files in one go
        is worth it

        I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.

        Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

        Michael Rawley
        www.normist.co.uk
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
          Hi Axel, Lotta, Mike,

          This is just to let you know I haven't gone away. I've spent the whole day
          trying to learn the lessons contained in Axel's great tutorial at
          http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Webdesign/Testpage.htm# and to consider
          carefully what you folks have said in your messages.

          So far, I have successfully tested my first web page using SSI. I discovered
          it was failing because Apache requires a file extension like ".shtm". After
          fixing that, I was able to confirm that the hosting service for the club's
          website does act on SSI directives, but a site for classic car restorations
          (at a different hosting service) which I also maintain does not. It merely
          renders the SSI as text. That's OK for now because it's the club's site that
          I want to modify to eliminate the use of frames.

          I also placed a German dictionary in my bookmarks, and I had fun trying to
          understand some of the comments linked from
          http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than
          I had imagined (assuming that is not
          a very old photo of you).

          Most of what I have seen today is quite daunting because it's new to me. A
          basic question before I go much farther though: my main nav bar in the
          redesigned website will be along the top of the page. Can SSI and a
          modification of the script at
          http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
          when the user scrolls down the page?

          If this discussion does nothing else, it will definitely reduce the number
          of instances where I use target="_blank". On the other hand, I have special
          audiences for both the club website and the classic car website. In the
          first case, the majority of users do need extra hand-holding. Most don't
          know about the drop-down window on the Back button, and they don't want to
          learn about it. We have a wide range of ages in the club, but the modal
          member is probably 55 to 60 years of age. The important audience on the
          classic cars website is special because the content of the site is mostly
          about rare vehicles. For example, users who want to know about 1918 Cadillac
          laundry trucks will want to stay on our site because the internet doesn't
          offer many other places to see that kind of vehicle. The site is also
          special because car enthusiasts tend to be unfamiliar with web navigation.
          It was after speaking with a number of visitors that we realized many of
          them were not scrolling vertically. In response, we placed a large white
          downward-pointing arrow labeled "more below" on the Home page. All our
          thumbnails are accompanied by a hint indicating that a click on the picture
          will display a larger version. Otherwise many visitors will miss important
          content.

          I need to take my first break all day now to get something to eat, but I'll
          be back later. I really like working with this stuff. Thank you all!

          Ray Shapp

          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
            Ray wrote:
            >Can SSI and a modification of the script at
            >http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
            >when the user scrolls down the page?

            Includes don't do anything more than glue the content of files
            together before the page is served, like a server-side Find &
            Replace, you could say, only it isn't permanent, the physical files
            aren't changed.

            I think you are looking for 'position: fixed' (that isn't supported
            by older versions of IE, but there are workarounds).
            http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-position

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
              Michael Rawley wrote:
              > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
              > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

              You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
              forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
              there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
              deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
              into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
              clip.

              Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
              the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
              in a dummy folder first.

              Beware of long lines

              ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
              ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
              ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
              ; End of invidual adaptation

              ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
              ;^!SetDebug On
              ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
              Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
              file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
              %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
              ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
              ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
              :yessub
              ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
              ^!Goto loop
              :nosub
              ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
              :loop
              ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
              ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
              ^!Open "^%varFIL%"

              ; Adapt this part to the task in hand

              ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
              "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
              ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
              "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS

              ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
              "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS

              ; End of invidual adaptation

              ^!Close ALL,SAVE
              ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
              ^!Goto loop
              :finished
              ^!CloseFileFind

              > Michael Rawley
              > www.normist.co.uk

              Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                Hi Michael and Axel,

                I will definitely need to use the global replace command in NoteTab
                (Ctrl+D), however it will be done piecemeal on limited subsections of the
                site. Currently I have nearly 6,000 files in 238 folders on the astronomy
                club's website. More than 3,000 of the files are JPGs, PDFs, XLS files, and
                DOC files, but that still leaves about 2300 html pages. The index frame
                points to 21 subsections in addition to the Home page. Over the past 12
                years well over a dozen members created and edited various web pages or
                whole sections of the site, and they used a wide variety of formats.

                While eliminating the frames, I want to develop a single CSS style sheet
                that will apply to most HTML pages. I want also a fixed nav bar preferably
                at the top of every page. Most of the current web pages were designed for
                800x600 resolution displays. I want to change that to 1024x768. Of course,
                the site needs to remain usable during the transition, and I am working
                alone on this project. Our hosting plan allows 5GB of storage, and we are
                using only a little over 1GB now. I think it may be best to duplicate the
                entire site using an alternate web address as I convert sections to the new
                format. I'll give out the alternate address to only a few members who might
                have constructive comments about usability of the new design. Axel's clip
                (shown below) will be very useful for making conversions on well-defined
                subsections of the site.

                I don't have any time limit. The only time pressure I feel is
                self-generated.

                Ray Shapp

                On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                > Michael Rawley wrote:
                > > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
                > > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!
                >
                > You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
                > forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
                > there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
                > deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
                > into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
                > clip.
                >
                > Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
                > the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
                > in a dummy folder first.
                >
                > Beware of long lines
                >
                > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                > ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
                > ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
                > ; End of invidual adaptation
                >
                > ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
                > ;^!SetDebug On
                > ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
                > Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
                > file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
                > %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
                > ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
                > ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
                > :yessub
                > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                > ^!Goto loop
                > :nosub
                > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                > :loop
                > ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
                > ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
                > ^!Open "^%varFIL%"
                >
                > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                >
                > ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
                > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
                > ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
                > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS
                >
                > ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
                > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS
                >
                > ; End of invidual adaptation
                >
                > ^!Close ALL,SAVE
                > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
                > ^!Goto loop
                > :finished
                > ^!CloseFileFind
                >

                > > Michael Rawley
                > > www.normist.co.uk

                > --
                > Johann-H�ck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

              • Scott Fordin
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                  FWIW, I think that, in most cases, you don't want to open links in new
                  windows for many of the reasons already mentioned here. For example, I
                  know the style guidelines for all external Sun Microsystems (let's take
                  a moment here to shed a tear) Web sites specifically prohibited spawning
                  new windows except in relatively rare circumstances.

                  There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows
                  when you want to provide additional information about a topic or product
                  without losing the initial context. Examples here include, say, an
                  online help system, or individual photos in a gallery, or a page that
                  compares a series of products, or a link to a PDF coupon, or a link that
                  takes you to another Web site in an entirely different domain.

                  All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                  named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                  spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                  history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                  but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                  Finally, you could also use some sort of hover-based pop-up for certain
                  kinds of content, but that can lead to all sorts of browser, platform,
                  and accessibility issues. For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                  great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                  screen reading add-ons.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                    Scott wrote:
                    >All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                    >named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                    >spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                    >history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                    >but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                    Ah, but only if that's what you want. What if the user actually likes
                    to open new windows and what if he also likes to save windows with
                    pages he might want to peruse later, so he minimizes them or lets
                    them lose focus while he goes through the rest of the links (I do
                    this a lot myself). When he wants to read that interesting page, lo
                    and behold, it has been replaced with a totally different page. Boo-hoo.

                    That's what it boils down to. No one knows what anyone else wants or
                    prefers in a given situation. So keep the options open.

                    I'm not adamant about this. There are situations when I think a
                    little JS window fits in and doesn't harm anything, but for navigation - nuh.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                      Scott Fordin wrote:
                      > There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows

                      Yes absolutely. I know I tend to be of the black and white school with
                      no exceptions, but when used sensibly pop-ups and new windows do have
                      their place. Just remember how rare these instances are.

                      > For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                      > great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                      > screen reading add-ons.

                      And of course for those fed up with noisy disturbing backgrounds all
                      browsers offer a setting to turn them off. The result is that for me all
                      these hovers have a transparent background and become illegible. Alas
                      the number of sensible uses of the hover technique is minuscule compared
                      to all the inappropriate backgrounds so I live with it.

                      Axel
                    • Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                        Hi Axel and Scott,

                        I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                        Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                        "Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                        product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                        a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                        sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                        pop-up"?

                        Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware on the NewEgg site
                        are illegible for you?

                        Separate but related question: Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                        spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                        Ray Shapp

                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                          Ray Shapp wrote:
                          > Is this an example of a "hover-based pop-up"?

                          Yes, exactly.
                          > Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware
                          > on the NewEgg site are illegible for you?

                          I am. Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                          this is what I see:

                          http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                          > Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                          > spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                          Yes. Mostly it seems to be because many authors just don't know how to
                          do it in pure CSS. On the other hand this example conforms to a
                          useability rule of adding a slight delay. See:
                          http://www.useit.com/alertbox/mega-dropdown-menus.html
                          under the heading "Speed".

                          So here script is good, but they ought to implement pure CSS first and
                          have the script, when running, turn that off first and replace it by the
                          better version. Never exclude visitors without script.

                          By the way my sample design employs the CSS solution in the left menu
                          and it shows the problems with that. Try moving down to a certain top
                          menu entry from the top, you'll fail. I ought to write a script with
                          delay for that, but then we all ought to do many things ...

                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                            Ray Shapp wrote:
                            > BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than I had imagined
                            > (assuming that is not a very old photo of you).

                            My daughter keeps chiding me about that. It's more than thirty years old
                            and I was younger then than she's now. It happens to be the only
                            photograph
                            of myself I ever liked.
                            A more current one is this Buddha
                            http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Axel.jpg

                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                              Ray Shapp wrote:
                              >I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                              >Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                              >"Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                              >product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                              >a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                              >sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                              >pop-up"?

                              Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup ( a new window). It's a
                              section of the same page that was previously hidden that is shown
                              when the link is hovered.

                              Lotta
                            • Ray Shapp
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                                Quoting Axel:
                                Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                                this is what I see:

                                http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                                That's odd! Here is what I see:

                                http://www.classiccars.ws/testing/ScreenShot004.jpg

                                Notice they use a link title as well as hover pop-up. That's probably
                                because some browsers are deliberately set to ignore JavaScript or are
                                unable to do so. I am using Firefox v3.6.16 under Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

                                Quoting Lotta:
                                Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup

                                That makes sense. Otherwise my pop-up blocker would prevent me from seeing
                                the enhanced menu.

                                Ray Shapp

                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                                  Ray Shapp wrote:
                                  > That's odd!

                                  Not odd at all, self-inflicted. In Firefox the setting is found in
                                  Tools-->Options-->Content-->Colors-->Allow pages...-->No

                                  The reason is that now all text on all pages is optimally legible
                                  whatever bad contrast and noisy background a misguided designer-artist
                                  may have chosen. As Jacob Nielsen keeps saying, people do not browse to
                                  pages to admire their beauty but to find things and get things done as
                                  quickly and as efficiently as possible. The default background of all
                                  elements except <BODY> is transparent and if I forbid changing that,
                                  that's what I'll get and hovering in front of other content won't work
                                  for text.

                                  Your mileage may vary, but whenever I turn colours back on for a page
                                  like that one I tend to leave it on for a while and I find that very
                                  soon the terrible abominations of taste I'm confronted with make me turn
                                  it off very soon again. But be that as it may, it is a fully legal
                                  setting that ALL browsers offer right there as a menu switch, so just
                                  like script on and off, a minimum font size, and varying window size
                                  conscientious designers have to be prepared for it and ensure their
                                  designs basic useability. An ugly kludge is fine, it is self inflicted
                                  by the visitor after all, but useable it has to be.

                                  One possibility would be hover an image, one white pixel with width and
                                  height in em, and hover the text in front of that. Contrary to script
                                  there is no way, not even employing script, to find out what the
                                  vistor's settings are so it's not possible to employ the cludge only
                                  when needed. With bad luck your image has exactly the visitor's font
                                  colour and will make things even worse.