Re: [NH] Question about special characters being replaced with '?' in HTML documents

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
      John Shotsky wrote:
      > But my suspicion is that it really is a Unicode problem.
      > NoteTab is very unreliable when working with Unicode.

      I agree, after all Unicode is a kind of character set. I tend to use the
      primitive notepad for pasting and saving from websites and only paste
      short snippets directly. In the latter case wrong characters are obvious
      and quickly dealt with. (And many html pages are pasted into in the
      first place and have broken characters right there, so there's no way
      manual rework can be eliminated entirely.)

      Axel
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
        On 2/4/2011 4:02 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
        > John Shotsky wrote:
        >> But my suspicion is that it really is a Unicode problem.
        >> NoteTab is very unreliable when working with Unicode.
        > I agree, after all Unicode is a kind of character set. I tend to use the
        > primitive notepad for pasting and saving from websites and only paste
        > short snippets directly. In the latter case wrong characters are obvious
        > and quickly dealt with. (And many html pages are pasted into in the
        > first place and have broken characters right there, so there's no way
        > manual rework can be eliminated entirely.)
        >
        > Axel

        NoteTab is an ANSI editor, not a Unicode one. Since version 6, it
        supports raw utf-8 as a way of preserving unicode. NoteTab allows you to
        use the Microsoft "ansi" table for utf-8. If you use raw utf-8, upper
        characters will always appear as multiple bytes (goobledy gook) in
        NoteTab regardless of the font chosen. Raw utf-8 is the only choice if
        you want to edit unicode (Basic Multilinqual Plane only) completely
        losslessly in NoteTab. When used for that purpose, it is more like a
        data editor than a text editor. It is possible to use NoteTab to
        reliably modify "unicode" that will be viewed outside of NoteTab, or to
        carry out custom character conversions to "normal" ANSI formats.Utf-8
        regex is the only tool provided.

        All of this operates reliably, but easily goes awry when the user makes
        a mistake. I think (and have previously reported) that better error
        reporting could be implemented. For example, if you tell the PCRE regex
        engine you are testing utf-8 and it sees text that is not utf-8 (e.g.,
        because you've already made erroneous changes) it raises an error which
        NoteTab doesn't tell you.

        Despite the limitations, I've found having the capability to be useful.
        Also, for more pedestrian use where losslessness is not imperative,
        unicode can be converted to normal ANSI and edited normally in NoteTab.
        But for obvious reasons when you need a unicode editor you should use one.

        Regards,
        Sheri
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
          John wrote:
          >For example - if I paste the following from anotehr site:
          >
          >"We were never happy with the production. Perhaps we should have
          >taken more time over the record. But now we've got the chance to
          >improve things. There will be no re-recording, just a remix".
          >
          >It will appear in Notetab as:
          >
          >?We were never happy with the production. Perhaps we should have
          >taken more time over the record. But now we?ve got the chance to
          >improve things. There will be no re-recording, just a remix?.

          Do you copy the text from a page displayed in a browser or from the
          source? In either case is the source document on the web and can you
          link to it? I tried to google it up, but that quote is used on
          hundreds of sites, it seems.