Re: [NH] A Tags INOP in MSIE, But OK in Firefox

  • Mick Housel
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
      The need for the special window, as I stated is due to the fact that's
      *what the client wants*.

      I won't make the assumption that anyone that visits websites know their
      browsers well enough to know all the simple "tricks" that we take for
      granted. Agreed, many of us know all the little things that can make
      things work as we want them, the normal "user" probably doesn't know many.

      One of the best pieces of advice I ever received, back many years ago
      when I started programming and well before I did any website
      design/maintenance was "Consider that the user is as intelligent as a
      rock and try to make it as difficult as possible for them to screw
      things up." To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
      anything other than point and click and there's more of those out there
      than you might realize.

      Mick

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
        Mick Housel wrote:
        > To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
        > anything other than point and click and there's more of those
        > out there than you might realize.

        That is exactly my point. and it leads directly to "Do not break the
        back button." This button is the inexperienced user's main help line and
        he relies on it the more, the less experienced he is. Without that the
        net loses a lot of its basic useability.

        I'll heed Lottas advice and make this my last post on that OT subject.
        (Should you want to pursue it in [NTO] I'll follow you there.

        Axel
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
          Hi Loro,

          On 08 Jun 10 19:16 loro <tabbie@...> said:
          > Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

          Good golly! Are you telling me that anyone creates frame-based sites
          these days. CSS can reproduce 99% of their functionality and the rest
          probably isn't worth worrying about. But...

          > None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
          > Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

          True enough! I was just expressing mine!

          Greg
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 9, 2010
            Hi Mick and All,

            In Intranet zone, the "Default level" button was not grayed out but not
            necessarily because of a custom setting. Merely by adjusting the slider to
            "Low" causes the "Default level" button to become active. When I pressed
            "Default level", the slider reverted to "Medium - Low". Pressing the button
            must have reset something else too because the A tag behavior became normal.

            I was also able to get rid of the warning message in a caution bar at the top
            of the page that says in part, "... Internet Explorer has restricted this
            webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls...". On the Advanced tab, I
            added a checkmark to "Allow active content to run in files in My Computer".

            I am finally able to navigate the locally mirrored version of my website using
            MSIE, then view source in NoteTab, then make edits, then launch MSIE using F8
            to see results of the revisions. No more inoperative A tags. No more warning
            messages. Life is sweet!

            Many thanks to all who helped.

            Ray Shapp