Re: [NH] A Tags INOP in MSIE, But OK in Firefox

  • Mick Housel
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
      In IE8 go to Tools then Internet Options or go through the control panel
      to get to Internet Options. Click on the Security Tab in IE options then
      choose Local intranet and check you settings there. For Local intranet
      I've got it set to Medium-Low and have no issues with loading/displaying
      pages locally.

      I run Xampp which is a setup with an Apache server, PHP, MySQL, etc. on
      my Win7 64 bit box for in-house testing purposes before loading
      sites/updates to the World Wide Wackiness on my server.

      Mick

      On 6/8/2010 1:51 AM, Rudolf Horbas wrote:

      > Hi Ray,
      >
      > must run, can't dig into deeper into this right now, but here's a hint:
      > It's got to do with the IE zone model: IE thinks your local PC is more
      > dangerous than a website.
      > Try to search for "mark of the web" and you'll be fine.
      >
      > Cost me quite some time and a few grey hairs (CD production).
      >
      > HTH,
      > Rudi
      >
      > > To All,
      > >
      > > For nearly two years now, the A tags on just one of the pages of the
      > mirror of
      > > my website on my local PC do not respond when the hyperlink is
      > clicked in
      > > MSIE. The A tags all work normally in Firefox. I thought the problem
      > would
      <snip>
    • Mick Housel
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
        I disagree, there are times when using the target="_blank" is
        acceptable. As an example, I have a client that has numerous PDF files
        on their website. There is a link there so that folks can go download
        Adobe Reader, this link opens in another window as the client does not
        want his visitor to be taken away from his website while they download
        Adobe Reader. While the back button doesn't work in the new window to
        get back to the original page, it doesn't need to as the original window
        is still there. I wouldn't use target="_blank" to go somewhere in the
        same domain or on a regular basis when going to other domains but it has
        it's uses when going off-site for some things and is NOT necessarily
        impolite and inconsiderate, IMO.

        Mick

        <snip>

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
          Mick Housel wrote:
          > but it has it's uses

          Let's agree to differ here. Them main thing is, you and me seem to be in
          agreement about the basic rule and the general case and I can live with
          a few exceptions I myself would not make.

          Axel
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
            Hi Mick,

            On 08 Jun 10 18:07 Mick Housel <motomania@...> said:
            > There is a link there so that folks can go download Adobe Reader,
            > this link opens in another window as the client does not want his
            > visitor to be taken away from his website while they download Adobe
            > Reader.

            What's the need for the separate window?

            Tabbed browsers have been around for years, so don't we all routinely
            wheel-click links to open them in a new tab, unless you are absolutely
            certain you won't want to return?(You also avoid all that "need to
            resend data" rubbish caused by using a BACK button!)

            I can barely remember the last time I left-clicked a link.

            Use a STRICT doctype, where target= is invalid, and expect your
            visitors to use their browser efficiently.

            Greg
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
              Greg Chapman wrote:
              >Tabbed browsers have been around for years, so don't we all routinely
              >wheel-click links to open them in a new tab, unless you are absolutely
              >certain you won't want to return?

              Nope. I use Ctrl+N to open a new window as I've always done. But most
              often i use the backbutton. ;-)

              >Use a STRICT doctype, where target= is invalid, and expect your
              >visitors to use their browser efficiently.

              Not a good idea, since Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

              None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
              Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

              Lotta
            • Mick Housel
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                The need for the special window, as I stated is due to the fact that's
                *what the client wants*.

                I won't make the assumption that anyone that visits websites know their
                browsers well enough to know all the simple "tricks" that we take for
                granted. Agreed, many of us know all the little things that can make
                things work as we want them, the normal "user" probably doesn't know many.

                One of the best pieces of advice I ever received, back many years ago
                when I started programming and well before I did any website
                design/maintenance was "Consider that the user is as intelligent as a
                rock and try to make it as difficult as possible for them to screw
                things up." To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
                anything other than point and click and there's more of those out there
                than you might realize.

                Mick

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                  Mick Housel wrote:
                  > To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
                  > anything other than point and click and there's more of those
                  > out there than you might realize.

                  That is exactly my point. and it leads directly to "Do not break the
                  back button." This button is the inexperienced user's main help line and
                  he relies on it the more, the less experienced he is. Without that the
                  net loses a lot of its basic useability.

                  I'll heed Lottas advice and make this my last post on that OT subject.
                  (Should you want to pursue it in [NTO] I'll follow you there.

                  Axel
                • Greg Chapman
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                    Hi Loro,

                    On 08 Jun 10 19:16 loro <tabbie@...> said:
                    > Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

                    Good golly! Are you telling me that anyone creates frame-based sites
                    these days. CSS can reproduce 99% of their functionality and the rest
                    probably isn't worth worrying about. But...

                    > None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
                    > Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

                    True enough! I was just expressing mine!

                    Greg
                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 9, 2010
                      Hi Mick and All,

                      In Intranet zone, the "Default level" button was not grayed out but not
                      necessarily because of a custom setting. Merely by adjusting the slider to
                      "Low" causes the "Default level" button to become active. When I pressed
                      "Default level", the slider reverted to "Medium - Low". Pressing the button
                      must have reset something else too because the A tag behavior became normal.

                      I was also able to get rid of the warning message in a caution bar at the top
                      of the page that says in part, "... Internet Explorer has restricted this
                      webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls...". On the Advanced tab, I
                      added a checkmark to "Allow active content to run in files in My Computer".

                      I am finally able to navigate the locally mirrored version of my website using
                      MSIE, then view source in NoteTab, then make edits, then launch MSIE using F8
                      to see results of the revisions. No more inoperative A tags. No more warning
                      messages. Life is sweet!

                      Many thanks to all who helped.

                      Ray Shapp