Use Of target="_blank"

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
      To all,

      Please tell me your opinion about using target="_blank" in hyperlinks.

      Well over a year ago, this topic was discussed on this Y! group or on
      ntb-clips. I recall some folks advocated strongly, but I don't remember what
      the arguments were in favor or against.

      I am about to make big changes to one of my websites, and I want not only to
      make it easy for my users, but also conform to good practices. Currently,
      the site uses frames, therefore, the main navigation links can always be
      visible. In those cases where links take the user away from my site, I use
      target=_"blank" to launch a new instance of the browser or a new tab in the
      browser.

      Links to pages within the original site usually don't launch any new
      instances of the browser or browser tabs.

      What's your opinion?

      Thank you.

      Ray Shapp

      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        >Please tell me your opinion about using target="_blank" in hyperlinks.
        >
        >Well over a year ago, this topic was discussed on this Y! group or on
        >ntb-clips. I recall some folks advocated strongly, but I don't remember what
        >the arguments were in favor or against.

        I think it boils down to three main points.

        1. It's bad practice, or at least redundant, to recreate behaviour
        that every browser has built in. Back button, go to top and bottom of
        the page, open a link in a new window...

        2. It's definitely bad practice to force something on users that they
        may not want. If links are left alone they can be opened in new
        windows or not at will. If you use target="_blank." you take away the
        user's power of choice.

        3. It's said to be troublesome for people who use screen readers.

        That said, the darn thing is back in HTML5, so there goes some 10
        years of work to get rid of it down the drain. But the points above
        still apply and more and more sites stop doing it, even big ones.

        The sad thing is that people have gotten so used to off-site links
        opening in a new window that they sometimes complain when they don't.
        When informed about Shift-click, middle-click and what other ways
        there are to do this yourself, it often turns out they had no idea
        they could do that, at least not that they could do it easily without
        using the context menu. The same way as many people don't know they
        can change the text size even if there isn't a widget on the site or
        make lines have a more comfortable length by resizing their browser
        window (if the site doesn't make those things impossible). I believe
        many more would know how to use their browser if sites hadn't made it
        so hard at times. You try once or twice, it doesn't work, you forget about it.

        As usual, it's a mess. But today it's spring outside, so who cares
        about web messes? Not me when the sun is shining at last! ;-)
        Lotta
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
          Hi Lotta,

          Thank you for your insights. What do you say to the problem that annoys me
          about sites that don't provide easy links to backtrack? IOW, I have visited
          sites where I have clicked seven or eight windows deep and then want to go
          back to say the third or fourth window. Yes, I can hit backspace four times.
          That has happened often enough so that now, when I am visiting an
          unfamiliar site I often shift-click to each successive window so that I
          don't "get lost" in backtracking.

          Maybe I'm glum because winter has returned to the northeast U.S. and sunrise
          is still hours away.

          Ray Shapp

          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            > I recall some folks advocated strongly,

            That must have been me among others, doesn't take much to set me off in
            a rant on that subject.

            Three reasons
            1) It doesn't validate (though Lotta says that will change in HTML 5).
            2) It is my computer and my browser and I decide when and when not to
            open tabs and windows. See:
            http://www.minervation.com/index.aspx?o=1149&newsitem=1812
            http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html
            3) Perhaps most important and worst: It breaks the back-button.

            This also goes for non-browser files. I forbid my Acrobat to sit inside
            a browser window, so whenever someone makes a PDF link with
            target="_blank" I will get an EMPTY tab. It is better to add the
            following to your .htaccess:
            <FilesMatch "\.(pdf|mp3)$">
            Header add Content-Disposition "Attachment"
            </FilesMatch>

            One last related point. It is good to add
            <BASE TARGET="_top">
            to your <HEAD>. This prevents others from opening your page in a frame
            of their frameset thus hiding the source and claiming your work as their
            own.

            And one very last:
            > Currently, the site uses frames, therefore, the main
            > navigation links can always be visible.

            If you have not done so already take a look at server side includes. You
            might also adopt a little script of mine. It checks whether the window
            is wide enough to prevent horizontal scrolling and high enough to take
            all the menu and if both conditions are satisfied it makes the menu
            fixed. Thus it will always be there and people who have scrolled down
            several pages need not go back up again to find it. (Your current frames
            do that already.)
            http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js
            (Forget the "unten" bit. You'll also see a bit of bad style in there. In
            the spirit of semantic markup I ought to have used <DIV ID="menu"> and
            not <DIV ID="left">.)

            Axel
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
              Hi Axel,

              Thank you for your reply. I've read it all several times and will have
              questions about other parts later, but my experience in following your
              recommended reference at
              http://www.minervation.com/index.aspx?o=1149&newsitem=1812 illustrates the
              problem I want to avoid on my site. After reading the article, I clicked on
              the Google map link on their About Us page. After viewing the map, I clicked
              on a link to Google news. I read a few news articles and followed a link
              from one of the news sites and followed another link from that resulting
              site. Then I wanted to return to your reference. After mashing the Backspace
              key half a dozen times, I abandoned the backtracking and returned to your
              message in my mail client instead. My return to your reference would have
              been so much more convenient if their Google map link had spawned a new tab
              in my browser.

              About half of the members of the club for which I maintain a website have
              very limited computer skills. The kind of backtracking I described above
              would be very discouraging to them. Yes, it is true that my use of the
              target attribute "breaks" the back button, but I think I provide a more
              beneficial experience when the user finds that the original page is still
              there after he/she is done with all the linking around the web.

              I'm not sure how to implement your function gross() script, but, if it will
              keep my nav bar in view as the user opens various pages on our site, then I
              will not need to use the target attribute. You mentioned the script in your
              paragraph that begins with a comment about server side includes. Does that
              mean your script should go into the cgi-bin folder on the hosting site or is
              it enough to post your script in a comment near the top of my HTML pages?
              IOW, how do I invoke the script on my web pages? For example, I tried to
              test SSI with a simple web page at:

              http://www.asterism.org/shapp/SSI.htm

              I expected it to output a list of variables, but it merely displays "Hello".

              Ray Shapp

              On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

              > Ray Shapp wrote:
              > > I recall some folks advocated strongly,
              >
              > That must have been me among others, doesn't take much to set me off in
              > a rant on that subject.
              >
              > Three reasons
              > 1) It doesn't validate (though Lotta says that will change in HTML 5).
              > 2) It is my computer and my browser and I decide when and when not to
              > open tabs and windows. See:
              > http://www.minervation.com/index.aspx?o=1149&newsitem=1812
              > http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html
              > 3) Perhaps most important and worst: It breaks the back-button.
              >
              > This also goes for non-browser files. I forbid my Acrobat to sit inside
              > a browser window, so whenever someone makes a PDF link with
              > target="_blank" I will get an EMPTY tab. It is better to add the
              > following to your .htaccess:
              > <FilesMatch "\.(pdf|mp3)$">
              > Header add Content-Disposition "Attachment"
              > </FilesMatch>
              >
              > One last related point. It is good to add
              > <BASE TARGET="_top">
              > to your <HEAD>. This prevents others from opening your page in a frame
              > of their frameset thus hiding the source and claiming your work as their
              > own.
              >
              > And one very last:
              >
              > > Currently, the site uses frames, therefore, the main
              > > navigation links can always be visible.
              >
              > If you have not done so already take a look at server side includes. You
              > might also adopt a little script of mine. It checks whether the window
              > is wide enough to prevent horizontal scrolling and high enough to take
              > all the menu and if both conditions are satisfied it makes the menu
              > fixed. Thus it will always be there and people who have scrolled down
              > several pages need not go back up again to find it. (Your current frames
              > do that already.)
              > http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js
              > (Forget the "unten" bit. You'll also see a bit of bad style in there. In
              > the spirit of semantic markup I ought to have used <DIV ID="menu"> and
              > not <DIV ID="left">.)
              >
              > Axel

            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                On 3/26/2011 10:55 AM, Ray Shapp wrote:
                > About half of the members of the club for which I maintain a website have
                > very limited computer skills. The kind of backtracking I described above
                > would be very discouraging to them.

                It is not just "the club".
                I find it to be the case with most web users.
                I always use target="_blank" for that very reason.

                -Mike
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                  Ray Shapp wrote:
                  > if it will keep my nav bar in view as the user opens various
                  > pages on our site,

                  Several questions here, I'll try to keep some logic in the answer. With
                  frames you have different parts of the window in different files and
                  moing around on your own site normally involves just changing one frame.
                  I won't repeat the disadvantges, the big advantage was, that it made
                  writing the site quite easy. Without frames each complete page is one
                  HTML-file. You have to include the menu in each and every one of them
                  and what's worse, you have to aplly all changes to all the files. A
                  nightmare. So what you do instead looks like this:

                  <DIV ID="left">
                  <!--#include virtual="/base/navigation.htm" -->
                  </DIV> <!-- end #left -->

                  The #include virtual is a command for the server software to drop the
                  contents of navigation.htm here and serve that as HTML to the visitor.
                  You need a hoster that offers SSI. Not all do and those often only with
                  "premium" accounts. Another problem is, you can't just view those pages
                  locally before uploading. You need to run Apache on your own computer
                  for that and then call http://localhost/. So it definitely is more
                  hassle than simple frames, or at least it is the first time.

                  Leave the script for later, it is just a bit of icing on the cake. In my
                  CSS I have

                  #left {
                  float: left;
                  position: relative; /* relative Needed for IE/win */
                  z-index: 6;
                  }

                  Now the obvious thing, seen on other pages, would be simply to make that
                  position: fixed;. The page would be rendered normally and then the menu
                  would stay put in its corner of the window however you scroll. In a
                  narroew window you can't scroll it out left, it wiss stay in the way and
                  in a shallow one the bottom entries might end up outside the window and
                  inaccessible.

                  The script needs to go into the <HEAD> (after modifying for your needs)
                  as

                  <SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript" SRC="/base/fix-menue.js"></SCRIPT>

                  It does its checking of window size and if appropriate exchanges that
                  position: relative; with position: fixed; and back again when the window
                  is made smaller.

                  I forgot to mention that I wrote some of this up with a complete example
                  here:
                  http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Sudel/Webdesign.htm

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                    Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    > I always use target="_blank" for that very reason.

                    And that way you put visitors in the habit of closing the window or tab
                    instead of going back so that on a well-made site they end up with a
                    blank screen without any browser window at all. I'll try not to blow my
                    top here, I do that often enough while browsing other people's sites.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                      At 11:00 2011-03-26, Axel Berger wrote:
                      >1) It doesn't validate (though Lotta says that will change in HTML 5).

                      It validates now under (X)HTML Transitional.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                        Ray wrote:
                        >Thank you for your insights. What do you say to the problem that annoys me
                        >about sites that don't provide easy links to backtrack?

                        I say you should learn how to open new windows yourself, if that's
                        what you want. And as I hinted at earlier, you would probably have
                        done se long ago if it hadn't become almost a rule for sites to force
                        new windows for external links. What is the saying? Something like
                        "With freedom comes responsibility". If you want freedom of choice
                        you have to be prepared to make the choices. Maybe you have to be
                        prepared to make them so other people can have freedom of choice even
                        in the cases you don't personally see the need for it.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                          At 15:55 2011-03-26, Ray Shapp wrote:
                          >About half of the members of the club for which I maintain a website have
                          >very limited computer skills. The kind of backtracking I described above
                          >would be very discouraging to them.

                          That's a little like saying that if half the population in a country
                          are analphabets and find books discouraging, there should be no
                          books. Or if only half can drive a car, no one should drive. Isn't
                          that taking democracy too far?

                          I don't think that protecting those members from learning is doing
                          them a favour in the long run. It isn't brain surgery, doesn't take
                          any special computer skills. A monkey can learn to press down a key
                          to get something it wants. It's more a matter of habits that are a
                          little hard do break, I think. When this new window business started
                          people went berserk because it wasn't the expected behaviour (and it
                          was rude too!). Now some people are so used to it they think things
                          aren't working if it isn't there. No big deal.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                            loro wrote:
                            > It validates now under (X)HTML Transitional.

                            And of course you're absolutely right again. I took one of the pages I
                            quoted at face value and never checked.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                              loro wrote:
                              > I say you should learn how to open new windows yourself,

                              Well no, Ray's got a point here. I don't want tabs and windows all over
                              the place and I rely on my back button. So when a good page directs me
                              to another and that breaks my browsing, it's annoying alright and out of
                              the good guy's control.

                              BUT, Ray, in all browsers I know the back button is not just a button.
                              You can make it drop open and choose from a whole bunch of earlier
                              pages, the right one, hopefully and usually among them. So if you do the
                              right thing, people can always get back to your page, if only they know
                              how to use their own tools. After all, if you run a boarding house and
                              give people directions, you do usually assume they know how to drive. It
                              is only on the net you're expected to hold their hands and do that for
                              them as well. I refuse to.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                                Axel wrote:
                                >loro wrote:
                                > > I say you should learn how to open new windows yourself,
                                >
                                >Well no, Ray's got a point here. I don't want tabs and windows all over
                                >the place and I rely on my back button.

                                So don't open new windows then. :-)

                                The whole sentence was: "I say you should learn how to open new
                                windows yourself, _if_that's_what_you_want._"

                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                                  loro wrote:
                                  > So don't open new windows then. :-)

                                  Quite. The point Ray made was, that you never know beforehand, who's
                                  going to do the nasty on you. You you either open new windows right,
                                  left, and centre or you're sure to end up bitten - both equally not
                                  nice. So the browser makers thought of that too - they thought of a lot
                                  of things to block the nasties, be it tiny script or garish colour - and
                                  offer the extended back function.

                                  The point we're both agreed on, I think, is: don't second guess your
                                  visitors, don't attempt to think for them, but make it so, that they are
                                  given the maximum of power and freedom to do their own thing with their
                                  own tools.

                                  The WDR radio website seems to have one of those bigger/smaller buttons
                                  that use script to change the font size, but when you click it, a page
                                  opens explaining exactly how to do that in several of the common
                                  browsers. Personally I find that kind of thing a bit condescending and
                                  wouldn't do it myself, but if that's what it takes, then why not?

                                  Axel
                                • Michael Rawley
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                                    Axel Burger wrote
                                    > the big advantage was, that it made
                                    > writing the site quite easy. Without frames each complete page is one
                                    > HTML-file. You have to include the menu in each and every one of them
                                    > and what's worse, you have to aplly all changes to all the files. A
                                    > nightmare.
                                    > Axel

                                    Making the same changes to a folder full of files is easy! It is also rather
                                    scary, but the feeling of achievement in modifying 300 odd files in one go
                                    is worth it

                                    I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.

                                    Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

                                    Michael Rawley
                                    www.normist.co.uk
                                  • Ray Shapp
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                                      Hi Axel, Lotta, Mike,

                                      This is just to let you know I haven't gone away. I've spent the whole day
                                      trying to learn the lessons contained in Axel's great tutorial at
                                      http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Webdesign/Testpage.htm# and to consider
                                      carefully what you folks have said in your messages.

                                      So far, I have successfully tested my first web page using SSI. I discovered
                                      it was failing because Apache requires a file extension like ".shtm". After
                                      fixing that, I was able to confirm that the hosting service for the club's
                                      website does act on SSI directives, but a site for classic car restorations
                                      (at a different hosting service) which I also maintain does not. It merely
                                      renders the SSI as text. That's OK for now because it's the club's site that
                                      I want to modify to eliminate the use of frames.

                                      I also placed a German dictionary in my bookmarks, and I had fun trying to
                                      understand some of the comments linked from
                                      http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than
                                      I had imagined (assuming that is not
                                      a very old photo of you).

                                      Most of what I have seen today is quite daunting because it's new to me. A
                                      basic question before I go much farther though: my main nav bar in the
                                      redesigned website will be along the top of the page. Can SSI and a
                                      modification of the script at
                                      http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
                                      when the user scrolls down the page?

                                      If this discussion does nothing else, it will definitely reduce the number
                                      of instances where I use target="_blank". On the other hand, I have special
                                      audiences for both the club website and the classic car website. In the
                                      first case, the majority of users do need extra hand-holding. Most don't
                                      know about the drop-down window on the Back button, and they don't want to
                                      learn about it. We have a wide range of ages in the club, but the modal
                                      member is probably 55 to 60 years of age. The important audience on the
                                      classic cars website is special because the content of the site is mostly
                                      about rare vehicles. For example, users who want to know about 1918 Cadillac
                                      laundry trucks will want to stay on our site because the internet doesn't
                                      offer many other places to see that kind of vehicle. The site is also
                                      special because car enthusiasts tend to be unfamiliar with web navigation.
                                      It was after speaking with a number of visitors that we realized many of
                                      them were not scrolling vertically. In response, we placed a large white
                                      downward-pointing arrow labeled "more below" on the Home page. All our
                                      thumbnails are accompanied by a hint indicating that a click on the picture
                                      will display a larger version. Otherwise many visitors will miss important
                                      content.

                                      I need to take my first break all day now to get something to eat, but I'll
                                      be back later. I really like working with this stuff. Thank you all!

                                      Ray Shapp

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 26, 2011
                                        Ray wrote:
                                        >Can SSI and a modification of the script at
                                        >http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js keep the nav bar in view
                                        >when the user scrolls down the page?

                                        Includes don't do anything more than glue the content of files
                                        together before the page is served, like a server-side Find &
                                        Replace, you could say, only it isn't permanent, the physical files
                                        aren't changed.

                                        I think you are looking for 'position: fixed' (that isn't supported
                                        by older versions of IE, but there are workarounds).
                                        http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-position

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                          Michael Rawley wrote:
                                          > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
                                          > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!

                                          You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
                                          forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
                                          there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
                                          deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
                                          into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
                                          clip.

                                          Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
                                          the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
                                          in a dummy folder first.

                                          Beware of long lines

                                          ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                                          ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
                                          ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
                                          ; End of invidual adaptation

                                          ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
                                          ;^!SetDebug On
                                          ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
                                          Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
                                          file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
                                          %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
                                          ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
                                          ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
                                          :yessub
                                          ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                                          ^!Goto loop
                                          :nosub
                                          ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                                          :loop
                                          ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
                                          ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
                                          ^!Open "^%varFIL%"

                                          ; Adapt this part to the task in hand

                                          ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
                                          "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
                                          ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
                                          "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS

                                          ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
                                          "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS

                                          ; End of invidual adaptation

                                          ^!Close ALL,SAVE
                                          ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
                                          ^!Goto loop
                                          :finished
                                          ^!CloseFileFind

                                          > Michael Rawley
                                          > www.normist.co.uk

                                          Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                                        • Ray Shapp
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                            Hi Michael and Axel,

                                            I will definitely need to use the global replace command in NoteTab
                                            (Ctrl+D), however it will be done piecemeal on limited subsections of the
                                            site. Currently I have nearly 6,000 files in 238 folders on the astronomy
                                            club's website. More than 3,000 of the files are JPGs, PDFs, XLS files, and
                                            DOC files, but that still leaves about 2300 html pages. The index frame
                                            points to 21 subsections in addition to the Home page. Over the past 12
                                            years well over a dozen members created and edited various web pages or
                                            whole sections of the site, and they used a wide variety of formats.

                                            While eliminating the frames, I want to develop a single CSS style sheet
                                            that will apply to most HTML pages. I want also a fixed nav bar preferably
                                            at the top of every page. Most of the current web pages were designed for
                                            800x600 resolution displays. I want to change that to 1024x768. Of course,
                                            the site needs to remain usable during the transition, and I am working
                                            alone on this project. Our hosting plan allows 5GB of storage, and we are
                                            using only a little over 1GB now. I think it may be best to duplicate the
                                            entire site using an alternate web address as I convert sections to the new
                                            format. I'll give out the alternate address to only a few members who might
                                            have constructive comments about usability of the new design. Axel's clip
                                            (shown below) will be very useful for making conversions on well-defined
                                            subsections of the site.

                                            I don't have any time limit. The only time pressure I feel is
                                            self-generated.

                                            Ray Shapp

                                            On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                                            > Michael Rawley wrote:
                                            > > I am, of course, refering to the command 'Ctrl-D'.
                                            > > Try it on half a dozen dummy files first!
                                            >
                                            > You're right of course! I have done that quite a few times and I
                                            > forewent the trial. But you will admit, I think, that editing one file -
                                            > there will ususally be more than change, even moving something is one
                                            > deletion plus one entry - is quite different from converting each step
                                            > into a replace command (find the right and only the right place) or a
                                            > clip.
                                            >
                                            > Anyway, I have a prepared clip for just that, where you only need to add
                                            > the specific task at hand. N.B: Defeintely try this out on dummy files
                                            > in a dummy folder first.
                                            >
                                            > Beware of long lines
                                            >
                                            > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                                            > ^!Set %varFIL%="F:\Webspace\index.php"
                                            > ^!Set %varPAT%="*.htm;*.php"
                                            > ; End of invidual adaptation
                                            >
                                            > ^!SetWizardLabel "Please define the files to be converted"
                                            > ;^!SetDebug On
                                            > ^!Set %varFIL%=^?{(T=O;F="Source
                                            > Files|*.html;*.htm;*.?html;*.xml;*asp;*.css;*.php;*.php3;*.php4")Sample
                                            > file=^%varFIL%}; %varSDR%=^?{(T=L)Include Subdirectories?==_Yes|No};
                                            > %varPAT%=^?{Search Pattern=^%varPAT%}
                                            > ^!Set %varPTH%=^$GetPath(^%varFIL%)$
                                            > ^!If "^%varSDR%"="Yes" yessub ELSE nosub
                                            > :yessub
                                            > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("+^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                                            > ^!Goto loop
                                            > :nosub
                                            > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileFirst("^%varPTH%";"^%varPAT%")$
                                            > :loop
                                            > ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%varFIL%)$ finished
                                            > ;^!Continue ^%varFIL%
                                            > ^!Open "^%varFIL%"
                                            >
                                            > ; Adapt this part to the task in hand
                                            >
                                            > ^!Replace "http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" >>
                                            > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/valid-html401.png" WAS
                                            > ^!Replace "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss" >>
                                            > "http://berger-odenthal.de/pics/vcss.png" WAS
                                            >
                                            > ;^!Replace "//EN"> <" >> "//EN"^P
                                            > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">^P<" WAS
                                            >
                                            > ; End of invidual adaptation
                                            >
                                            > ^!Close ALL,SAVE
                                            > ^!Set %varFIL%=^$GetFileNext$
                                            > ^!Goto loop
                                            > :finished
                                            > ^!CloseFileFind
                                            >

                                            > > Michael Rawley
                                            > > www.normist.co.uk

                                            > --
                                            > Johann-H�ck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

                                          • Scott Fordin
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                              FWIW, I think that, in most cases, you don't want to open links in new
                                              windows for many of the reasons already mentioned here. For example, I
                                              know the style guidelines for all external Sun Microsystems (let's take
                                              a moment here to shed a tear) Web sites specifically prohibited spawning
                                              new windows except in relatively rare circumstances.

                                              There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows
                                              when you want to provide additional information about a topic or product
                                              without losing the initial context. Examples here include, say, an
                                              online help system, or individual photos in a gallery, or a page that
                                              compares a series of products, or a link to a PDF coupon, or a link that
                                              takes you to another Web site in an entirely different domain.

                                              All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                                              named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                                              spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                                              history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                                              but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                                              Finally, you could also use some sort of hover-based pop-up for certain
                                              kinds of content, but that can lead to all sorts of browser, platform,
                                              and accessibility issues. For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                                              great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                                              screen reading add-ons.

                                              Scott

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                                Scott wrote:
                                                >All this said, I think it's much, much better to use a specifically
                                                >named target window rather than _blank, so you're at least not rudely
                                                >spawning a gazillion windows, and it also becomes possible to create a
                                                >history trail in the spawned window. In short, I think _blank is evil,
                                                >but specifically named targets can be quite useful.

                                                Ah, but only if that's what you want. What if the user actually likes
                                                to open new windows and what if he also likes to save windows with
                                                pages he might want to peruse later, so he minimizes them or lets
                                                them lose focus while he goes through the rest of the links (I do
                                                this a lot myself). When he wants to read that interesting page, lo
                                                and behold, it has been replaced with a totally different page. Boo-hoo.

                                                That's what it boils down to. No one knows what anyone else wants or
                                                prefers in a given situation. So keep the options open.

                                                I'm not adamant about this. There are situations when I think a
                                                little JS window fits in and doesn't harm anything, but for navigation - nuh.

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                                  Scott Fordin wrote:
                                                  > There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows

                                                  Yes absolutely. I know I tend to be of the black and white school with
                                                  no exceptions, but when used sensibly pop-ups and new windows do have
                                                  their place. Just remember how rare these instances are.

                                                  > For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
                                                  > great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
                                                  > screen reading add-ons.

                                                  And of course for those fed up with noisy disturbing backgrounds all
                                                  browsers offer a setting to turn them off. The result is that for me all
                                                  these hovers have a transparent background and become illegible. Alas
                                                  the number of sensible uses of the hover technique is minuscule compared
                                                  to all the inappropriate backgrounds so I live with it.

                                                  Axel
                                                • Ray Shapp
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                                    Hi Axel and Scott,

                                                    I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                                                    Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                                                    "Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                                                    product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                                                    a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                                                    sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                                                    pop-up"?

                                                    Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware on the NewEgg site
                                                    are illegible for you?

                                                    Separate but related question: Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                                                    spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                                                    Ray Shapp

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                                      Ray Shapp wrote:
                                                      > Is this an example of a "hover-based pop-up"?

                                                      Yes, exactly.
                                                      > Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware
                                                      > on the NewEgg site are illegible for you?

                                                      I am. Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                                                      this is what I see:

                                                      http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                                                      > Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
                                                      > spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

                                                      Yes. Mostly it seems to be because many authors just don't know how to
                                                      do it in pure CSS. On the other hand this example conforms to a
                                                      useability rule of adding a slight delay. See:
                                                      http://www.useit.com/alertbox/mega-dropdown-menus.html
                                                      under the heading "Speed".

                                                      So here script is good, but they ought to implement pure CSS first and
                                                      have the script, when running, turn that off first and replace it by the
                                                      better version. Never exclude visitors without script.

                                                      By the way my sample design employs the CSS solution in the left menu
                                                      and it shows the problems with that. Try moving down to a certain top
                                                      menu entry from the top, you'll fail. I ought to write a script with
                                                      delay for that, but then we all ought to do many things ...

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                                        Ray Shapp wrote:
                                                        > BTW, Axel, you appear much younger than I had imagined
                                                        > (assuming that is not a very old photo of you).

                                                        My daughter keeps chiding me about that. It's more than thirty years old
                                                        and I was younger then than she's now. It happens to be the only
                                                        photograph
                                                        of myself I ever liked.
                                                        A more current one is this Buddha
                                                        http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Axel.jpg

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Mar 27, 2011
                                                          Ray Shapp wrote:
                                                          >I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say, "hover-based pop-ups".
                                                          >Please look at the NewEgg website <http://www.newegg.com/>. Just below their
                                                          >"Search" window, they have a yellow nav bar containing eleven categories of
                                                          >product beginning with, "COMPUTER HARDWARE". When I hover over that button,
                                                          >a two-column screen opens containing links for about two dozen
                                                          >sub-categories of computer hardware. Is this an example of a "hover-based
                                                          >pop-up"?

                                                          Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup ( a new window). It's a
                                                          section of the same page that was previously hidden that is shown
                                                          when the link is hovered.

                                                          Lotta
                                                        • Ray Shapp
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                                                            Quoting Axel:
                                                            Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
                                                            this is what I see:

                                                            http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

                                                            That's odd! Here is what I see:

                                                            http://www.classiccars.ws/testing/ScreenShot004.jpg

                                                            Notice they use a link title as well as hover pop-up. That's probably
                                                            because some browsers are deliberately set to ignore JavaScript or are
                                                            unable to do so. I am using Firefox v3.6.16 under Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

                                                            Quoting Lotta:
                                                            Hover based it may be, but it isn't a popup

                                                            That makes sense. Otherwise my pop-up blocker would prevent me from seeing
                                                            the enhanced menu.

                                                            Ray Shapp

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Mar 28, 2011
                                                              Ray Shapp wrote:
                                                              > That's odd!

                                                              Not odd at all, self-inflicted. In Firefox the setting is found in
                                                              Tools-->Options-->Content-->Colors-->Allow pages...-->No

                                                              The reason is that now all text on all pages is optimally legible
                                                              whatever bad contrast and noisy background a misguided designer-artist
                                                              may have chosen. As Jacob Nielsen keeps saying, people do not browse to
                                                              pages to admire their beauty but to find things and get things done as
                                                              quickly and as efficiently as possible. The default background of all
                                                              elements except <BODY> is transparent and if I forbid changing that,
                                                              that's what I'll get and hovering in front of other content won't work
                                                              for text.

                                                              Your mileage may vary, but whenever I turn colours back on for a page
                                                              like that one I tend to leave it on for a while and I find that very
                                                              soon the terrible abominations of taste I'm confronted with make me turn
                                                              it off very soon again. But be that as it may, it is a fully legal
                                                              setting that ALL browsers offer right there as a menu switch, so just
                                                              like script on and off, a minimum font size, and varying window size
                                                              conscientious designers have to be prepared for it and ensure their
                                                              designs basic useability. An ugly kludge is fine, it is self inflicted
                                                              by the visitor after all, but useable it has to be.

                                                              One possibility would be hover an image, one white pixel with width and
                                                              height in em, and hover the text in front of that. Contrary to script
                                                              there is no way, not even employing script, to find out what the
                                                              vistor's settings are so it's not possible to employ the cludge only
                                                              when needed. With bad luck your image has exactly the visitor's font
                                                              colour and will make things even worse.