Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > I recall some folks advocated strongly,

      That must have been me among others, doesn't take much to set me off in
      a rant on that subject.

      Three reasons
      1) It doesn't validate (though Lotta says that will change in HTML 5).
      2) It is my computer and my browser and I decide when and when not to
      open tabs and windows. See:
      http://www.minervation.com/index.aspx?o=1149&newsitem=1812
      http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html
      3) Perhaps most important and worst: It breaks the back-button.

      This also goes for non-browser files. I forbid my Acrobat to sit inside
      a browser window, so whenever someone makes a PDF link with
      target="_blank" I will get an EMPTY tab. It is better to add the
      following to your .htaccess:
      <FilesMatch "\.(pdf|mp3)$">
      Header add Content-Disposition "Attachment"
      </FilesMatch>

      One last related point. It is good to add
      <BASE TARGET="_top">
      to your <HEAD>. This prevents others from opening your page in a frame
      of their frameset thus hiding the source and claiming your work as their
      own.

      And one very last:
      > Currently, the site uses frames, therefore, the main
      > navigation links can always be visible.

      If you have not done so already take a look at server side includes. You
      might also adopt a little script of mine. It checks whether the window
      is wide enough to prevent horizontal scrolling and high enough to take
      all the menu and if both conditions are satisfied it makes the menu
      fixed. Thus it will always be there and people who have scrolled down
      several pages need not go back up again to find it. (Your current frames
      do that already.)
      http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js
      (Forget the "unten" bit. You'll also see a bit of bad style in there. In
      the spirit of semantic markup I ought to have used <DIV ID="menu"> and
      not <DIV ID="left">.)

      Axel
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
        Hi Axel,

        Thank you for your reply. I've read it all several times and will have
        questions about other parts later, but my experience in following your
        recommended reference at
        http://www.minervation.com/index.aspx?o=1149&newsitem=1812 illustrates the
        problem I want to avoid on my site. After reading the article, I clicked on
        the Google map link on their About Us page. After viewing the map, I clicked
        on a link to Google news. I read a few news articles and followed a link
        from one of the news sites and followed another link from that resulting
        site. Then I wanted to return to your reference. After mashing the Backspace
        key half a dozen times, I abandoned the backtracking and returned to your
        message in my mail client instead. My return to your reference would have
        been so much more convenient if their Google map link had spawned a new tab
        in my browser.

        About half of the members of the club for which I maintain a website have
        very limited computer skills. The kind of backtracking I described above
        would be very discouraging to them. Yes, it is true that my use of the
        target attribute "breaks" the back button, but I think I provide a more
        beneficial experience when the user finds that the original page is still
        there after he/she is done with all the linking around the web.

        I'm not sure how to implement your function gross() script, but, if it will
        keep my nav bar in view as the user opens various pages on our site, then I
        will not need to use the target attribute. You mentioned the script in your
        paragraph that begins with a comment about server side includes. Does that
        mean your script should go into the cgi-bin folder on the hosting site or is
        it enough to post your script in a comment near the top of my HTML pages?
        IOW, how do I invoke the script on my web pages? For example, I tried to
        test SSI with a simple web page at:

        http://www.asterism.org/shapp/SSI.htm

        I expected it to output a list of variables, but it merely displays "Hello".

        Ray Shapp

        On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

        > Ray Shapp wrote:
        > > I recall some folks advocated strongly,
        >
        > That must have been me among others, doesn't take much to set me off in
        > a rant on that subject.
        >
        > Three reasons
        > 1) It doesn't validate (though Lotta says that will change in HTML 5).
        > 2) It is my computer and my browser and I decide when and when not to
        > open tabs and windows. See:
        > http://www.minervation.com/index.aspx?o=1149&newsitem=1812
        > http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html
        > 3) Perhaps most important and worst: It breaks the back-button.
        >
        > This also goes for non-browser files. I forbid my Acrobat to sit inside
        > a browser window, so whenever someone makes a PDF link with
        > target="_blank" I will get an EMPTY tab. It is better to add the
        > following to your .htaccess:
        > <FilesMatch "\.(pdf|mp3)$">
        > Header add Content-Disposition "Attachment"
        > </FilesMatch>
        >
        > One last related point. It is good to add
        > <BASE TARGET="_top">
        > to your <HEAD>. This prevents others from opening your page in a frame
        > of their frameset thus hiding the source and claiming your work as their
        > own.
        >
        > And one very last:
        >
        > > Currently, the site uses frames, therefore, the main
        > > navigation links can always be visible.
        >
        > If you have not done so already take a look at server side includes. You
        > might also adopt a little script of mine. It checks whether the window
        > is wide enough to prevent horizontal scrolling and high enough to take
        > all the menu and if both conditions are satisfied it makes the menu
        > fixed. Thus it will always be there and people who have scrolled down
        > several pages need not go back up again to find it. (Your current frames
        > do that already.)
        > http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js
        > (Forget the "unten" bit. You'll also see a bit of bad style in there. In
        > the spirit of semantic markup I ought to have used <DIV ID="menu"> and
        > not <DIV ID="left">.)
        >
        > Axel

      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
          On 3/26/2011 10:55 AM, Ray Shapp wrote:
          > About half of the members of the club for which I maintain a website have
          > very limited computer skills. The kind of backtracking I described above
          > would be very discouraging to them.

          It is not just "the club".
          I find it to be the case with most web users.
          I always use target="_blank" for that very reason.

          -Mike
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            > if it will keep my nav bar in view as the user opens various
            > pages on our site,

            Several questions here, I'll try to keep some logic in the answer. With
            frames you have different parts of the window in different files and
            moing around on your own site normally involves just changing one frame.
            I won't repeat the disadvantges, the big advantage was, that it made
            writing the site quite easy. Without frames each complete page is one
            HTML-file. You have to include the menu in each and every one of them
            and what's worse, you have to aplly all changes to all the files. A
            nightmare. So what you do instead looks like this:

            <DIV ID="left">
            <!--#include virtual="/base/navigation.htm" -->
            </DIV> <!-- end #left -->

            The #include virtual is a command for the server software to drop the
            contents of navigation.htm here and serve that as HTML to the visitor.
            You need a hoster that offers SSI. Not all do and those often only with
            "premium" accounts. Another problem is, you can't just view those pages
            locally before uploading. You need to run Apache on your own computer
            for that and then call http://localhost/. So it definitely is more
            hassle than simple frames, or at least it is the first time.

            Leave the script for later, it is just a bit of icing on the cake. In my
            CSS I have

            #left {
            float: left;
            position: relative; /* relative Needed for IE/win */
            z-index: 6;
            }

            Now the obvious thing, seen on other pages, would be simply to make that
            position: fixed;. The page would be rendered normally and then the menu
            would stay put in its corner of the window however you scroll. In a
            narroew window you can't scroll it out left, it wiss stay in the way and
            in a shallow one the bottom entries might end up outside the window and
            inaccessible.

            The script needs to go into the <HEAD> (after modifying for your needs)
            as

            <SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript" SRC="/base/fix-menue.js"></SCRIPT>

            It does its checking of window size and if appropriate exchanges that
            position: relative; with position: fixed; and back again when the window
            is made smaller.

            I forgot to mention that I wrote some of this up with a complete example
            here:
            http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Sudel/Webdesign.htm

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
              Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              > I always use target="_blank" for that very reason.

              And that way you put visitors in the habit of closing the window or tab
              instead of going back so that on a well-made site they end up with a
              blank screen without any browser window at all. I'll try not to blow my
              top here, I do that often enough while browsing other people's sites.

              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                At 11:00 2011-03-26, Axel Berger wrote:
                >1) It doesn't validate (though Lotta says that will change in HTML 5).

                It validates now under (X)HTML Transitional.

                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                  Ray wrote:
                  >Thank you for your insights. What do you say to the problem that annoys me
                  >about sites that don't provide easy links to backtrack?

                  I say you should learn how to open new windows yourself, if that's
                  what you want. And as I hinted at earlier, you would probably have
                  done se long ago if it hadn't become almost a rule for sites to force
                  new windows for external links. What is the saying? Something like
                  "With freedom comes responsibility". If you want freedom of choice
                  you have to be prepared to make the choices. Maybe you have to be
                  prepared to make them so other people can have freedom of choice even
                  in the cases you don't personally see the need for it.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                    At 15:55 2011-03-26, Ray Shapp wrote:
                    >About half of the members of the club for which I maintain a website have
                    >very limited computer skills. The kind of backtracking I described above
                    >would be very discouraging to them.

                    That's a little like saying that if half the population in a country
                    are analphabets and find books discouraging, there should be no
                    books. Or if only half can drive a car, no one should drive. Isn't
                    that taking democracy too far?

                    I don't think that protecting those members from learning is doing
                    them a favour in the long run. It isn't brain surgery, doesn't take
                    any special computer skills. A monkey can learn to press down a key
                    to get something it wants. It's more a matter of habits that are a
                    little hard do break, I think. When this new window business started
                    people went berserk because it wasn't the expected behaviour (and it
                    was rude too!). Now some people are so used to it they think things
                    aren't working if it isn't there. No big deal.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                      loro wrote:
                      > It validates now under (X)HTML Transitional.

                      And of course you're absolutely right again. I took one of the pages I
                      quoted at face value and never checked.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                        loro wrote:
                        > I say you should learn how to open new windows yourself,

                        Well no, Ray's got a point here. I don't want tabs and windows all over
                        the place and I rely on my back button. So when a good page directs me
                        to another and that breaks my browsing, it's annoying alright and out of
                        the good guy's control.

                        BUT, Ray, in all browsers I know the back button is not just a button.
                        You can make it drop open and choose from a whole bunch of earlier
                        pages, the right one, hopefully and usually among them. So if you do the
                        right thing, people can always get back to your page, if only they know
                        how to use their own tools. After all, if you run a boarding house and
                        give people directions, you do usually assume they know how to drive. It
                        is only on the net you're expected to hold their hands and do that for
                        them as well. I refuse to.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                          Axel wrote:
                          >loro wrote:
                          > > I say you should learn how to open new windows yourself,
                          >
                          >Well no, Ray's got a point here. I don't want tabs and windows all over
                          >the place and I rely on my back button.

                          So don't open new windows then. :-)

                          The whole sentence was: "I say you should learn how to open new
                          windows yourself, _if_that's_what_you_want._"

                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                            loro wrote:
                            > So don't open new windows then. :-)

                            Quite. The point Ray made was, that you never know beforehand, who's
                            going to do the nasty on you. You you either open new windows right,
                            left, and centre or you're sure to end up bitten - both equally not
                            nice. So the browser makers thought of that too - they thought of a lot
                            of things to block the nasties, be it tiny script or garish colour - and
                            offer the extended back function.

                            The point we're both agreed on, I think, is: don't second guess your
                            visitors, don't attempt to think for them, but make it so, that they are
                            given the maximum of power and freedom to do their own thing with their
                            own tools.

                            The WDR radio website seems to have one of those bigger/smaller buttons
                            that use script to change the font size, but when you click it, a page
                            opens explaining exactly how to do that in several of the common
                            browsers. Personally I find that kind of thing a bit condescending and
                            wouldn't do it myself, but if that's what it takes, then why not?

                            Axel
                          • Michael Rawley
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                              Axel Burger wrote
                              > the big advantage was, that it made
                              > writing the site quite easy. Without frames each complete page is one
                              > HTML-file. You have to include the menu in each and every one of them
                              > and what's worse, you have to aplly all changes to all the files. A
                              > nightmare.
                              > Axel

                              Making the same changes to a folder full of files is easy! It is also rather
                              scary, but the feeling of achievement in modifying 300 odd files in one go
                              is worth it

                              I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.

                              Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

                              Michael Rawley
                              www.normist.co.uk
                            • Ray Shapp
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                                Hi Axel, Lotta, Mike,

                                This is just to let you know I haven't gone away. I've spent the whole day
                                trying to learn the lessons contained in Axel's great tutorial at
                                http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Webdesign/Testpage.htm# and to consider
                                carefully what you folks have said in your messages.

                                So far, I have successfully tested my first web page using SSI. I discovered
                                it was failing because Apache requires a file extension like ".shtm". After
                                fixing that, I was able to confirm that the hosting service for the club's
                                website does act on SSI directives, but a site for classic car restorations
                                (at a different hosting service) which I also maintain does not. It merely
                                renders the SSI as text. That's OK for now because it's the club's site that
                                I want to modify to eliminate the use of frames.

                                I also placed a German dictionary in my bookmarks, and I had fun trying to
                                understand some of the comments linked from
                                http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than
                                I had imagined (assuming that is not
                                a very old photo of you).

                                Most of what I have seen today is quite daunting because it's new to me. A
                                basic question before I go much farther though: my main nav bar in the
                                redesigned website will be along the top of the page. Can SSI and a
                                modification of the script at
                                http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
                                when the user scrolls down the page?

                                If this discussion does nothing else, it will definitely reduce the number
                                of instances where I use target="_blank". On the other hand, I have special
                                audiences for both the club website and the classic car website. In the
                                first case, the majority of users do need extra hand-holding. Most don't
                                know about the drop-down window on the Back button, and they don't want to
                                learn about it. We have a wide range of ages in the club, but the modal
                                member is probably 55 to 60 years of age. The important audience on the
                                classic cars website is special because the content of the site is mostly
                                about rare vehicles. For example, users who want to know about 1918 Cadillac
                                laundry trucks will want to stay on our site because the internet doesn't
                                offer many other places to see that kind of vehicle. The site is also
                                special because car enthusiasts tend to be unfamiliar with web navigation.
                                It was after speaking with a number of visitors that we realized many of
                                them were not scrolling vertically. In response, we placed a large white
                                downward-pointing arrow labeled "more below" on the Home page. All our
                                thumbnails are accompanied by a hint indicating that a click on the picture
                                will display a larger version. Otherwise many visitors will miss important
                                content.

                                I need to take my first break all day now to get something to eat, but I'll
                                be back later. I really like working with this stuff. Thank you all!

                                Ray Shapp

                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                                  Ray wrote:
                                  >Can SSI and a modification of the script at
                                  >http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
                                  >when the user scrolls down the page?

                                  Includes don't do anything more than glue the content of files
                                  together before the page is served, like a server-side Find &
                                  Replace, you could say, only it isn't permanent, the physical files
                                  aren't changed.

                                  I think you are looking for 'position: fixed' (that isn't supported
                                  by older versions of IE, but there are workarounds).
                                  http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-position

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                    Michael Rawley wrote:
                                    > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
                                    > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

                                    You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
                                    forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
                                    there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
                                    deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
                                    into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
                                    clip.

                                    Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
                                    the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
                                    in a dummy folder first.

                                    Beware of long lines

                                    ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                                    ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
                                    ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
                                    ; End of invidual adaptation

                                    ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
                                    ;^!SetDebug On
                                    ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
                                    Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
                                    file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
                                    %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
                                    ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
                                    ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
                                    :yessub
                                    ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                                    ^!Goto loop
                                    :nosub
                                    ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                                    :loop
                                    ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
                                    ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
                                    ^!Open "^%varFIL%"

                                    ; Adapt this part to the task in hand

                                    ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
                                    "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
                                    ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
                                    "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS

                                    ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
                                    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS

                                    ; End of invidual adaptation

                                    ^!Close ALL,SAVE
                                    ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
                                    ^!Goto loop
                                    :finished
                                    ^!CloseFileFind

                                    > Michael Rawley
                                    > www.normist.co.uk

                                    Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                                  • Ray Shapp
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                      Hi Michael and Axel,

                                      I will definitely need to use the global replace command in NoteTab
                                      (Ctrl+D), however it will be done piecemeal on limited subsections of the
                                      site. Currently I have nearly 6,000 files in 238 folders on the astronomy
                                      club's website. More than 3,000 of the files are JPGs, PDFs, XLS files, and
                                      DOC files, but that still leaves about 2300 html pages. The index frame
                                      points to 21 subsections in addition to the Home page. Over the past 12
                                      years well over a dozen members created and edited various web pages or
                                      whole sections of the site, and they used a wide variety of formats.

                                      While eliminating the frames, I want to develop a single CSS style sheet
                                      that will apply to most HTML pages. I want also a fixed nav bar preferably
                                      at the top of every page. Most of the current web pages were designed for
                                      800x600 resolution displays. I want to change that to 1024x768. Of course,
                                      the site needs to remain usable during the transition, and I am working
                                      alone on this project. Our hosting plan allows 5GB of storage, and we are
                                      using only a little over 1GB now. I think it may be best to duplicate the
                                      entire site using an alternate web address as I convert sections to the new
                                      format. I'll give out the alternate address to only a few members who might
                                      have constructive comments about usability of the new design. Axel's clip
                                      (shown below) will be very useful for making conversions on well-defined
                                      subsections of the site.

                                      I don't have any time limit. The only time pressure I feel is
                                      self-generated.

                                      Ray Shapp

                                      On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                                      > Michael Rawley wrote:
                                      > > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
                                      > > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!
                                      >
                                      > You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
                                      > forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
                                      > there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
                                      > deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
                                      > into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
                                      > clip.
                                      >
                                      > Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
                                      > the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
                                      > in a dummy folder first.
                                      >
                                      > Beware of long lines
                                      >
                                      > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                                      > ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
                                      > ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
                                      > ; End of invidual adaptation
                                      >
                                      > ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
                                      > ;^!SetDebug On
                                      > ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
                                      > Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
                                      > file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
                                      > %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
                                      > ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
                                      > ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
                                      > :yessub
                                      > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                                      > ^!Goto loop
                                      > :nosub
                                      > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                                      > :loop
                                      > ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
                                      > ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
                                      > ^!Open "^%varFIL%"
                                      >
                                      > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                                      >
                                      > ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
                                      > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
                                      > ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
                                      > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS
                                      >
                                      > ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
                                      > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS
                                      >
                                      > ; End of invidual adaptation
                                      >
                                      > ^!Close ALL,SAVE
                                      > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
                                      > ^!Goto loop
                                      > :finished
                                      > ^!CloseFileFind
                                      >

                                      > > Michael Rawley
                                      > > www.normist.co.uk

                                      > --
                                      > Johann-H�ck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

                                    • Scott Fordin
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                        FWIW, I think that, in most cases, you don't want to open links in new
                                        windows for many of the reasons already mentioned here. For example, I
                                        know the style guidelines for all external Sun Microsystems (let's take
                                        a moment here to shed a tear) Web sites specifically prohibited spawning
                                        new windows except in relatively rare circumstances.

                                        There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows
                                        when you want to provide additional information about a topic or product
                                        without losing the initial context. Examples here include, say, an
                                        online help system, or individual photos in a gallery, or a page that
                                        compares a series of products, or a link to a PDF coupon, or a link that
                                        takes you to another Web site in an entirely different domain.

                                        All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                                        named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                                        spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                                        history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                                        but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                                        Finally, you could also use some sort of hover-based pop-up for certain
                                        kinds of content, but that can lead to all sorts of browser, platform,
                                        and accessibility issues. For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                                        great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                                        screen reading add-ons.

                                        Scott

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                          Scott wrote:
                                          >All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                                          >named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                                          >spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                                          >history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                                          >but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                                          Ah, but only if that's what you want. What if the user actually likes
                                          to open new windows and what if he also likes to save windows with
                                          pages he might want to peruse later, so he minimizes them or lets
                                          them lose focus while he goes through the rest of the links (I do
                                          this a lot myself). When he wants to read that interesting page, lo
                                          and behold, it has been replaced with a totally different page. Boo-hoo.

                                          That's what it boils down to. No one knows what anyone else wants or
                                          prefers in a given situation. So keep the options open.

                                          I'm not adamant about this. There are situations when I think a
                                          little JS window fits in and doesn't harm anything, but for navigation - nuh.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                            Scott Fordin wrote:
                                            > There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows

                                            Yes absolutely. I know I tend to be of the black and white school with
                                            no exceptions, but when used sensibly pop-ups and new windows do have
                                            their place. Just remember how rare these instances are.

                                            > For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                                            > great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                                            > screen reading add-ons.

                                            And of course for those fed up with noisy disturbing backgrounds all
                                            browsers offer a setting to turn them off. The result is that for me all
                                            these hovers have a transparent background and become illegible. Alas
                                            the number of sensible uses of the hover technique is minuscule compared
                                            to all the inappropriate backgrounds so I live with it.

                                            Axel
                                          • Ray Shapp
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                              Hi Axel and Scott,

                                              I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                                              Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                                              "Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                                              product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                                              a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                                              sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                                              pop-up"?

                                              Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware on the NewEgg site
                                              are illegible for you?

                                              Separate but related question: Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                                              spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                                              Ray Shapp

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                                Ray Shapp wrote:
                                                > Is this an example of a "hover-based pop-up"?

                                                Yes, exactly.
                                                > Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware
                                                > on the NewEgg site are illegible for you?

                                                I am. Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                                                this is what I see:

                                                http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                                                > Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                                                > spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                                                Yes. Mostly it seems to be because many authors just don't know how to
                                                do it in pure CSS. On the other hand this example conforms to a
                                                useability rule of adding a slight delay. See:
                                                http://www.useit.com/alertbox/mega-dropdown-menus.html
                                                under the heading "Speed".

                                                So here script is good, but they ought to implement pure CSS first and
                                                have the script, when running, turn that off first and replace it by the
                                                better version. Never exclude visitors without script.

                                                By the way my sample design employs the CSS solution in the left menu
                                                and it shows the problems with that. Try moving down to a certain top
                                                menu entry from the top, you'll fail. I ought to write a script with
                                                delay for that, but then we all ought to do many things ...

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                                  Ray Shapp wrote:
                                                  > BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than I had imagined
                                                  > (assuming that is not a very old photo of you).

                                                  My daughter keeps chiding me about that. It's more than thirty years old
                                                  and I was younger then than she's now. It happens to be the only
                                                  photograph
                                                  of myself I ever liked.
                                                  A more current one is this Buddha
                                                  http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Axel.jpg

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                                    Ray Shapp wrote:
                                                    >I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                                                    >Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                                                    >"Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                                                    >product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                                                    >a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                                                    >sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                                                    >pop-up"?

                                                    Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup ( a new window). It's a
                                                    section of the same page that was previously hidden that is shown
                                                    when the link is hovered.

                                                    Lotta
                                                  • Ray Shapp
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                                                      Quoting Axel:
                                                      Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                                                      this is what I see:

                                                      http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                                                      That's odd! Here is what I see:

                                                      http://www.classiccars.ws/testing/ScreenShot004.jpg

                                                      Notice they use a link title as well as hover pop-up. That's probably
                                                      because some browsers are deliberately set to ignore JavaScript or are
                                                      unable to do so. I am using Firefox v3.6.16 under Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

                                                      Quoting Lotta:
                                                      Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup

                                                      That makes sense. Otherwise my pop-up blocker would prevent me from seeing
                                                      the enhanced menu.

                                                      Ray Shapp

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                                                        Ray Shapp wrote:
                                                        > That's odd!

                                                        Not odd at all, self-inflicted. In Firefox the setting is found in
                                                        Tools-->Options-->Content-->Colors-->Allow pages...-->No

                                                        The reason is that now all text on all pages is optimally legible
                                                        whatever bad contrast and noisy background a misguided designer-artist
                                                        may have chosen. As Jacob Nielsen keeps saying, people do not browse to
                                                        pages to admire their beauty but to find things and get things done as
                                                        quickly and as efficiently as possible. The default background of all
                                                        elements except <BODY> is transparent and if I forbid changing that,
                                                        that's what I'll get and hovering in front of other content won't work
                                                        for text.

                                                        Your mileage may vary, but whenever I turn colours back on for a page
                                                        like that one I tend to leave it on for a while and I find that very
                                                        soon the terrible abominations of taste I'm confronted with make me turn
                                                        it off very soon again. But be that as it may, it is a fully legal
                                                        setting that ALL browsers offer right there as a menu switch, so just
                                                        like script on and off, a minimum font size, and varying window size
                                                        conscientious designers have to be prepared for it and ensure their
                                                        designs basic useability. An ugly kludge is fine, it is self inflicted
                                                        by the visitor after all, but useable it has to be.

                                                        One possibility would be hover an image, one white pixel with width and
                                                        height in em, and hover the text in front of that. Contrary to script
                                                        there is no way, not even employing script, to find out what the
                                                        vistor's settings are so it's not possible to employ the cludge only
                                                        when needed. With bad luck your image has exactly the visitor's font
                                                        colour and will make things even worse.