Re: [NH] CSS question

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > why there is a font difference

      Haven't found the time to look yet, sorry. Just a shot into the blue,
      that has thrown me before: The more specific declaration beats the more
      general one. Thus if you have:

      DIV.foo P{color: green;}
      P.bar{color: red}

      <DIV CLASS="foo"><P CLASS="bar">
      This text will be green although you expect red.
      </DIV></P>

      Took me ages to find the first time it happened to me. (Two elements are
      more specific than one.)

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
        Lotta wrote:
        >Mike wrote:
        > >Greetings,
        > >
        > >Can anyone see why there is a font difference between the blockquote and
        > >
        > >HTML: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/d12/
        > >CSS: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/php-nav-index_style_0marg_img.css
        >
        >Uh-huh... Lot's of stuff to read there... To know which of them looks
        >right would help. So would valid HTML and CSS. You have a parse error
        >in the CSS. It's too far down in the style sheet to have anything to
        >do with this, but it may cause other problems.

        According to Safari's inspector the font size for the para in the
        blockquote is 100%. The '#anchor blockquote p' rule is never read.

        That's all a Saturday night. ;-)

        Lotta
      • Margaret Peloquin
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
          Just a guess here, but in your css line ..
          quote
          {font: 95%/1.3 'Times New Roman',Times,serif;margin: 0px; color: #804000;}
          . you are applying what I assume is a line height and a font family.

          In your blockquote line ..
          #anchor blockquote p {color: #804000;font-size: 95%; margin: 0 20%;}
          . you are not applying the same parameters.

          --
          === Margaret Peloquin, Head Librarian Eastview ===
          === Austin Community College, Austin, Texas ===
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
            loro wrote:
            > Mike wrote:
            >> Greetings,>>
            >> Can anyone see why there is a font difference between the blockquote and
            >>
            >> HTML: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/d12/
            >> CSS: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/php-nav-index_style_0marg_img.css
            >
            > Uh-huh... Lot's of stuff to read there... To know which of them looks
            > right would help. So would valid HTML and CSS. You have a parse error
            > in the CSS. It's too far down in the style sheet to have anything to
            > do with this, but it may cause other problems.

            Down to one CSS error:
            http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2010%2Fca%2Fd7%2F
            #intro p {margin: 0 25%;}
            What is wrong with it?
            -mb

            > Lotta

            Morgantown WV

            www.EpicRoadTrips.us
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
              loro wrote:
              > Lotta wrote:
              >> Mike wrote:
              >>> Greetings,
              >>>
              >>> Can anyone see why there is a font difference between the blockquote and
              >>>
              >>> HTML: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/d12/
              >>> CSS: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/php-nav-index_style_0marg_img.css
              >> Uh-huh... Lot's of stuff to read there... To know which of them looks
              >> right would help. So would valid HTML and CSS.

              HTML validation report:
              http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2010%2Fca%2Fd7%2F
              Line 101, Column 143: an attribute value literal can occur in an
              attribute specification list only after a VI delimiter
              The <..Creek and "Catching" a local dinner"> I do not know how to fix.

              Error Line 165, Column 9: ID "currentpage" already defined
              This is from the PHP menu includes. I have never figgered out how to
              correct this.

              >>You have a parse error
              >> in the CSS. It's too far down in the style sheet to have anything to
              >> do with this, but it may cause other problems.
              >
              > According to Safari's inspector the font size for the para in the
              > blockquote is 100%. The '#anchor blockquote p' rule is never read.

              Why??
              Thanks,
              -Mike

              > That's all a Saturday night. ;-)
              >
              > Lotta

              Morgantown WV

              www.EpicRoadTrips.us
            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                Margaret Peloquin wrote:
                > Just a guess here, but in your css line ..
                > quote
                > {font: 95%/1.3 'Times New Roman',Times,serif;margin: 0px; color: #804000;}
                > . you are applying what I assume is a line height and a font family.
                >
                > In your blockquote line ..
                > #anchor blockquote p {color: #804000;font-size: 95%; margin: 0 20%;}
                > . you are not applying the same parameters.

                Yes! I changed it, but to no effect.
                I think Loro has found the problem:

                > According to Safari's inspector the font size for the para in the
                > blockquote is 100%. The '#anchor blockquote p' rule is never read.

                I guess the question is why and how to fix it.
                As usual, I am clueless...
                Thanks,
                -Mike

                --

                Morgantown WV

                www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                  Mike wrote:
                  >Down to one CSS error:
                  >http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2010%2Fca%2Fd7%2F
                  >#intro p {margin: 0 25%;}
                  >What is wrong with it?

                  Nothing. But the CSS checker says:
                  128 * Parse Error */ #intro p {margin: 0 25%;}

                  Look at the beginning of the quoted line. You have half a comment a
                  bit up, after the last } before this rule. Since whitespace doesn't
                  count for more than a single space the selector becomes "*/ #intro p".

                  Lotta
                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                    loro wrote:
                    > Mike wrote:
                    >> Down to one CSS error:
                    >> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2010%2Fca%2Fd7%2F
                    >> #intro p {margin: 0 25%;}
                    >> What is wrong with it?
                    >
                    > Nothing. But the CSS checker says:
                    > 128 * Parse Error */ #intro p {margin: 0 25%;}
                    >
                    > Look at the beginning of the quoted line. You have half a comment a
                    > bit up, after the last } before this rule. Since whitespace doesn't
                    > count for more than a single space the selector becomes "*/ #intro p".

                    Got it!
                    No errors now.
                    Thanks,
                    -mb