Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > I always use target="_blank" for that very reason.

      And that way you put visitors in the habit of closing the window or tab
      instead of going back so that on a well-made site they end up with a
      blank screen without any browser window at all. I'll try not to blow my
      top here, I do that often enough while browsing other people's sites.

      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
        At 11:00 2011-03-26, Axel Berger wrote:
        >1) It doesn't validate (though Lotta says that will change in HTML 5).

        It validates now under (X)HTML Transitional.

        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
          Ray wrote:
          >Thank you for your insights. What do you say to the problem that annoys me
          >about sites that don't provide easy links to backtrack?

          I say you should learn how to open new windows yourself, if that's
          what you want. And as I hinted at earlier, you would probably have
          done se long ago if it hadn't become almost a rule for sites to force
          new windows for external links. What is the saying? Something like
          "With freedom comes responsibility". If you want freedom of choice
          you have to be prepared to make the choices. Maybe you have to be
          prepared to make them so other people can have freedom of choice even
          in the cases you don't personally see the need for it.

          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
            At 15:55 2011-03-26, Ray Shapp wrote:
            >About half of the members of the club for which I maintain a website have
            >very limited computer skills. The kind of backtracking I described above
            >would be very discouraging to them.

            That's a little like saying that if half the population in a country
            are analphabets and find books discouraging, there should be no
            books. Or if only half can drive a car, no one should drive. Isn't
            that taking democracy too far?

            I don't think that protecting those members from learning is doing
            them a favour in the long run. It isn't brain surgery, doesn't take
            any special computer skills. A monkey can learn to press down a key
            to get something it wants. It's more a matter of habits that are a
            little hard do break, I think. When this new window business started
            people went berserk because it wasn't the expected behaviour (and it
            was rude too!). Now some people are so used to it they think things
            aren't working if it isn't there. No big deal.

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
              loro wrote:
              > It validates now under (X)HTML Transitional.

              And of course you're absolutely right again. I took one of the pages I
              quoted at face value and never checked.

              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                loro wrote:
                > I say you should learn how to open new windows yourself,

                Well no, Ray's got a point here. I don't want tabs and windows all over
                the place and I rely on my back button. So when a good page directs me
                to another and that breaks my browsing, it's annoying alright and out of
                the good guy's control.

                BUT, Ray, in all browsers I know the back button is not just a button.
                You can make it drop open and choose from a whole bunch of earlier
                pages, the right one, hopefully and usually among them. So if you do the
                right thing, people can always get back to your page, if only they know
                how to use their own tools. After all, if you run a boarding house and
                give people directions, you do usually assume they know how to drive. It
                is only on the net you're expected to hold their hands and do that for
                them as well. I refuse to.

                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                  Axel wrote:
                  >loro wrote:
                  > > I say you should learn how to open new windows yourself,
                  >
                  >Well no, Ray's got a point here. I don't want tabs and windows all over
                  >the place and I rely on my back button.

                  So don't open new windows then. :-)

                  The whole sentence was: "I say you should learn how to open new
                  windows yourself, _if_that's_what_you_want._"

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                    loro wrote:
                    > So don't open new windows then. :-)

                    Quite. The point Ray made was, that you never know beforehand, who's
                    going to do the nasty on you. You you either open new windows right,
                    left, and centre or you're sure to end up bitten - both equally not
                    nice. So the browser makers thought of that too - they thought of a lot
                    of things to block the nasties, be it tiny script or garish colour - and
                    offer the extended back function.

                    The point we're both agreed on, I think, is: don't second guess your
                    visitors, don't attempt to think for them, but make it so, that they are
                    given the maximum of power and freedom to do their own thing with their
                    own tools.

                    The WDR radio website seems to have one of those bigger/smaller buttons
                    that use script to change the font size, but when you click it, a page
                    opens explaining exactly how to do that in several of the common
                    browsers. Personally I find that kind of thing a bit condescending and
                    wouldn't do it myself, but if that's what it takes, then why not?

                    Axel
                  • Michael Rawley
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                      Axel Burger wrote
                      > the big advantage was, that it made
                      > writing the site quite easy. Without frames each complete page is one
                      > HTML-file. You have to include the menu in each and every one of them
                      > and what's worse, you have to aplly all changes to all the files. A
                      > nightmare.
                      > Axel

                      Making the same changes to a folder full of files is easy! It is also rather
                      scary, but the feeling of achievement in modifying 300 odd files in one go
                      is worth it

                      I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.

                      Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

                      Michael Rawley
                      www.normist.co.uk
                    • Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                        Hi Axel, Lotta, Mike,

                        This is just to let you know I haven't gone away. I've spent the whole day
                        trying to learn the lessons contained in Axel's great tutorial at
                        http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Webdesign/Testpage.htm# and to consider
                        carefully what you folks have said in your messages.

                        So far, I have successfully tested my first web page using SSI. I discovered
                        it was failing because Apache requires a file extension like ".shtm". After
                        fixing that, I was able to confirm that the hosting service for the club's
                        website does act on SSI directives, but a site for classic car restorations
                        (at a different hosting service) which I also maintain does not. It merely
                        renders the SSI as text. That's OK for now because it's the club's site that
                        I want to modify to eliminate the use of frames.

                        I also placed a German dictionary in my bookmarks, and I had fun trying to
                        understand some of the comments linked from
                        http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than
                        I had imagined (assuming that is not
                        a very old photo of you).

                        Most of what I have seen today is quite daunting because it's new to me. A
                        basic question before I go much farther though: my main nav bar in the
                        redesigned website will be along the top of the page. Can SSI and a
                        modification of the script at
                        http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
                        when the user scrolls down the page?

                        If this discussion does nothing else, it will definitely reduce the number
                        of instances where I use target="_blank". On the other hand, I have special
                        audiences for both the club website and the classic car website. In the
                        first case, the majority of users do need extra hand-holding. Most don't
                        know about the drop-down window on the Back button, and they don't want to
                        learn about it. We have a wide range of ages in the club, but the modal
                        member is probably 55 to 60 years of age. The important audience on the
                        classic cars website is special because the content of the site is mostly
                        about rare vehicles. For example, users who want to know about 1918 Cadillac
                        laundry trucks will want to stay on our site because the internet doesn't
                        offer many other places to see that kind of vehicle. The site is also
                        special because car enthusiasts tend to be unfamiliar with web navigation.
                        It was after speaking with a number of visitors that we realized many of
                        them were not scrolling vertically. In response, we placed a large white
                        downward-pointing arrow labeled "more below" on the Home page. All our
                        thumbnails are accompanied by a hint indicating that a click on the picture
                        will display a larger version. Otherwise many visitors will miss important
                        content.

                        I need to take my first break all day now to get something to eat, but I'll
                        be back later. I really like working with this stuff. Thank you all!

                        Ray Shapp

                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                          Ray wrote:
                          >Can SSI and a modification of the script at
                          >http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
                          >when the user scrolls down the page?

                          Includes don't do anything more than glue the content of files
                          together before the page is served, like a server-side Find &
                          Replace, you could say, only it isn't permanent, the physical files
                          aren't changed.

                          I think you are looking for 'position: fixed' (that isn't supported
                          by older versions of IE, but there are workarounds).
                          http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-position

                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                            Michael Rawley wrote:
                            > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
                            > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

                            You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
                            forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
                            there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
                            deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
                            into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
                            clip.

                            Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
                            the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
                            in a dummy folder first.

                            Beware of long lines

                            ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                            ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
                            ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
                            ; End of invidual adaptation

                            ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
                            ;^!SetDebug On
                            ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
                            Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
                            file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
                            %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
                            ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
                            ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
                            :yessub
                            ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                            ^!Goto loop
                            :nosub
                            ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                            :loop
                            ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
                            ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
                            ^!Open "^%varFIL%"

                            ; Adapt this part to the task in hand

                            ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
                            "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
                            ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
                            "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS

                            ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
                            "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS

                            ; End of invidual adaptation

                            ^!Close ALL,SAVE
                            ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
                            ^!Goto loop
                            :finished
                            ^!CloseFileFind

                            > Michael Rawley
                            > www.normist.co.uk

                            Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                          • Ray Shapp
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                              Hi Michael and Axel,

                              I will definitely need to use the global replace command in NoteTab
                              (Ctrl+D), however it will be done piecemeal on limited subsections of the
                              site. Currently I have nearly 6,000 files in 238 folders on the astronomy
                              club's website. More than 3,000 of the files are JPGs, PDFs, XLS files, and
                              DOC files, but that still leaves about 2300 html pages. The index frame
                              points to 21 subsections in addition to the Home page. Over the past 12
                              years well over a dozen members created and edited various web pages or
                              whole sections of the site, and they used a wide variety of formats.

                              While eliminating the frames, I want to develop a single CSS style sheet
                              that will apply to most HTML pages. I want also a fixed nav bar preferably
                              at the top of every page. Most of the current web pages were designed for
                              800x600 resolution displays. I want to change that to 1024x768. Of course,
                              the site needs to remain usable during the transition, and I am working
                              alone on this project. Our hosting plan allows 5GB of storage, and we are
                              using only a little over 1GB now. I think it may be best to duplicate the
                              entire site using an alternate web address as I convert sections to the new
                              format. I'll give out the alternate address to only a few members who might
                              have constructive comments about usability of the new design. Axel's clip
                              (shown below) will be very useful for making conversions on well-defined
                              subsections of the site.

                              I don't have any time limit. The only time pressure I feel is
                              self-generated.

                              Ray Shapp

                              On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                              > Michael Rawley wrote:
                              > > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
                              > > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!
                              >
                              > You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
                              > forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
                              > there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
                              > deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
                              > into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
                              > clip.
                              >
                              > Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
                              > the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
                              > in a dummy folder first.
                              >
                              > Beware of long lines
                              >
                              > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                              > ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
                              > ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
                              > ; End of invidual adaptation
                              >
                              > ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
                              > ;^!SetDebug On
                              > ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
                              > Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
                              > file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
                              > %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
                              > ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
                              > ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
                              > :yessub
                              > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                              > ^!Goto loop
                              > :nosub
                              > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                              > :loop
                              > ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
                              > ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
                              > ^!Open "^%varFIL%"
                              >
                              > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                              >
                              > ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
                              > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
                              > ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
                              > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS
                              >
                              > ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
                              > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS
                              >
                              > ; End of invidual adaptation
                              >
                              > ^!Close ALL,SAVE
                              > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
                              > ^!Goto loop
                              > :finished
                              > ^!CloseFileFind
                              >

                              > > Michael Rawley
                              > > www.normist.co.uk

                              > --
                              > Johann-H�ck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

                            • Scott Fordin
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                FWIW, I think that, in most cases, you don't want to open links in new
                                windows for many of the reasons already mentioned here. For example, I
                                know the style guidelines for all external Sun Microsystems (let's take
                                a moment here to shed a tear) Web sites specifically prohibited spawning
                                new windows except in relatively rare circumstances.

                                There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows
                                when you want to provide additional information about a topic or product
                                without losing the initial context. Examples here include, say, an
                                online help system, or individual photos in a gallery, or a page that
                                compares a series of products, or a link to a PDF coupon, or a link that
                                takes you to another Web site in an entirely different domain.

                                All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                                named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                                spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                                history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                                but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                                Finally, you could also use some sort of hover-based pop-up for certain
                                kinds of content, but that can lead to all sorts of browser, platform,
                                and accessibility issues. For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                                great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                                screen reading add-ons.

                                Scott

                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                  Scott wrote:
                                  >All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                                  >named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                                  >spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                                  >history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                                  >but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                                  Ah, but only if that's what you want. What if the user actually likes
                                  to open new windows and what if he also likes to save windows with
                                  pages he might want to peruse later, so he minimizes them or lets
                                  them lose focus while he goes through the rest of the links (I do
                                  this a lot myself). When he wants to read that interesting page, lo
                                  and behold, it has been replaced with a totally different page. Boo-hoo.

                                  That's what it boils down to. No one knows what anyone else wants or
                                  prefers in a given situation. So keep the options open.

                                  I'm not adamant about this. There are situations when I think a
                                  little JS window fits in and doesn't harm anything, but for navigation - nuh.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                    Scott Fordin wrote:
                                    > There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows

                                    Yes absolutely. I know I tend to be of the black and white school with
                                    no exceptions, but when used sensibly pop-ups and new windows do have
                                    their place. Just remember how rare these instances are.

                                    > For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                                    > great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                                    > screen reading add-ons.

                                    And of course for those fed up with noisy disturbing backgrounds all
                                    browsers offer a setting to turn them off. The result is that for me all
                                    these hovers have a transparent background and become illegible. Alas
                                    the number of sensible uses of the hover technique is minuscule compared
                                    to all the inappropriate backgrounds so I live with it.

                                    Axel
                                  • Ray Shapp
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                      Hi Axel and Scott,

                                      I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                                      Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                                      "Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                                      product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                                      a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                                      sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                                      pop-up"?

                                      Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware on the NewEgg site
                                      are illegible for you?

                                      Separate but related question: Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                                      spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                                      Ray Shapp

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                        Ray Shapp wrote:
                                        > Is this an example of a "hover-based pop-up"?

                                        Yes, exactly.
                                        > Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware
                                        > on the NewEgg site are illegible for you?

                                        I am. Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                                        this is what I see:

                                        http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                                        > Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                                        > spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                                        Yes. Mostly it seems to be because many authors just don't know how to
                                        do it in pure CSS. On the other hand this example conforms to a
                                        useability rule of adding a slight delay. See:
                                        http://www.useit.com/alertbox/mega-dropdown-menus.html
                                        under the heading "Speed".

                                        So here script is good, but they ought to implement pure CSS first and
                                        have the script, when running, turn that off first and replace it by the
                                        better version. Never exclude visitors without script.

                                        By the way my sample design employs the CSS solution in the left menu
                                        and it shows the problems with that. Try moving down to a certain top
                                        menu entry from the top, you'll fail. I ought to write a script with
                                        delay for that, but then we all ought to do many things ...

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                          Ray Shapp wrote:
                                          > BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than I had imagined
                                          > (assuming that is not a very old photo of you).

                                          My daughter keeps chiding me about that. It's more than thirty years old
                                          and I was younger then than she's now. It happens to be the only
                                          photograph
                                          of myself I ever liked.
                                          A more current one is this Buddha
                                          http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Axel.jpg

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                            Ray Shapp wrote:
                                            >I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                                            >Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                                            >"Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                                            >product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                                            >a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                                            >sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                                            >pop-up"?

                                            Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup ( a new window). It's a
                                            section of the same page that was previously hidden that is shown
                                            when the link is hovered.

                                            Lotta
                                          • Ray Shapp
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                                              Quoting Axel:
                                              Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                                              this is what I see:

                                              http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                                              That's odd! Here is what I see:

                                              http://www.classiccars.ws/testing/ScreenShot004.jpg

                                              Notice they use a link title as well as hover pop-up. That's probably
                                              because some browsers are deliberately set to ignore JavaScript or are
                                              unable to do so. I am using Firefox v3.6.16 under Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

                                              Quoting Lotta:
                                              Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup

                                              That makes sense. Otherwise my pop-up blocker would prevent me from seeing
                                              the enhanced menu.

                                              Ray Shapp

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                                                Ray Shapp wrote:
                                                > That's odd!

                                                Not odd at all, self-inflicted. In Firefox the setting is found in
                                                Tools-->Options-->Content-->Colors-->Allow pages...-->No

                                                The reason is that now all text on all pages is optimally legible
                                                whatever bad contrast and noisy background a misguided designer-artist
                                                may have chosen. As Jacob Nielsen keeps saying, people do not browse to
                                                pages to admire their beauty but to find things and get things done as
                                                quickly and as efficiently as possible. The default background of all
                                                elements except <BODY> is transparent and if I forbid changing that,
                                                that's what I'll get and hovering in front of other content won't work
                                                for text.

                                                Your mileage may vary, but whenever I turn colours back on for a page
                                                like that one I tend to leave it on for a while and I find that very
                                                soon the terrible abominations of taste I'm confronted with make me turn
                                                it off very soon again. But be that as it may, it is a fully legal
                                                setting that ALL browsers offer right there as a menu switch, so just
                                                like script on and off, a minimum font size, and varying window size
                                                conscientious designers have to be prepared for it and ensure their
                                                designs basic useability. An ugly kludge is fine, it is self inflicted
                                                by the visitor after all, but useable it has to be.

                                                One possibility would be hover an image, one white pixel with width and
                                                height in em, and hover the text in front of that. Contrary to script
                                                there is no way, not even employing script, to find out what the
                                                vistor's settings are so it's not possible to employ the cludge only
                                                when needed. With bad luck your image has exactly the visitor's font
                                                colour and will make things even worse.