Re: [NH] NoteTab Pro and TopStyle

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 18, 2010
      Larry (and others -cc ntb-linux )
      Someone else commented that integration worked up to version 3.x of
      TopStyle.
      Googling [old version topstyle] One of the top results is:

      Download *Topstyle* Lite (Free) -
      FilePig<http://filepig.org/download/topstyle_lite/>
      <http://filepig.org/download/topstyle_lite/>Latest Version *TopStyle* Lite
      3.5. *Older Versions* *...* *TopStyle* contains powerful tools for building
      standards-compliant web sites -
      http://filepig.org/download/topstyle_lite/

      I didn't complete the download but the links to it appear to work. Might be
      worth a try - not sure whether TopStyle Light with whatever its restrictions
      will satisfy OP's requirements?

      Regards ... Alec
      --

      On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 16:44, Lawrence <lmh@...> wrote:

      > Is anyone using TopStyle with NoteTab? NoteTab is supposed to work with
      > TopStyle.
      >
      > I am trying to help someone on the ntb-Linux list figure out the problems
      > with integration between NoteTab Pro and TopStyle using Wine.
      >
      > I am waiting to see what version of TopStyle he has.
      >
      > I downloaded the trial version of TopStyle 4 and it does not appear to have
      > the integration features implemented so that NoteTab will talk to it. I
      > tried this out using WinXP in VirtualBox. NOTE: I am using the trial version
      > of NoteTab in this environment, as I have not configured it to see the
      > location of my downloads & setup files to install the full version of
      > NoteTab. This might also be part of the problem. I will be rectifying that
      > shortly.
      >
      > I went with WinXP, since Wine runs like WinXP by default. If I can't get it
      > to work on WinXP, then I know it won't work using Wine.
      >
      > Unfortunately, TopStyle is $80, so if it requires the full version, then I
      > won't be able to help beyond suggestions.
      >
      > I know that TopStyle was sold to a new company a year or so ago, so perhaps
      > the new company is no longer supporting the way NoteTab communicates with
      > it. I see no mention of NoteTab on their website or in the help file.
      >
      > The only thing I can suggest right now is to configure the Custom Launch
      > option, but that if very limited, compared to the integration and TopStyle
      > specific Clip commands and the Top Style toolbar included with NoteTab.

    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 18, 2010
        Yes, I have this version on a backup somewhere.

        I downloaded from this site and scanned and it appears to be free of
        viruses, etc.

        I installed it and it works correctly with NoteTab on Wine. I did have some
        access violations, but did not go into in-depth testing, beyond confirming
        that it works.

        Thanks for this Alec.

        ~Larry

        On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

        > Larry (and others -cc ntb-linux )
        > Someone else commented that integration worked up to version 3.x of
        > TopStyle.
        > Googling [old version topstyle] One of the top results is:
        >

        > Download *Topstyle* Lite (Free) -
        > FilePig<http://filepig.org/download/topstyle_lite/>
        > <http://filepig.org/download/topstyle_lite/>Latest Version *TopStyle* Lite
        > 3.5. *Older Versions* *...* *TopStyle* contains powerful tools for building
        > standards-compliant web sites -
        > http://filepig.org/download/topstyle_lite/
        >

        > I didn't complete the download but the links to it appear to work. Might be
        > worth a try - not sure whether TopStyle Light with whatever its
        > restrictions
        > will satisfy OP's requirements?
        >
        > Regards ... Alec

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 19, 2010
          Hi
          could I ask something
          with linux you must use wine to get notetab to run plus top style .
          or
          with linux you install virtual box then install XP then notetab to run plus
          top style .
          what the point of XP and wine to get notetab then top style
          would it make more sense install virtual box then linux and then wine and
          then notetab ??
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > Is anyone using TopStyle with NoteTab? NoteTab is supposed to work with
          > TopStyle.
          >
          > I am trying to help someone on the ntb-Linux list figure out the problems
          > with integration between NoteTab Pro and TopStyle using Wine.
          >
          > I am waiting to see what version of TopStyle he has.
          >
          > I downloaded the trial version of TopStyle 4 and it does not appear to
          > have the integration features implemented so that NoteTab will talk to it.
          > I tried this out using WinXP in VirtualBox. NOTE: I am using the trial
          > version of NoteTab in this environment, as I have not configured it to see
          > the location of my downloads & setup files to install the full version of
          > NoteTab. This might also be part of the problem. I will be rectifying that
          > shortly.
          >
          > I went with WinXP, since Wine runs like WinXP by default. If I can't get
          > it to work on WinXP, then I know it won't work using Wine.
          >
          > Unfortunately, TopStyle is $80, so if it requires the full version, then I
          > won't be able to help beyond suggestions.
          >
          > I know that TopStyle was sold to a new company a year or so ago, so
          > perhaps the new company is no longer supporting the way NoteTab
          > communicates with it. I see no mention of NoteTab on their website or in
          > the help file.
          >
          > The only thing I can suggest right now is to configure the Custom Launch
          > option, but that if very limited, compared to the integration and TopStyle
          > specific Clip commands and the Top Style toolbar included with NoteTab.
          >
          > Eric - If you see this, can you give us any insight?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > ~ Larry

        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 19, 2010
            Dave,

            I started the ntb-Linux group to help people figure out how to run NoteTab
            on Linux or other OSes and environments. There were always sporadic
            questions on how to run NoteTab on Linux, so I made a list of all the posts
            that I had answered over the years, and started the ntb-Linux list 3 years
            ago tomorrow. Now, we just point people to that list instead of trying to
            figure out what other NoteTab list to use.

            We also help figure out issues with other Fookes products, like MailBag
            Assistant, etc.

            I was just trying to figure out something for a new member on that list.

            I install Wine on Linux, then I run NoteTab. The benefit of this is that is
            uses less resources, and I do not have to start Wine, like I would have to
            start a virtual environment, log into Windows, then start NoteTab. With
            Wine, I just start NoteTab, like I would in Windows. Windows is a faster to
            boot in this virtual environment. It is also more secure, since if it does
            get a virus, I can just delete the image and restore from a known good
            backup.

            Since TopStyle is supposed to talk with NoteTab and is used for checking
            HTML, I figured those on the ntb-HTML list might know something about it,
            which they did.

            Not being a TopStyle user, I did not install it right away in Wine, but
            instead I have VirtualBox OSE in which I have WinXP installed. I wanted to
            make sure that I could get it to work in WinXP, since Wine emulates WinXP. I
            have WinXP available to me in Linux via Virtual Box, so that I do not have
            to re-boot to check things in a Windows environment.

            I confirmed on my virtual WinXP that NoteTab 6.2 and TopStyle 4x no longer
            communicate like they once did. At the suggestion of another, I installed
            the lite version of TopStyle 3, and it works. I then installed that old
            version of TopStyle on Wine and it also works.

            While I was at it, I went to the list of Third Party applications in
            NoteTab's Help and downloaded all of them to try them in Wine, and TopStyle
            4x is the only one that ran in Wine, but did not communicate with NoteTab as
            did previous versions. Some of them had issues, which I documented on the
            ntb-linux list.

            I dual boot Linux and Windows 7. I am in Linux most of the time. Windows
            came with my new PC. I am stuck with Windows XP at work, and the PC had
            Vista with a free upgrade to Windows 7. This gave me a chance to play with
            two versions of Windows I only encounter when I have to remote in to help
            clients. I have a few programs that work better in Windows than Linux, but
            as Wine gets better, I need Windows less and less.

            ~ Larry

          • Marcelo Bastos
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 19, 2010
              Interviewed by CNN on 19/9/2010 09:45, Dave told the world:
              > Hi
              > could I ask something
              > with linux you must use wine to get notetab to run plus top style .
              > or
              > with linux you install virtual box then install XP then notetab to run plus
              > top style .
              > what the point of XP and wine to get notetab then top style
              > would it make more sense install virtual box then linux and then wine and
              > then notetab ??

              I'm trying to determine if you are serious or just joking, but...

              Both NoteTab and TopStyle are Windows applications. They need Windows,
              or at least some reasonable facsimile, to run.

              Linux by itself is not a "reasonable facsimile." So, if you are running
              Linux (or BSD, or a Mac, for that matter) you need to add some sort of
              Windows layer between Linux and the Notetab/TopStyle.

              There are two main ways to do that:

              First way is to install an emulator like VirtualBox and run a virtual
              machine with a full copy of Windows inside it. This is guaranteed to run
              all, or at least very very nearly all, Windows applications without
              compatibility problems: you DO have a full Windows installation, of course.
              There are some problems with that approach:
              - It's resource intensive (lots of CPU, RAM and hard disk space)
              - You still need a Windows license
              - The applications "inside" the Windows virtual machine don't
              communicate well with the ones "outside." In fact, most of the time,
              it's like they are in an entirely different machine.
              - It kinda goes against the whole point of running Linux: you are still
              running Windows at the end of the day.

              The other way is to use a "compatibility layer" like Wine. Basically,
              Wine deceives the programs into "thinking" they are running on Windows
              when they are actually running in Linux. It's not nearly as resource
              intensive, and the programs communicate better with the Windows
              environment. Best of all, it's free (both free-as-in-beer and
              free-as-in-speech) and does not need you to purchase a Windows license
              in most cases.

              However, Wine is not without its limitations too. Some applications need
              lots of tweaks to run acceptably. Some just don't run in Wine, due to
              using weird Windows "tricks" that aren't documented and are difficult to
              duplicate.

              So... I don't see the point of "installing Virtualbox, then Linux, then
              Wine, then Notetab." If you are running Linux in the first place, you
              don't have to install Virtualbox to run a SECOND instance of Linux. And
              if you are running Windows, you don't need Virtualbox, Linux OR Wine.

              --
              MCBastos

              use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

              -=-=-
              ... Only a wimpy God can't get it right the first time!