Re: [NH] A Tags INOP in MSIE, But OK in Firefox

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
      Greg Chapman wrote:
      >Tabbed browsers have been around for years, so don't we all routinely
      >wheel-click links to open them in a new tab, unless you are absolutely
      >certain you won't want to return?

      Nope. I use Ctrl+N to open a new window as I've always done. But most
      often i use the backbutton. ;-)

      >Use a STRICT doctype, where target= is invalid, and expect your
      >visitors to use their browser efficiently.

      Not a good idea, since Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

      None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
      Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

      Lotta
    • Mick Housel
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
        The need for the special window, as I stated is due to the fact that's
        *what the client wants*.

        I won't make the assumption that anyone that visits websites know their
        browsers well enough to know all the simple "tricks" that we take for
        granted. Agreed, many of us know all the little things that can make
        things work as we want them, the normal "user" probably doesn't know many.

        One of the best pieces of advice I ever received, back many years ago
        when I started programming and well before I did any website
        design/maintenance was "Consider that the user is as intelligent as a
        rock and try to make it as difficult as possible for them to screw
        things up." To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
        anything other than point and click and there's more of those out there
        than you might realize.

        Mick

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
          Mick Housel wrote:
          > To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
          > anything other than point and click and there's more of those
          > out there than you might realize.

          That is exactly my point. and it leads directly to "Do not break the
          back button." This button is the inexperienced user's main help line and
          he relies on it the more, the less experienced he is. Without that the
          net loses a lot of its basic useability.

          I'll heed Lottas advice and make this my last post on that OT subject.
          (Should you want to pursue it in [NTO] I'll follow you there.

          Axel
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
            Hi Loro,

            On 08 Jun 10 19:16 loro <tabbie@...> said:
            > Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

            Good golly! Are you telling me that anyone creates frame-based sites
            these days. CSS can reproduce 99% of their functionality and the rest
            probably isn't worth worrying about. But...

            > None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
            > Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

            True enough! I was just expressing mine!

            Greg
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 9, 2010
              Hi Mick and All,

              In Intranet zone, the "Default level" button was not grayed out but not
              necessarily because of a custom setting. Merely by adjusting the slider to
              "Low" causes the "Default level" button to become active. When I pressed
              "Default level", the slider reverted to "Medium - Low". Pressing the button
              must have reset something else too because the A tag behavior became normal.

              I was also able to get rid of the warning message in a caution bar at the top
              of the page that says in part, "... Internet Explorer has restricted this
              webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls...". On the Advanced tab, I
              added a checkmark to "Allow active content to run in files in My Computer".

              I am finally able to navigate the locally mirrored version of my website using
              MSIE, then view source in NoteTab, then make edits, then launch MSIE using F8
              to see results of the revisions. No more inoperative A tags. No more warning
              messages. Life is sweet!

              Many thanks to all who helped.

              Ray Shapp