Re: [NH] A Tags INOP in MSIE, But OK in Firefox

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
      Hi
      running IE8 on XP and can not find problem every link I clicked on worked.
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        >***complete content of web page follows after one blank line***

        No, that isn't the complete page. My guess is that the offline
        document isn't identical to the online one, maybe some closing tag is
        missing higher up, but that's just a guess. Can you post the markup
        of the offline page, at least from the very top and a bit below the
        troublesome link?

        If you view source at http://www.asterism.org/gallery/gallry01.htm ,
        save it to disk and look at it in IE, does the link work or not?

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
          loro wrote:
          > No, that isn't the complete page.

          Hoping not to have misunderstood Ray, I think it is.

          Ray, it seems to me Rudolph may be on the right track here. In my IE5.5
          I could not reproduce your problem, but then my Internet Options ->
          Security settings are all edited and none left as default.

          By the way: Please think about dropping the target="_blank". Opening new
          windows on other people's screen real estate is extremly impolite and
          inconsiderate and worst *it breaks the back button*, the worst
          disruption possible.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
            At 15:39 2010-06-08, Axel Berger wrote:
            >loro wrote:
            > > No, that isn't the complete page.
            >
            >Hoping not to have misunderstood Ray, I think it is.

            Nope.

            Ray wrote:
            >To avoid any possible error being introduced by code in the rest of the page,
            >I have stripped it down to the three lines you see below my signature.

            Unless... Ray, do you mean the the link doesn't work when it's all
            you've got on the page? Did you try your stripped down version in IE?

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
              loro wrote:
              > Ray, do you mean the the link doesn't work when it's all you've
              > got on the page? Did you try your stripped down version in IE?

              That's how I understood
              > Those three lines are the total content of the web page
              > called "gallry01.htm". That page and the page called
              > "hubble01.htm" are both in the same folder.

              Axel
            • Mick Housel
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                In IE8 go to Tools then Internet Options or go through the control panel
                to get to Internet Options. Click on the Security Tab in IE options then
                choose Local intranet and check you settings there. For Local intranet
                I've got it set to Medium-Low and have no issues with loading/displaying
                pages locally.

                I run Xampp which is a setup with an Apache server, PHP, MySQL, etc. on
                my Win7 64 bit box for in-house testing purposes before loading
                sites/updates to the World Wide Wackiness on my server.

                Mick

                On 6/8/2010 1:51 AM, Rudolf Horbas wrote:

                > Hi Ray,
                >
                > must run, can't dig into deeper into this right now, but here's a hint:
                > It's got to do with the IE zone model: IE thinks your local PC is more
                > dangerous than a website.
                > Try to search for "mark of the web" and you'll be fine.
                >
                > Cost me quite some time and a few grey hairs (CD production).
                >
                > HTH,
                > Rudi
                >
                > > To All,
                > >
                > > For nearly two years now, the A tags on just one of the pages of the
                > mirror of
                > > my website on my local PC do not respond when the hyperlink is
                > clicked in
                > > MSIE. The A tags all work normally in Firefox. I thought the problem
                > would
                <snip>
              • Mick Housel
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                  I disagree, there are times when using the target="_blank" is
                  acceptable. As an example, I have a client that has numerous PDF files
                  on their website. There is a link there so that folks can go download
                  Adobe Reader, this link opens in another window as the client does not
                  want his visitor to be taken away from his website while they download
                  Adobe Reader. While the back button doesn't work in the new window to
                  get back to the original page, it doesn't need to as the original window
                  is still there. I wouldn't use target="_blank" to go somewhere in the
                  same domain or on a regular basis when going to other domains but it has
                  it's uses when going off-site for some things and is NOT necessarily
                  impolite and inconsiderate, IMO.

                  Mick

                  <snip>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                    Mick Housel wrote:
                    > but it has it's uses

                    Let's agree to differ here. Them main thing is, you and me seem to be in
                    agreement about the basic rule and the general case and I can live with
                    a few exceptions I myself would not make.

                    Axel
                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                      Hi Mick,

                      On 08 Jun 10 18:07 Mick Housel <motomania@...> said:
                      > There is a link there so that folks can go download Adobe Reader,
                      > this link opens in another window as the client does not want his
                      > visitor to be taken away from his website while they download Adobe
                      > Reader.

                      What's the need for the separate window?

                      Tabbed browsers have been around for years, so don't we all routinely
                      wheel-click links to open them in a new tab, unless you are absolutely
                      certain you won't want to return?(You also avoid all that "need to
                      resend data" rubbish caused by using a BACK button!)

                      I can barely remember the last time I left-clicked a link.

                      Use a STRICT doctype, where target= is invalid, and expect your
                      visitors to use their browser efficiently.

                      Greg
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                        Greg Chapman wrote:
                        >Tabbed browsers have been around for years, so don't we all routinely
                        >wheel-click links to open them in a new tab, unless you are absolutely
                        >certain you won't want to return?

                        Nope. I use Ctrl+N to open a new window as I've always done. But most
                        often i use the backbutton. ;-)

                        >Use a STRICT doctype, where target= is invalid, and expect your
                        >visitors to use their browser efficiently.

                        Not a good idea, since Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

                        None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
                        Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

                        Lotta
                      • Mick Housel
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                          The need for the special window, as I stated is due to the fact that's
                          *what the client wants*.

                          I won't make the assumption that anyone that visits websites know their
                          browsers well enough to know all the simple "tricks" that we take for
                          granted. Agreed, many of us know all the little things that can make
                          things work as we want them, the normal "user" probably doesn't know many.

                          One of the best pieces of advice I ever received, back many years ago
                          when I started programming and well before I did any website
                          design/maintenance was "Consider that the user is as intelligent as a
                          rock and try to make it as difficult as possible for them to screw
                          things up." To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
                          anything other than point and click and there's more of those out there
                          than you might realize.

                          Mick

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                            Mick Housel wrote:
                            > To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
                            > anything other than point and click and there's more of those
                            > out there than you might realize.

                            That is exactly my point. and it leads directly to "Do not break the
                            back button." This button is the inexperienced user's main help line and
                            he relies on it the more, the less experienced he is. Without that the
                            net loses a lot of its basic useability.

                            I'll heed Lottas advice and make this my last post on that OT subject.
                            (Should you want to pursue it in [NTO] I'll follow you there.

                            Axel
                          • Greg Chapman
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                              Hi Loro,

                              On 08 Jun 10 19:16 loro <tabbie@...> said:
                              > Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

                              Good golly! Are you telling me that anyone creates frame-based sites
                              these days. CSS can reproduce 99% of their functionality and the rest
                              probably isn't worth worrying about. But...

                              > None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
                              > Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

                              True enough! I was just expressing mine!

                              Greg
                            • Ray Shapp
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 9, 2010
                                Hi Mick and All,

                                In Intranet zone, the "Default level" button was not grayed out but not
                                necessarily because of a custom setting. Merely by adjusting the slider to
                                "Low" causes the "Default level" button to become active. When I pressed
                                "Default level", the slider reverted to "Medium - Low". Pressing the button
                                must have reset something else too because the A tag behavior became normal.

                                I was also able to get rid of the warning message in a caution bar at the top
                                of the page that says in part, "... Internet Explorer has restricted this
                                webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls...". On the Advanced tab, I
                                added a checkmark to "Allow active content to run in files in My Computer".

                                I am finally able to navigate the locally mirrored version of my website using
                                MSIE, then view source in NoteTab, then make edits, then launch MSIE using F8
                                to see results of the revisions. No more inoperative A tags. No more warning
                                messages. Life is sweet!

                                Many thanks to all who helped.

                                Ray Shapp