RE: [NH] Question about special characters being replaced with '?' in HTML documents

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2011
      Yes, of course it could be a character set problem - I never said it couldn't be. But my suspicion is that it really is
      a Unicode problem. NoteTab is very unreliable when working with Unicode. I can tell, if I have access to one of the
      original files, not saved by NoteTab. Once saved, the question marks are saved in place of the characters in question.

      Regards,
      John
      Recipe formatting tools: <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/> http://recipetools.gotdns.com
      RecipeTools FTP Site: <ftp://recipetoolsftp.gotdns.com/> ftp://recipetoolsftp.gotdns.com
      Beaverton Weather: <http://shotsky.gotdns.com/> http://shotsky.gotdns.com

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2011
        I have had similar problems in fact. I emailed about it not long ago.
        I think I found relief by switching to a different font if I remember
        correctly.

        On 2/4/2011 12:23 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
        > Yes, of course it could be a character set problem - I never said it couldn't be. But my suspicion is that it really is
        > a Unicode problem. NoteTab is very unreliable when working with Unicode. I can tell, if I have access to one of the
        > original files, not saved by NoteTab. Once saved, the question marks are saved in place of the characters in question.

      • John Shotsky

          I have had similar problems in fact. I emailed about it not long ago.
          I think I found relief by switching to a different font if I remember
          correctly.

          On 2/4/2011 12:23 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
          > Yes, of course it could be a character set problem - I never said it couldn't be. But my suspicion is that it really
          is
          > a Unicode problem. NoteTab is very unreliable when working with Unicode. I can tell, if I have access to one of the
          > original files, not saved by NoteTab. Once saved, the question marks are saved in place of the characters in question.

        • Don
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2011
            or do they? double quotes aren't always double quotes, they are smart
            quotes and so forth which was where I was having troubles

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
              John Shotsky wrote:
              > But my suspicion is that it really is a Unicode problem.
              > NoteTab is very unreliable when working with Unicode.

              I agree, after all Unicode is a kind of character set. I tend to use the
              primitive notepad for pasting and saving from websites and only paste
              short snippets directly. In the latter case wrong characters are obvious
              and quickly dealt with. (And many html pages are pasted into in the
              first place and have broken characters right there, so there's no way
              manual rework can be eliminated entirely.)

              Axel
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
                On 2/4/2011 4:02 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
                > John Shotsky wrote:
                >> But my suspicion is that it really is a Unicode problem.
                >> NoteTab is very unreliable when working with Unicode.
                > I agree, after all Unicode is a kind of character set. I tend to use the
                > primitive notepad for pasting and saving from websites and only paste
                > short snippets directly. In the latter case wrong characters are obvious
                > and quickly dealt with. (And many html pages are pasted into in the
                > first place and have broken characters right there, so there's no way
                > manual rework can be eliminated entirely.)
                >
                > Axel

                NoteTab is an ANSI editor, not a Unicode one. Since version 6, it
                supports raw utf-8 as a way of preserving unicode. NoteTab allows you to
                use the Microsoft "ansi" table for utf-8. If you use raw utf-8, upper
                characters will always appear as multiple bytes (goobledy gook) in
                NoteTab regardless of the font chosen. Raw utf-8 is the only choice if
                you want to edit unicode (Basic Multilinqual Plane only) completely
                losslessly in NoteTab. When used for that purpose, it is more like a
                data editor than a text editor. It is possible to use NoteTab to
                reliably modify "unicode" that will be viewed outside of NoteTab, or to
                carry out custom character conversions to "normal" ANSI formats.Utf-8
                regex is the only tool provided.

                All of this operates reliably, but easily goes awry when the user makes
                a mistake. I think (and have previously reported) that better error
                reporting could be implemented. For example, if you tell the PCRE regex
                engine you are testing utf-8 and it sees text that is not utf-8 (e.g.,
                because you've already made erroneous changes) it raises an error which
                NoteTab doesn't tell you.

                Despite the limitations, I've found having the capability to be useful.
                Also, for more pedestrian use where losslessness is not imperative,
                unicode can be converted to normal ANSI and edited normally in NoteTab.
                But for obvious reasons when you need a unicode editor you should use one.

                Regards,
                Sheri
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
                  John wrote:
                  >For example - if I paste the following from anotehr site:
                  >
                  >"We were never happy with the production. Perhaps we should have
                  >taken more time over the record. But now we've got the chance to
                  >improve things. There will be no re-recording, just a remix".
                  >
                  >It will appear in Notetab as:
                  >
                  >?We were never happy with the production. Perhaps we should have
                  >taken more time over the record. But now we?ve got the chance to
                  >improve things. There will be no re-recording, just a remix?.

                  Do you copy the text from a page displayed in a browser or from the
                  source? In either case is the source document on the web and can you
                  link to it? I tried to google it up, but that quote is used on
                  hundreds of sites, it seems.