Re: [NH] Video does not play

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 3, 2010
      hsavage wrote:
      > though I do have to double-click it.

      Yes, that's a bit of a bother about that free player I found. Hope my
      visitors can live with it like I can.

      Axel
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
        To All,

        For nearly two years now, the A tags on just one of the pages of the mirror of
        my website on my local PC do not respond when the hyperlink is clicked in
        MSIE. The A tags all work normally in Firefox. I thought the problem would
        resolve when I upgraded to newer version of the browsers, but it persists in
        MSIE 8.0. I am now migrating to a new PC running Win7 Pro 64bit. The machine
        is very new and is lightly loaded, therefore, I have had little opportunity to
        corrupt the operating system or the browsers, yet the problem persists.

        To avoid any possible error being introduced by code in the rest of the page,
        I have stripped it down to the three lines you see below my signature. Those
        three lines are the total content of the web page called "gallry01.htm". That
        page and the page called "hubble01.htm" are both in the same folder.

        When I click on "test" in the Firefox browser, the hubble01.htm page opens
        normally. When I click on "test" in MSIE, I get no reaction of any kind --
        not even an error message. When I hover over "test" in MSIE, I can see the
        correct path and file name in the status bar
        (file///D:/asterism/gallery/hubble01.htm).

        Note that the spelling of "gallery" omits the letter "e" when it is used in
        the file name but the letter "e" is retained in the folder name.

        The online version of these web pages works normally in both browsers. To see
        this normal operation in context, please visit www.asterism.org and click
        "Photo Gallery". The photo of the Hubble team is the first image in the
        gallery. You can see the complete markup by right-clicking "View Source" on
        gallry01.htm in the right-hand frame.

        Please tell me why MSIE is unable to render gallry01.htm.

        Thank you for your help.

        Ray Shapp

        ***complete content of web page follows after one blank line***

      • Rudolf Horbas
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
          Hi Ray,

          must run, can't dig into deeper into this right now, but here's a hint:
          It's got to do with the IE zone model: IE thinks your local PC is more
          dangerous than a website.
          Try to search for "mark of the web" and you'll be fine.

          Cost me quite some time and a few grey hairs (CD production).

          HTH,
          Rudi

          > To All,
          >
          > For nearly two years now, the A tags on just one of the pages of the mirror of
          > my website on my local PC do not respond when the hyperlink is clicked in
          > MSIE. The A tags all work normally in Firefox. I thought the problem would
          > resolve when I upgraded to newer version of the browsers, but it persists in
          > MSIE 8.0. I am now migrating to a new PC running Win7 Pro 64bit. The machine
          > is very new and is lightly loaded, therefore, I have had little opportunity to
          > corrupt the operating system or the browsers, yet the problem persists.
          >
          > To avoid any possible error being introduced by code in the rest of the page,
          > I have stripped it down to the three lines you see below my signature. Those
          > three lines are the total content of the web page called "gallry01.htm". That
          > page and the page called "hubble01.htm" are both in the same folder.
          >
          > When I click on "test" in the Firefox browser, the hubble01.htm page opens
          > normally. When I click on "test" in MSIE, I get no reaction of any kind --
          > not even an error message. When I hover over "test" in MSIE, I can see the
          > correct path and file name in the status bar
          > (file///D:/asterism/gallery/hubble01.htm).
          >
          > Note that the spelling of "gallery" omits the letter "e" when it is used in
          > the file name but the letter "e" is retained in the folder name.
          >
          > The online version of these web pages works normally in both browsers. To see
          > this normal operation in context, please visit www.asterism.org and click
          > "Photo Gallery". The photo of the Hubble team is the first image in the
          > gallery. You can see the complete markup by right-clicking "View Source" on
          > gallry01.htm in the right-hand frame.
          >
          > Please tell me why MSIE is unable to render gallry01.htm.
          >
          > Thank you for your help.
          >
          > Ray Shapp
          >
          > ***complete content of web page follows after one blank line***

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
            Hi
            running IE8 on XP and can not find problem every link I clicked on worked.
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
              Ray Shapp wrote:
              >***complete content of web page follows after one blank line***

              No, that isn't the complete page. My guess is that the offline
              document isn't identical to the online one, maybe some closing tag is
              missing higher up, but that's just a guess. Can you post the markup
              of the offline page, at least from the very top and a bit below the
              troublesome link?

              If you view source at http://www.asterism.org/gallery/gallry01.htm ,
              save it to disk and look at it in IE, does the link work or not?

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                loro wrote:
                > No, that isn't the complete page.

                Hoping not to have misunderstood Ray, I think it is.

                Ray, it seems to me Rudolph may be on the right track here. In my IE5.5
                I could not reproduce your problem, but then my Internet Options ->
                Security settings are all edited and none left as default.

                By the way: Please think about dropping the target="_blank". Opening new
                windows on other people's screen real estate is extremly impolite and
                inconsiderate and worst *it breaks the back button*, the worst
                disruption possible.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                  At 15:39 2010-06-08, Axel Berger wrote:
                  >loro wrote:
                  > > No, that isn't the complete page.
                  >
                  >Hoping not to have misunderstood Ray, I think it is.

                  Nope.

                  Ray wrote:
                  >To avoid any possible error being introduced by code in the rest of the page,
                  >I have stripped it down to the three lines you see below my signature.

                  Unless... Ray, do you mean the the link doesn't work when it's all
                  you've got on the page? Did you try your stripped down version in IE?

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                    loro wrote:
                    > Ray, do you mean the the link doesn't work when it's all you've
                    > got on the page? Did you try your stripped down version in IE?

                    That's how I understood
                    > Those three lines are the total content of the web page
                    > called "gallry01.htm". That page and the page called
                    > "hubble01.htm" are both in the same folder.

                    Axel
                  • Mick Housel
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                      In IE8 go to Tools then Internet Options or go through the control panel
                      to get to Internet Options. Click on the Security Tab in IE options then
                      choose Local intranet and check you settings there. For Local intranet
                      I've got it set to Medium-Low and have no issues with loading/displaying
                      pages locally.

                      I run Xampp which is a setup with an Apache server, PHP, MySQL, etc. on
                      my Win7 64 bit box for in-house testing purposes before loading
                      sites/updates to the World Wide Wackiness on my server.

                      Mick

                      On 6/8/2010 1:51 AM, Rudolf Horbas wrote:

                      > Hi Ray,
                      >
                      > must run, can't dig into deeper into this right now, but here's a hint:
                      > It's got to do with the IE zone model: IE thinks your local PC is more
                      > dangerous than a website.
                      > Try to search for "mark of the web" and you'll be fine.
                      >
                      > Cost me quite some time and a few grey hairs (CD production).
                      >
                      > HTH,
                      > Rudi
                      >
                      > > To All,
                      > >
                      > > For nearly two years now, the A tags on just one of the pages of the
                      > mirror of
                      > > my website on my local PC do not respond when the hyperlink is
                      > clicked in
                      > > MSIE. The A tags all work normally in Firefox. I thought the problem
                      > would
                      <snip>
                    • Mick Housel
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                        I disagree, there are times when using the target="_blank" is
                        acceptable. As an example, I have a client that has numerous PDF files
                        on their website. There is a link there so that folks can go download
                        Adobe Reader, this link opens in another window as the client does not
                        want his visitor to be taken away from his website while they download
                        Adobe Reader. While the back button doesn't work in the new window to
                        get back to the original page, it doesn't need to as the original window
                        is still there. I wouldn't use target="_blank" to go somewhere in the
                        same domain or on a regular basis when going to other domains but it has
                        it's uses when going off-site for some things and is NOT necessarily
                        impolite and inconsiderate, IMO.

                        Mick

                        <snip>

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                          Mick Housel wrote:
                          > but it has it's uses

                          Let's agree to differ here. Them main thing is, you and me seem to be in
                          agreement about the basic rule and the general case and I can live with
                          a few exceptions I myself would not make.

                          Axel
                        • Greg Chapman
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                            Hi Mick,

                            On 08 Jun 10 18:07 Mick Housel <motomania@...> said:
                            > There is a link there so that folks can go download Adobe Reader,
                            > this link opens in another window as the client does not want his
                            > visitor to be taken away from his website while they download Adobe
                            > Reader.

                            What's the need for the separate window?

                            Tabbed browsers have been around for years, so don't we all routinely
                            wheel-click links to open them in a new tab, unless you are absolutely
                            certain you won't want to return?(You also avoid all that "need to
                            resend data" rubbish caused by using a BACK button!)

                            I can barely remember the last time I left-clicked a link.

                            Use a STRICT doctype, where target= is invalid, and expect your
                            visitors to use their browser efficiently.

                            Greg
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                              Greg Chapman wrote:
                              >Tabbed browsers have been around for years, so don't we all routinely
                              >wheel-click links to open them in a new tab, unless you are absolutely
                              >certain you won't want to return?

                              Nope. I use Ctrl+N to open a new window as I've always done. But most
                              often i use the backbutton. ;-)

                              >Use a STRICT doctype, where target= is invalid, and expect your
                              >visitors to use their browser efficiently.

                              Not a good idea, since Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

                              None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
                              Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

                              Lotta
                            • Mick Housel
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                                The need for the special window, as I stated is due to the fact that's
                                *what the client wants*.

                                I won't make the assumption that anyone that visits websites know their
                                browsers well enough to know all the simple "tricks" that we take for
                                granted. Agreed, many of us know all the little things that can make
                                things work as we want them, the normal "user" probably doesn't know many.

                                One of the best pieces of advice I ever received, back many years ago
                                when I started programming and well before I did any website
                                design/maintenance was "Consider that the user is as intelligent as a
                                rock and try to make it as difficult as possible for them to screw
                                things up." To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
                                anything other than point and click and there's more of those out there
                                than you might realize.

                                Mick

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                                  Mick Housel wrote:
                                  > To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
                                  > anything other than point and click and there's more of those
                                  > out there than you might realize.

                                  That is exactly my point. and it leads directly to "Do not break the
                                  back button." This button is the inexperienced user's main help line and
                                  he relies on it the more, the less experienced he is. Without that the
                                  net loses a lot of its basic useability.

                                  I'll heed Lottas advice and make this my last post on that OT subject.
                                  (Should you want to pursue it in [NTO] I'll follow you there.

                                  Axel
                                • Greg Chapman
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                                    Hi Loro,

                                    On 08 Jun 10 19:16 loro <tabbie@...> said:
                                    > Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

                                    Good golly! Are you telling me that anyone creates frame-based sites
                                    these days. CSS can reproduce 99% of their functionality and the rest
                                    probably isn't worth worrying about. But...

                                    > None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
                                    > Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

                                    True enough! I was just expressing mine!

                                    Greg
                                  • Ray Shapp
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 9, 2010
                                      Hi Mick and All,

                                      In Intranet zone, the "Default level" button was not grayed out but not
                                      necessarily because of a custom setting. Merely by adjusting the slider to
                                      "Low" causes the "Default level" button to become active. When I pressed
                                      "Default level", the slider reverted to "Medium - Low". Pressing the button
                                      must have reset something else too because the A tag behavior became normal.

                                      I was also able to get rid of the warning message in a caution bar at the top
                                      of the page that says in part, "... Internet Explorer has restricted this
                                      webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls...". On the Advanced tab, I
                                      added a checkmark to "Allow active content to run in files in My Computer".

                                      I am finally able to navigate the locally mirrored version of my website using
                                      MSIE, then view source in NoteTab, then make edits, then launch MSIE using F8
                                      to see results of the revisions. No more inoperative A tags. No more warning
                                      messages. Life is sweet!

                                      Many thanks to all who helped.

                                      Ray Shapp