Re: [NH] NoteTab Pro and TopStyle

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 18, 2010
      Yes, I have this version on a backup somewhere.

      I downloaded from this site and scanned and it appears to be free of
      viruses, etc.

      I installed it and it works correctly with NoteTab on Wine. I did have some
      access violations, but did not go into in-depth testing, beyond confirming
      that it works.

      Thanks for this Alec.

      ~Larry

      On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

      > Larry (and others -cc ntb-linux )
      > Someone else commented that integration worked up to version 3.x of
      > TopStyle.
      > Googling [old version topstyle] One of the top results is:
      >

      > Download *Topstyle* Lite (Free) -
      > FilePig<http://filepig.org/download/topstyle_lite/>
      > <http://filepig.org/download/topstyle_lite/>Latest Version *TopStyle* Lite
      > 3.5. *Older Versions* *...* *TopStyle* contains powerful tools for building
      > standards-compliant web sites -
      > http://filepig.org/download/topstyle_lite/
      >

      > I didn't complete the download but the links to it appear to work. Might be
      > worth a try - not sure whether TopStyle Light with whatever its
      > restrictions
      > will satisfy OP's requirements?
      >
      > Regards ... Alec

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 19, 2010
        Hi
        could I ask something
        with linux you must use wine to get notetab to run plus top style .
        or
        with linux you install virtual box then install XP then notetab to run plus
        top style .
        what the point of XP and wine to get notetab then top style
        would it make more sense install virtual box then linux and then wine and
        then notetab ??
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 19, 2010
          Dave,

          I started the ntb-Linux group to help people figure out how to run NoteTab
          on Linux or other OSes and environments. There were always sporadic
          questions on how to run NoteTab on Linux, so I made a list of all the posts
          that I had answered over the years, and started the ntb-Linux list 3 years
          ago tomorrow. Now, we just point people to that list instead of trying to
          figure out what other NoteTab list to use.

          We also help figure out issues with other Fookes products, like MailBag
          Assistant, etc.

          I was just trying to figure out something for a new member on that list.

          I install Wine on Linux, then I run NoteTab. The benefit of this is that is
          uses less resources, and I do not have to start Wine, like I would have to
          start a virtual environment, log into Windows, then start NoteTab. With
          Wine, I just start NoteTab, like I would in Windows. Windows is a faster to
          boot in this virtual environment. It is also more secure, since if it does
          get a virus, I can just delete the image and restore from a known good
          backup.

          Since TopStyle is supposed to talk with NoteTab and is used for checking
          HTML, I figured those on the ntb-HTML list might know something about it,
          which they did.

          Not being a TopStyle user, I did not install it right away in Wine, but
          instead I have VirtualBox OSE in which I have WinXP installed. I wanted to
          make sure that I could get it to work in WinXP, since Wine emulates WinXP. I
          have WinXP available to me in Linux via Virtual Box, so that I do not have
          to re-boot to check things in a Windows environment.

          I confirmed on my virtual WinXP that NoteTab 6.2 and TopStyle 4x no longer
          communicate like they once did. At the suggestion of another, I installed
          the lite version of TopStyle 3, and it works. I then installed that old
          version of TopStyle on Wine and it also works.

          While I was at it, I went to the list of Third Party applications in
          NoteTab's Help and downloaded all of them to try them in Wine, and TopStyle
          4x is the only one that ran in Wine, but did not communicate with NoteTab as
          did previous versions. Some of them had issues, which I documented on the
          ntb-linux list.

          I dual boot Linux and Windows 7. I am in Linux most of the time. Windows
          came with my new PC. I am stuck with Windows XP at work, and the PC had
          Vista with a free upgrade to Windows 7. This gave me a chance to play with
          two versions of Windows I only encounter when I have to remote in to help
          clients. I have a few programs that work better in Windows than Linux, but
          as Wine gets better, I need Windows less and less.

          ~ Larry

        • Marcelo Bastos
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 19, 2010
            Interviewed by CNN on 19/9/2010 09:45, Dave told the world:
            > Hi
            > could I ask something
            > with linux you must use wine to get notetab to run plus top style .
            > or
            > with linux you install virtual box then install XP then notetab to run plus
            > top style .
            > what the point of XP and wine to get notetab then top style
            > would it make more sense install virtual box then linux and then wine and
            > then notetab ??

            I'm trying to determine if you are serious or just joking, but...

            Both NoteTab and TopStyle are Windows applications. They need Windows,
            or at least some reasonable facsimile, to run.

            Linux by itself is not a "reasonable facsimile." So, if you are running
            Linux (or BSD, or a Mac, for that matter) you need to add some sort of
            Windows layer between Linux and the Notetab/TopStyle.

            There are two main ways to do that:

            First way is to install an emulator like VirtualBox and run a virtual
            machine with a full copy of Windows inside it. This is guaranteed to run
            all, or at least very very nearly all, Windows applications without
            compatibility problems: you DO have a full Windows installation, of course.
            There are some problems with that approach:
            - It's resource intensive (lots of CPU, RAM and hard disk space)
            - You still need a Windows license
            - The applications "inside" the Windows virtual machine don't
            communicate well with the ones "outside." In fact, most of the time,
            it's like they are in an entirely different machine.
            - It kinda goes against the whole point of running Linux: you are still
            running Windows at the end of the day.

            The other way is to use a "compatibility layer" like Wine. Basically,
            Wine deceives the programs into "thinking" they are running on Windows
            when they are actually running in Linux. It's not nearly as resource
            intensive, and the programs communicate better with the Windows
            environment. Best of all, it's free (both free-as-in-beer and
            free-as-in-speech) and does not need you to purchase a Windows license
            in most cases.

            However, Wine is not without its limitations too. Some applications need
            lots of tweaks to run acceptably. Some just don't run in Wine, due to
            using weird Windows "tricks" that aren't documented and are difficult to
            duplicate.

            So... I don't see the point of "installing Virtualbox, then Linux, then
            Wine, then Notetab." If you are running Linux in the first place, you
            don't have to install Virtualbox to run a SECOND instance of Linux. And
            if you are running Windows, you don't need Virtualbox, Linux OR Wine.

            --
            MCBastos

            use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

            -=-=-
            ... Only a wimpy God can't get it right the first time!