Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
      loro wrote:
      > I say you should learn how to open new windows yourself,

      Well no, Ray's got a point here. I don't want tabs and windows all over
      the place and I rely on my back button. So when a good page directs me
      to another and that breaks my browsing, it's annoying alright and out of
      the good guy's control.

      BUT, Ray, in all browsers I know the back button is not just a button.
      You can make it drop open and choose from a whole bunch of earlier
      pages, the right one, hopefully and usually among them. So if you do the
      right thing, people can always get back to your page, if only they know
      how to use their own tools. After all, if you run a boarding house and
      give people directions, you do usually assume they know how to drive. It
      is only on the net you're expected to hold their hands and do that for
      them as well. I refuse to.

      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
        Axel wrote:
        >loro wrote:
        > > I say you should learn how to open new windows yourself,
        >
        >Well no, Ray's got a point here. I don't want tabs and windows all over
        >the place and I rely on my back button.

        So don't open new windows then. :-)

        The whole sentence was: "I say you should learn how to open new
        windows yourself, _if_that's_what_you_want._"

        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
          loro wrote:
          > So don't open new windows then. :-)

          Quite. The point Ray made was, that you never know beforehand, who's
          going to do the nasty on you. You you either open new windows right,
          left, and centre or you're sure to end up bitten - both equally not
          nice. So the browser makers thought of that too - they thought of a lot
          of things to block the nasties, be it tiny script or garish colour - and
          offer the extended back function.

          The point we're both agreed on, I think, is: don't second guess your
          visitors, don't attempt to think for them, but make it so, that they are
          given the maximum of power and freedom to do their own thing with their
          own tools.

          The WDR radio website seems to have one of those bigger/smaller buttons
          that use script to change the font size, but when you click it, a page
          opens explaining exactly how to do that in several of the common
          browsers. Personally I find that kind of thing a bit condescending and
          wouldn't do it myself, but if that's what it takes, then why not?

          Axel
        • Michael Rawley
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
            Axel Burger wrote
            > the big advantage was, that it made
            > writing the site quite easy. Without frames each complete page is one
            > HTML-file. You have to include the menu in each and every one of them
            > and what's worse, you have to aplly all changes to all the files. A
            > nightmare.
            > Axel

            Making the same changes to a folder full of files is easy! It is also rather
            scary, but the feeling of achievement in modifying 300 odd files in one go
            is worth it

            I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.

            Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

            Michael Rawley
            www.normist.co.uk
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
              Hi Axel, Lotta, Mike,

              This is just to let you know I haven't gone away. I've spent the whole day
              trying to learn the lessons contained in Axel's great tutorial at
              http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Webdesign/Testpage.htm# and to consider
              carefully what you folks have said in your messages.

              So far, I have successfully tested my first web page using SSI. I discovered
              it was failing because Apache requires a file extension like ".shtm". After
              fixing that, I was able to confirm that the hosting service for the club's
              website does act on SSI directives, but a site for classic car restorations
              (at a different hosting service) which I also maintain does not. It merely
              renders the SSI as text. That's OK for now because it's the club's site that
              I want to modify to eliminate the use of frames.

              I also placed a German dictionary in my bookmarks, and I had fun trying to
              understand some of the comments linked from
              http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than
              I had imagined (assuming that is not
              a very old photo of you).

              Most of what I have seen today is quite daunting because it's new to me. A
              basic question before I go much farther though: my main nav bar in the
              redesigned website will be along the top of the page. Can SSI and a
              modification of the script at
              http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
              when the user scrolls down the page?

              If this discussion does nothing else, it will definitely reduce the number
              of instances where I use target="_blank". On the other hand, I have special
              audiences for both the club website and the classic car website. In the
              first case, the majority of users do need extra hand-holding. Most don't
              know about the drop-down window on the Back button, and they don't want to
              learn about it. We have a wide range of ages in the club, but the modal
              member is probably 55 to 60 years of age. The important audience on the
              classic cars website is special because the content of the site is mostly
              about rare vehicles. For example, users who want to know about 1918 Cadillac
              laundry trucks will want to stay on our site because the internet doesn't
              offer many other places to see that kind of vehicle. The site is also
              special because car enthusiasts tend to be unfamiliar with web navigation.
              It was after speaking with a number of visitors that we realized many of
              them were not scrolling vertically. In response, we placed a large white
              downward-pointing arrow labeled "more below" on the Home page. All our
              thumbnails are accompanied by a hint indicating that a click on the picture
              will display a larger version. Otherwise many visitors will miss important
              content.

              I need to take my first break all day now to get something to eat, but I'll
              be back later. I really like working with this stuff. Thank you all!

              Ray Shapp

              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                Ray wrote:
                >Can SSI and a modification of the script at
                >http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
                >when the user scrolls down the page?

                Includes don't do anything more than glue the content of files
                together before the page is served, like a server-side Find &
                Replace, you could say, only it isn't permanent, the physical files
                aren't changed.

                I think you are looking for 'position: fixed' (that isn't supported
                by older versions of IE, but there are workarounds).
                http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-position

                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                  Michael Rawley wrote:
                  > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
                  > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

                  You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
                  forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
                  there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
                  deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
                  into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
                  clip.

                  Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
                  the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
                  in a dummy folder first.

                  Beware of long lines

                  ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                  ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
                  ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
                  ; End of invidual adaptation

                  ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
                  ;^!SetDebug On
                  ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
                  Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
                  file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
                  %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
                  ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
                  ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
                  :yessub
                  ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                  ^!Goto loop
                  :nosub
                  ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                  :loop
                  ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
                  ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
                  ^!Open "^%varFIL%"

                  ; Adapt this part to the task in hand

                  ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
                  "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
                  ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
                  "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS

                  ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
                  "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS

                  ; End of invidual adaptation

                  ^!Close ALL,SAVE
                  ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
                  ^!Goto loop
                  :finished
                  ^!CloseFileFind

                  > Michael Rawley
                  > www.normist.co.uk

                  Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                • Ray Shapp
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                    Hi Michael and Axel,

                    I will definitely need to use the global replace command in NoteTab
                    (Ctrl+D), however it will be done piecemeal on limited subsections of the
                    site. Currently I have nearly 6,000 files in 238 folders on the astronomy
                    club's website. More than 3,000 of the files are JPGs, PDFs, XLS files, and
                    DOC files, but that still leaves about 2300 html pages. The index frame
                    points to 21 subsections in addition to the Home page. Over the past 12
                    years well over a dozen members created and edited various web pages or
                    whole sections of the site, and they used a wide variety of formats.

                    While eliminating the frames, I want to develop a single CSS style sheet
                    that will apply to most HTML pages. I want also a fixed nav bar preferably
                    at the top of every page. Most of the current web pages were designed for
                    800x600 resolution displays. I want to change that to 1024x768. Of course,
                    the site needs to remain usable during the transition, and I am working
                    alone on this project. Our hosting plan allows 5GB of storage, and we are
                    using only a little over 1GB now. I think it may be best to duplicate the
                    entire site using an alternate web address as I convert sections to the new
                    format. I'll give out the alternate address to only a few members who might
                    have constructive comments about usability of the new design. Axel's clip
                    (shown below) will be very useful for making conversions on well-defined
                    subsections of the site.

                    I don't have any time limit. The only time pressure I feel is
                    self-generated.

                    Ray Shapp

                    On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                    > Michael Rawley wrote:
                    > > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
                    > > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!
                    >
                    > You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
                    > forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
                    > there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
                    > deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
                    > into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
                    > clip.
                    >
                    > Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
                    > the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
                    > in a dummy folder first.
                    >
                    > Beware of long lines
                    >
                    > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                    > ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
                    > ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
                    > ; End of invidual adaptation
                    >
                    > ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
                    > ;^!SetDebug On
                    > ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
                    > Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
                    > file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
                    > %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
                    > ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
                    > ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
                    > :yessub
                    > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                    > ^!Goto loop
                    > :nosub
                    > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                    > :loop
                    > ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
                    > ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
                    > ^!Open "^%varFIL%"
                    >
                    > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                    >
                    > ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
                    > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
                    > ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
                    > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS
                    >
                    > ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
                    > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS
                    >
                    > ; End of invidual adaptation
                    >
                    > ^!Close ALL,SAVE
                    > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
                    > ^!Goto loop
                    > :finished
                    > ^!CloseFileFind
                    >

                    > > Michael Rawley
                    > > www.normist.co.uk

                    > --
                    > Johann-H�ck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

                  • Scott Fordin
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                      FWIW, I think that, in most cases, you don't want to open links in new
                      windows for many of the reasons already mentioned here. For example, I
                      know the style guidelines for all external Sun Microsystems (let's take
                      a moment here to shed a tear) Web sites specifically prohibited spawning
                      new windows except in relatively rare circumstances.

                      There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows
                      when you want to provide additional information about a topic or product
                      without losing the initial context. Examples here include, say, an
                      online help system, or individual photos in a gallery, or a page that
                      compares a series of products, or a link to a PDF coupon, or a link that
                      takes you to another Web site in an entirely different domain.

                      All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                      named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                      spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                      history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                      but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                      Finally, you could also use some sort of hover-based pop-up for certain
                      kinds of content, but that can lead to all sorts of browser, platform,
                      and accessibility issues. For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                      great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                      screen reading add-ons.

                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                        Scott wrote:
                        >All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                        >named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                        >spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                        >history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                        >but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                        Ah, but only if that's what you want. What if the user actually likes
                        to open new windows and what if he also likes to save windows with
                        pages he might want to peruse later, so he minimizes them or lets
                        them lose focus while he goes through the rest of the links (I do
                        this a lot myself). When he wants to read that interesting page, lo
                        and behold, it has been replaced with a totally different page. Boo-hoo.

                        That's what it boils down to. No one knows what anyone else wants or
                        prefers in a given situation. So keep the options open.

                        I'm not adamant about this. There are situations when I think a
                        little JS window fits in and doesn't harm anything, but for navigation - nuh.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                          Scott Fordin wrote:
                          > There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows

                          Yes absolutely. I know I tend to be of the black and white school with
                          no exceptions, but when used sensibly pop-ups and new windows do have
                          their place. Just remember how rare these instances are.

                          > For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                          > great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                          > screen reading add-ons.

                          And of course for those fed up with noisy disturbing backgrounds all
                          browsers offer a setting to turn them off. The result is that for me all
                          these hovers have a transparent background and become illegible. Alas
                          the number of sensible uses of the hover technique is minuscule compared
                          to all the inappropriate backgrounds so I live with it.

                          Axel
                        • Ray Shapp
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                            Hi Axel and Scott,

                            I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                            Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                            "Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                            product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                            a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                            sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                            pop-up"?

                            Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware on the NewEgg site
                            are illegible for you?

                            Separate but related question: Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                            spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                            Ray Shapp

                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                              Ray Shapp wrote:
                              > Is this an example of a "hover-based pop-up"?

                              Yes, exactly.
                              > Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware
                              > on the NewEgg site are illegible for you?

                              I am. Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                              this is what I see:

                              http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                              > Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                              > spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                              Yes. Mostly it seems to be because many authors just don't know how to
                              do it in pure CSS. On the other hand this example conforms to a
                              useability rule of adding a slight delay. See:
                              http://www.useit.com/alertbox/mega-dropdown-menus.html
                              under the heading "Speed".

                              So here script is good, but they ought to implement pure CSS first and
                              have the script, when running, turn that off first and replace it by the
                              better version. Never exclude visitors without script.

                              By the way my sample design employs the CSS solution in the left menu
                              and it shows the problems with that. Try moving down to a certain top
                              menu entry from the top, you'll fail. I ought to write a script with
                              delay for that, but then we all ought to do many things ...

                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                Ray Shapp wrote:
                                > BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than I had imagined
                                > (assuming that is not a very old photo of you).

                                My daughter keeps chiding me about that. It's more than thirty years old
                                and I was younger then than she's now. It happens to be the only
                                photograph
                                of myself I ever liked.
                                A more current one is this Buddha
                                http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Axel.jpg

                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                  Ray Shapp wrote:
                                  >I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                                  >Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                                  >"Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                                  >product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                                  >a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                                  >sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                                  >pop-up"?

                                  Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup ( a new window). It's a
                                  section of the same page that was previously hidden that is shown
                                  when the link is hovered.

                                  Lotta
                                • Ray Shapp
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                                    Quoting Axel:
                                    Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                                    this is what I see:

                                    http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                                    That's odd! Here is what I see:

                                    http://www.classiccars.ws/testing/ScreenShot004.jpg

                                    Notice they use a link title as well as hover pop-up. That's probably
                                    because some browsers are deliberately set to ignore JavaScript or are
                                    unable to do so. I am using Firefox v3.6.16 under Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

                                    Quoting Lotta:
                                    Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup

                                    That makes sense. Otherwise my pop-up blocker would prevent me from seeing
                                    the enhanced menu.

                                    Ray Shapp

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                                      Ray Shapp wrote:
                                      > That's odd!

                                      Not odd at all, self-inflicted. In Firefox the setting is found in
                                      Tools-->Options-->Content-->Colors-->Allow pages...-->No

                                      The reason is that now all text on all pages is optimally legible
                                      whatever bad contrast and noisy background a misguided designer-artist
                                      may have chosen. As Jacob Nielsen keeps saying, people do not browse to
                                      pages to admire their beauty but to find things and get things done as
                                      quickly and as efficiently as possible. The default background of all
                                      elements except <BODY> is transparent and if I forbid changing that,
                                      that's what I'll get and hovering in front of other content won't work
                                      for text.

                                      Your mileage may vary, but whenever I turn colours back on for a page
                                      like that one I tend to leave it on for a while and I find that very
                                      soon the terrible abominations of taste I'm confronted with make me turn
                                      it off very soon again. But be that as it may, it is a fully legal
                                      setting that ALL browsers offer right there as a menu switch, so just
                                      like script on and off, a minimum font size, and varying window size
                                      conscientious designers have to be prepared for it and ensure their
                                      designs basic useability. An ugly kludge is fine, it is self inflicted
                                      by the visitor after all, but useable it has to be.

                                      One possibility would be hover an image, one white pixel with width and
                                      height in em, and hover the text in front of that. Contrary to script
                                      there is no way, not even employing script, to find out what the
                                      vistor's settings are so it's not possible to employ the cludge only
                                      when needed. With bad luck your image has exactly the visitor's font
                                      colour and will make things even worse.