Re: [NH] A Tags INOP in MSIE, But OK in Firefox

  • Mick Housel
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
      I disagree, there are times when using the target="_blank" is
      acceptable. As an example, I have a client that has numerous PDF files
      on their website. There is a link there so that folks can go download
      Adobe Reader, this link opens in another window as the client does not
      want his visitor to be taken away from his website while they download
      Adobe Reader. While the back button doesn't work in the new window to
      get back to the original page, it doesn't need to as the original window
      is still there. I wouldn't use target="_blank" to go somewhere in the
      same domain or on a regular basis when going to other domains but it has
      it's uses when going off-site for some things and is NOT necessarily
      impolite and inconsiderate, IMO.

      Mick

      <snip>

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
        Mick Housel wrote:
        > but it has it's uses

        Let's agree to differ here. Them main thing is, you and me seem to be in
        agreement about the basic rule and the general case and I can live with
        a few exceptions I myself would not make.

        Axel
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
          Hi Mick,

          On 08 Jun 10 18:07 Mick Housel <motomania@...> said:
          > There is a link there so that folks can go download Adobe Reader,
          > this link opens in another window as the client does not want his
          > visitor to be taken away from his website while they download Adobe
          > Reader.

          What's the need for the separate window?

          Tabbed browsers have been around for years, so don't we all routinely
          wheel-click links to open them in a new tab, unless you are absolutely
          certain you won't want to return?(You also avoid all that "need to
          resend data" rubbish caused by using a BACK button!)

          I can barely remember the last time I left-clicked a link.

          Use a STRICT doctype, where target= is invalid, and expect your
          visitors to use their browser efficiently.

          Greg
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
            Greg Chapman wrote:
            >Tabbed browsers have been around for years, so don't we all routinely
            >wheel-click links to open them in a new tab, unless you are absolutely
            >certain you won't want to return?

            Nope. I use Ctrl+N to open a new window as I've always done. But most
            often i use the backbutton. ;-)

            >Use a STRICT doctype, where target= is invalid, and expect your
            >visitors to use their browser efficiently.

            Not a good idea, since Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

            None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
            Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

            Lotta
          • Mick Housel
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
              The need for the special window, as I stated is due to the fact that's
              *what the client wants*.

              I won't make the assumption that anyone that visits websites know their
              browsers well enough to know all the simple "tricks" that we take for
              granted. Agreed, many of us know all the little things that can make
              things work as we want them, the normal "user" probably doesn't know many.

              One of the best pieces of advice I ever received, back many years ago
              when I started programming and well before I did any website
              design/maintenance was "Consider that the user is as intelligent as a
              rock and try to make it as difficult as possible for them to screw
              things up." To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
              anything other than point and click and there's more of those out there
              than you might realize.

              Mick

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                Mick Housel wrote:
                > To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
                > anything other than point and click and there's more of those
                > out there than you might realize.

                That is exactly my point. and it leads directly to "Do not break the
                back button." This button is the inexperienced user's main help line and
                he relies on it the more, the less experienced he is. Without that the
                net loses a lot of its basic useability.

                I'll heed Lottas advice and make this my last post on that OT subject.
                (Should you want to pursue it in [NTO] I'll follow you there.

                Axel
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                  Hi Loro,

                  On 08 Jun 10 19:16 loro <tabbie@...> said:
                  > Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

                  Good golly! Are you telling me that anyone creates frame-based sites
                  these days. CSS can reproduce 99% of their functionality and the rest
                  probably isn't worth worrying about. But...

                  > None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
                  > Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

                  True enough! I was just expressing mine!

                  Greg
                • Ray Shapp
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 9, 2010
                    Hi Mick and All,

                    In Intranet zone, the "Default level" button was not grayed out but not
                    necessarily because of a custom setting. Merely by adjusting the slider to
                    "Low" causes the "Default level" button to become active. When I pressed
                    "Default level", the slider reverted to "Medium - Low". Pressing the button
                    must have reset something else too because the A tag behavior became normal.

                    I was also able to get rid of the warning message in a caution bar at the top
                    of the page that says in part, "... Internet Explorer has restricted this
                    webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls...". On the Advanced tab, I
                    added a checkmark to "Allow active content to run in files in My Computer".

                    I am finally able to navigate the locally mirrored version of my website using
                    MSIE, then view source in NoteTab, then make edits, then launch MSIE using F8
                    to see results of the revisions. No more inoperative A tags. No more warning
                    messages. Life is sweet!

                    Many thanks to all who helped.

                    Ray Shapp