Re: [NH] Editing web pages online

  • jeff
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 19, 2010
      Generally there is no edit in place solution. I FTP the website to my
      computer edit, then FTP back. (Not using the FTP process in Notetab)

      Jeff

      --

      Jeffery Scism, IBSSG

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 19, 2010
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > Looks like there is no idiot proof, no brainer way to do this

        Promising just that has made quite a few people in different areas of
        enterprise very rich. In my experience things only look easier but in
        reality become quite a bit more complicated. There is a reason why I
        prefer TeX to Office, directly editing the registry to vainly searching
        ever deeper layers of menues, and NoteTab to all that wysiwyg stuff. The
        reason is, as my daughter would tell you, that I'm nuts, but then she
        insists on heaping insult on injury by coming to me of all people for
        advice about things I do not use, because I find them to complicated for
        me.

        That's life
        Axel
      • Scott Fordin
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 19, 2010
          There are, in fact, several text editors that make it possible to directly edit files over an FTP connection. That said, because this is a NoteTab list, it is in bad taste (and against list guidelines) to recommend products that compete in the same space as NoteTab.

          Moreover, as previously stated, unless you're using a proper CMS, like Drupal, you're playing with fire if you regularly edit files directly on a website rather than following version control and data backup best practices. But that's just me: a geezer who's arguably OCD when it comes to backing up my work.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 19, 2010
            Scott Fordin wrote:
            > it is in bad taste (and against list guidelines) to recommend
            > products that compete in the same space as NoteTab.

            In a strict sense you're right of course. On the other hand it is just
            because we here use powerful tools that we need advice about that GUI
            junk. I think cooperation with others, who refuse to use an editor and
            insist on junk software, is a need more than a few of us will come up
            against from time time. Then it is in our interest, that these coworkers
            won't do too much damage to our clean pages.

            > you're playing with fire if you regularly edit files directly
            > on a website rather than following version control and data
            > backup best practices.

            Unless I'm mistaken Mike probably does the same as I do: Edit all pages
            locally with backups and then mirror the local folder to the remote
            site. If so, all the damage some other editor can do, is ruin and
            destroy all his own work, but all Mike's will still sit there,
            untouched, on his owen drive, ready to be reuploaded when warranted.
            If you don't do it this way, Mike, then I agree with Scott and suggest
            you ought to.