Re: [NH] NoteTab Pro and TopStyle

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 19, 2010
      Hi
      could I ask something
      with linux you must use wine to get notetab to run plus top style .
      or
      with linux you install virtual box then install XP then notetab to run plus
      top style .
      what the point of XP and wine to get notetab then top style
      would it make more sense install virtual box then linux and then wine and
      then notetab ??
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 19, 2010
        Dave,

        I started the ntb-Linux group to help people figure out how to run NoteTab
        on Linux or other OSes and environments. There were always sporadic
        questions on how to run NoteTab on Linux, so I made a list of all the posts
        that I had answered over the years, and started the ntb-Linux list 3 years
        ago tomorrow. Now, we just point people to that list instead of trying to
        figure out what other NoteTab list to use.

        We also help figure out issues with other Fookes products, like MailBag
        Assistant, etc.

        I was just trying to figure out something for a new member on that list.

        I install Wine on Linux, then I run NoteTab. The benefit of this is that is
        uses less resources, and I do not have to start Wine, like I would have to
        start a virtual environment, log into Windows, then start NoteTab. With
        Wine, I just start NoteTab, like I would in Windows. Windows is a faster to
        boot in this virtual environment. It is also more secure, since if it does
        get a virus, I can just delete the image and restore from a known good
        backup.

        Since TopStyle is supposed to talk with NoteTab and is used for checking
        HTML, I figured those on the ntb-HTML list might know something about it,
        which they did.

        Not being a TopStyle user, I did not install it right away in Wine, but
        instead I have VirtualBox OSE in which I have WinXP installed. I wanted to
        make sure that I could get it to work in WinXP, since Wine emulates WinXP. I
        have WinXP available to me in Linux via Virtual Box, so that I do not have
        to re-boot to check things in a Windows environment.

        I confirmed on my virtual WinXP that NoteTab 6.2 and TopStyle 4x no longer
        communicate like they once did. At the suggestion of another, I installed
        the lite version of TopStyle 3, and it works. I then installed that old
        version of TopStyle on Wine and it also works.

        While I was at it, I went to the list of Third Party applications in
        NoteTab's Help and downloaded all of them to try them in Wine, and TopStyle
        4x is the only one that ran in Wine, but did not communicate with NoteTab as
        did previous versions. Some of them had issues, which I documented on the
        ntb-linux list.

        I dual boot Linux and Windows 7. I am in Linux most of the time. Windows
        came with my new PC. I am stuck with Windows XP at work, and the PC had
        Vista with a free upgrade to Windows 7. This gave me a chance to play with
        two versions of Windows I only encounter when I have to remote in to help
        clients. I have a few programs that work better in Windows than Linux, but
        as Wine gets better, I need Windows less and less.

        ~ Larry

      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 19, 2010
          Interviewed by CNN on 19/9/2010 09:45, Dave told the world:
          > Hi
          > could I ask something
          > with linux you must use wine to get notetab to run plus top style .
          > or
          > with linux you install virtual box then install XP then notetab to run plus
          > top style .
          > what the point of XP and wine to get notetab then top style
          > would it make more sense install virtual box then linux and then wine and
          > then notetab ??

          I'm trying to determine if you are serious or just joking, but...

          Both NoteTab and TopStyle are Windows applications. They need Windows,
          or at least some reasonable facsimile, to run.

          Linux by itself is not a "reasonable facsimile." So, if you are running
          Linux (or BSD, or a Mac, for that matter) you need to add some sort of
          Windows layer between Linux and the Notetab/TopStyle.

          There are two main ways to do that:

          First way is to install an emulator like VirtualBox and run a virtual
          machine with a full copy of Windows inside it. This is guaranteed to run
          all, or at least very very nearly all, Windows applications without
          compatibility problems: you DO have a full Windows installation, of course.
          There are some problems with that approach:
          - It's resource intensive (lots of CPU, RAM and hard disk space)
          - You still need a Windows license
          - The applications "inside" the Windows virtual machine don't
          communicate well with the ones "outside." In fact, most of the time,
          it's like they are in an entirely different machine.
          - It kinda goes against the whole point of running Linux: you are still
          running Windows at the end of the day.

          The other way is to use a "compatibility layer" like Wine. Basically,
          Wine deceives the programs into "thinking" they are running on Windows
          when they are actually running in Linux. It's not nearly as resource
          intensive, and the programs communicate better with the Windows
          environment. Best of all, it's free (both free-as-in-beer and
          free-as-in-speech) and does not need you to purchase a Windows license
          in most cases.

          However, Wine is not without its limitations too. Some applications need
          lots of tweaks to run acceptably. Some just don't run in Wine, due to
          using weird Windows "tricks" that aren't documented and are difficult to
          duplicate.

          So... I don't see the point of "installing Virtualbox, then Linux, then
          Wine, then Notetab." If you are running Linux in the first place, you
          don't have to install Virtualbox to run a SECOND instance of Linux. And
          if you are running Windows, you don't need Virtualbox, Linux OR Wine.

          --
          MCBastos

          use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

          -=-=-
          ... Only a wimpy God can't get it right the first time!