CSS question

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
      Greetings,

      Can anyone see why there is a font difference between the blockquote and

      HTML: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/d12/
      CSS: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/php-nav-index_style_0marg_img.css

      as coast redwood, the park's 1,829 acres also contain other evergreens,
      chaparral, and grasslands. Wildlife within the park includes rare
      species such as the golden eagle and Alameda striped racer snake. Deer,
      raccoons, rabbits, and squirrels are often seen.</p>

      history. The world-famous rainbow trout were first identified as a
      distinct species from specimens caught in San Leandro Creek, of which
      Redwood Creek is a tributary. </p>
      title='title'>WikiPedia</a></p>

      forest of 150-foot coast redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) has replaced
      those cut down.</p>

      --

      Morgantown WV

      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
        Mike wrote:
        >Greetings,
        >
        >Can anyone see why there is a font difference between the blockquote and
        >
        >HTML: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/d12/
        >CSS: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/php-nav-index_style_0marg_img.css

        Uh-huh... Lot's of stuff to read there... To know which of them looks
        right would help. So would valid HTML and CSS. You have a parse error
        in the CSS. It's too far down in the style sheet to have anything to
        do with this, but it may cause other problems.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > why there is a font difference

          Haven't found the time to look yet, sorry. Just a shot into the blue,
          that has thrown me before: The more specific declaration beats the more
          general one. Thus if you have:

          DIV.foo P{color: green;}
          P.bar{color: red}

          <DIV CLASS="foo"><P CLASS="bar">
          This text will be green although you expect red.
          </DIV></P>

          Took me ages to find the first time it happened to me. (Two elements are
          more specific than one.)

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
            Lotta wrote:
            >Mike wrote:
            > >Greetings,
            > >
            > >Can anyone see why there is a font difference between the blockquote and
            > >
            > >HTML: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/d12/
            > >CSS: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/php-nav-index_style_0marg_img.css
            >
            >Uh-huh... Lot's of stuff to read there... To know which of them looks
            >right would help. So would valid HTML and CSS. You have a parse error
            >in the CSS. It's too far down in the style sheet to have anything to
            >do with this, but it may cause other problems.

            According to Safari's inspector the font size for the para in the
            blockquote is 100%. The '#anchor blockquote p' rule is never read.

            That's all a Saturday night. ;-)

            Lotta
          • Margaret Peloquin
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
              Just a guess here, but in your css line ..
              quote
              {font: 95%/1.3 'Times New Roman',Times,serif;margin: 0px; color: #804000;}
              . you are applying what I assume is a line height and a font family.

              In your blockquote line ..
              #anchor blockquote p {color: #804000;font-size: 95%; margin: 0 20%;}
              . you are not applying the same parameters.

              --
              === Margaret Peloquin, Head Librarian Eastview ===
              === Austin Community College, Austin, Texas ===
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                loro wrote:
                > Mike wrote:
                >> Greetings,>>
                >> Can anyone see why there is a font difference between the blockquote and
                >>
                >> HTML: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/d12/
                >> CSS: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/php-nav-index_style_0marg_img.css
                >
                > Uh-huh... Lot's of stuff to read there... To know which of them looks
                > right would help. So would valid HTML and CSS. You have a parse error
                > in the CSS. It's too far down in the style sheet to have anything to
                > do with this, but it may cause other problems.

                Down to one CSS error:
                http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2010%2Fca%2Fd7%2F
                #intro p {margin: 0 25%;}
                What is wrong with it?
                -mb

                > Lotta

                Morgantown WV

                www.EpicRoadTrips.us
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                  loro wrote:
                  > Lotta wrote:
                  >> Mike wrote:
                  >>> Greetings,
                  >>>
                  >>> Can anyone see why there is a font difference between the blockquote and
                  >>>
                  >>> HTML: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/d12/
                  >>> CSS: http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/ca/php-nav-index_style_0marg_img.css
                  >> Uh-huh... Lot's of stuff to read there... To know which of them looks
                  >> right would help. So would valid HTML and CSS.

                  HTML validation report:
                  http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2010%2Fca%2Fd7%2F
                  Line 101, Column 143: an attribute value literal can occur in an
                  attribute specification list only after a VI delimiter
                  The <..Creek and "Catching" a local dinner"> I do not know how to fix.

                  Error Line 165, Column 9: ID "currentpage" already defined
                  This is from the PHP menu includes. I have never figgered out how to
                  correct this.

                  >>You have a parse error
                  >> in the CSS. It's too far down in the style sheet to have anything to
                  >> do with this, but it may cause other problems.
                  >
                  > According to Safari's inspector the font size for the para in the
                  > blockquote is 100%. The '#anchor blockquote p' rule is never read.

                  Why??
                  Thanks,
                  -Mike

                  > That's all a Saturday night. ;-)
                  >
                  > Lotta

                  Morgantown WV

                  www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                    Margaret Peloquin wrote:
                    > Just a guess here, but in your css line ..
                    > quote
                    > {font: 95%/1.3 'Times New Roman',Times,serif;margin: 0px; color: #804000;}
                    > . you are applying what I assume is a line height and a font family.
                    >
                    > In your blockquote line ..
                    > #anchor blockquote p {color: #804000;font-size: 95%; margin: 0 20%;}
                    > . you are not applying the same parameters.

                    Yes! I changed it, but to no effect.
                    I think Loro has found the problem:

                    > According to Safari's inspector the font size for the para in the
                    > blockquote is 100%. The '#anchor blockquote p' rule is never read.

                    I guess the question is why and how to fix it.
                    As usual, I am clueless...
                    Thanks,
                    -Mike

                    --

                    Morgantown WV

                    www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                      Mike wrote:
                      >Down to one CSS error:
                      >http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2010%2Fca%2Fd7%2F
                      >#intro p {margin: 0 25%;}
                      >What is wrong with it?

                      Nothing. But the CSS checker says:
                      128 * Parse Error */ #intro p {margin: 0 25%;}

                      Look at the beginning of the quoted line. You have half a comment a
                      bit up, after the last } before this rule. Since whitespace doesn't
                      count for more than a single space the selector becomes "*/ #intro p".

                      Lotta
                    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                        loro wrote:
                        > Mike wrote:
                        >> Down to one CSS error:
                        >> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2010%2Fca%2Fd7%2F
                        >> #intro p {margin: 0 25%;}
                        >> What is wrong with it?
                        >
                        > Nothing. But the CSS checker says:
                        > 128 * Parse Error */ #intro p {margin: 0 25%;}
                        >
                        > Look at the beginning of the quoted line. You have half a comment a
                        > bit up, after the last } before this rule. Since whitespace doesn't
                        > count for more than a single space the selector becomes "*/ #intro p".

                        Got it!
                        No errors now.
                        Thanks,
                        -mb