Re: [NH] Question about special characters being replaced with '?' in HTML documents

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4 9:10 AM
      On 2/4/2011 4:02 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
      > John Shotsky wrote:
      >> But my suspicion is that it really is a Unicode problem.
      >> NoteTab is very unreliable when working with Unicode.
      > I agree, after all Unicode is a kind of character set. I tend to use the
      > primitive notepad for pasting and saving from websites and only paste
      > short snippets directly. In the latter case wrong characters are obvious
      > and quickly dealt with. (And many html pages are pasted into in the
      > first place and have broken characters right there, so there's no way
      > manual rework can be eliminated entirely.)
      >
      > Axel

      NoteTab is an ANSI editor, not a Unicode one. Since version 6, it
      supports raw utf-8 as a way of preserving unicode. NoteTab allows you to
      use the Microsoft "ansi" table for utf-8. If you use raw utf-8, upper
      characters will always appear as multiple bytes (goobledy gook) in
      NoteTab regardless of the font chosen. Raw utf-8 is the only choice if
      you want to edit unicode (Basic Multilinqual Plane only) completely
      losslessly in NoteTab. When used for that purpose, it is more like a
      data editor than a text editor. It is possible to use NoteTab to
      reliably modify "unicode" that will be viewed outside of NoteTab, or to
      carry out custom character conversions to "normal" ANSI formats.Utf-8
      regex is the only tool provided.

      All of this operates reliably, but easily goes awry when the user makes
      a mistake. I think (and have previously reported) that better error
      reporting could be implemented. For example, if you tell the PCRE regex
      engine you are testing utf-8 and it sees text that is not utf-8 (e.g.,
      because you've already made erroneous changes) it raises an error which
      NoteTab doesn't tell you.

      Despite the limitations, I've found having the capability to be useful.
      Also, for more pedestrian use where losslessness is not imperative,
      unicode can be converted to normal ANSI and edited normally in NoteTab.
      But for obvious reasons when you need a unicode editor you should use one.

      Regards,
      Sheri
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4 1:35 PM
        John wrote:
        >For example - if I paste the following from anotehr site:
        >
        >"We were never happy with the production. Perhaps we should have
        >taken more time over the record. But now we've got the chance to
        >improve things. There will be no re-recording, just a remix".
        >
        >It will appear in Notetab as:
        >
        >?We were never happy with the production. Perhaps we should have
        >taken more time over the record. But now we?ve got the chance to
        >improve things. There will be no re-recording, just a remix?.

        Do you copy the text from a page displayed in a browser or from the
        source? In either case is the source document on the web and can you
        link to it? I tried to google it up, but that quote is used on
        hundreds of sites, it seems.