Video does not play

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 2, 2010
      Has anyone got any idea why the video in

      http://berger-odenthal.de/aktuell/a-100531.htm

      will play in Firefox but not in Opera 9.27? In the second paragraph
      beneath the video there is a link to another page with a video, inserted
      with identically the same code, that plays fine.

      N.B: The content of those pages is political and possibly contentious.
      Any discussion of that would be off topic here, my question is limited
      to the technical side. (But I will answer any private mail or
      criticism.)

      Danke
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 2, 2010
        Axel Berger wrote:
        >Has anyone got any idea why the video in
        >
        > http://berger-odenthal.de/aktuell/a-100531.htm
        >
        >will play in Firefox but not in Opera 9.27?

        Plays here. I don't have 9.27 though, but it plays in 9.25 and 9.5.

        Lotta
      • Scott Fordin
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2010
          Works fine for me in Opera 10.10 on Ubuntu 9.10.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2010
            Scott Fordin wrote:
            > Works fine

            Thanks Scott and Loro, so my page is alright then. I don't need to view
            it myself, I know what it is, as long as everyone else can, I'm content.

            I would suspect old plugins, but the video plays fine on those sites I
            copied it from,, just not on my own.

            Danke
            Axel
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 2, 2010
              Axel Berger wrote:
              > Has anyone got any idea why the video in
              >
              > http://berger-odenthal.de/aktuell/a-100531.htm
              >
              > will play in Firefox but not in Opera 9.27? In the second paragraph
              > beneath the video there is a link to another page with a video, inserted
              > with identically the same code, that plays fine.
              >
              > N.B: The content of those pages is political and possibly contentious.
              > Any discussion of that would be off topic here, my question is limited
              > to the technical side. (But I will answer any private mail or
              > criticism.)
              >
              > Danke
              > Axel

              Axel,

              I have Opera v10.53 and the video plays fine, though I do have to
              double-click it.

              ºvº SL_day# 152 - created 2010.06.01_00.31.30

              Measure of SUCCESS:
              • At age 20 is...
              Going all the way.

              € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 3, 2010
                hsavage wrote:
                > though I do have to double-click it.

                Yes, that's a bit of a bother about that free player I found. Hope my
                visitors can live with it like I can.

                Axel
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                  To All,

                  For nearly two years now, the A tags on just one of the pages of the mirror of
                  my website on my local PC do not respond when the hyperlink is clicked in
                  MSIE. The A tags all work normally in Firefox. I thought the problem would
                  resolve when I upgraded to newer version of the browsers, but it persists in
                  MSIE 8.0. I am now migrating to a new PC running Win7 Pro 64bit. The machine
                  is very new and is lightly loaded, therefore, I have had little opportunity to
                  corrupt the operating system or the browsers, yet the problem persists.

                  To avoid any possible error being introduced by code in the rest of the page,
                  I have stripped it down to the three lines you see below my signature. Those
                  three lines are the total content of the web page called "gallry01.htm". That
                  page and the page called "hubble01.htm" are both in the same folder.

                  When I click on "test" in the Firefox browser, the hubble01.htm page opens
                  normally. When I click on "test" in MSIE, I get no reaction of any kind --
                  not even an error message. When I hover over "test" in MSIE, I can see the
                  correct path and file name in the status bar
                  (file///D:/asterism/gallery/hubble01.htm).

                  Note that the spelling of "gallery" omits the letter "e" when it is used in
                  the file name but the letter "e" is retained in the folder name.

                  The online version of these web pages works normally in both browsers. To see
                  this normal operation in context, please visit www.asterism.org and click
                  "Photo Gallery". The photo of the Hubble team is the first image in the
                  gallery. You can see the complete markup by right-clicking "View Source" on
                  gallry01.htm in the right-hand frame.

                  Please tell me why MSIE is unable to render gallry01.htm.

                  Thank you for your help.

                  Ray Shapp

                  ***complete content of web page follows after one blank line***

                • Rudolf Horbas
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                    Hi Ray,

                    must run, can't dig into deeper into this right now, but here's a hint:
                    It's got to do with the IE zone model: IE thinks your local PC is more
                    dangerous than a website.
                    Try to search for "mark of the web" and you'll be fine.

                    Cost me quite some time and a few grey hairs (CD production).

                    HTH,
                    Rudi

                    > To All,
                    >
                    > For nearly two years now, the A tags on just one of the pages of the mirror of
                    > my website on my local PC do not respond when the hyperlink is clicked in
                    > MSIE. The A tags all work normally in Firefox. I thought the problem would
                    > resolve when I upgraded to newer version of the browsers, but it persists in
                    > MSIE 8.0. I am now migrating to a new PC running Win7 Pro 64bit. The machine
                    > is very new and is lightly loaded, therefore, I have had little opportunity to
                    > corrupt the operating system or the browsers, yet the problem persists.
                    >
                    > To avoid any possible error being introduced by code in the rest of the page,
                    > I have stripped it down to the three lines you see below my signature. Those
                    > three lines are the total content of the web page called "gallry01.htm". That
                    > page and the page called "hubble01.htm" are both in the same folder.
                    >
                    > When I click on "test" in the Firefox browser, the hubble01.htm page opens
                    > normally. When I click on "test" in MSIE, I get no reaction of any kind --
                    > not even an error message. When I hover over "test" in MSIE, I can see the
                    > correct path and file name in the status bar
                    > (file///D:/asterism/gallery/hubble01.htm).
                    >
                    > Note that the spelling of "gallery" omits the letter "e" when it is used in
                    > the file name but the letter "e" is retained in the folder name.
                    >
                    > The online version of these web pages works normally in both browsers. To see
                    > this normal operation in context, please visit www.asterism.org and click
                    > "Photo Gallery". The photo of the Hubble team is the first image in the
                    > gallery. You can see the complete markup by right-clicking "View Source" on
                    > gallry01.htm in the right-hand frame.
                    >
                    > Please tell me why MSIE is unable to render gallry01.htm.
                    >
                    > Thank you for your help.
                    >
                    > Ray Shapp
                    >
                    > ***complete content of web page follows after one blank line***

                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                      Hi
                      running IE8 on XP and can not find problem every link I clicked on worked.
                      THANKYOU DAVE M

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                        Ray Shapp wrote:
                        >***complete content of web page follows after one blank line***

                        No, that isn't the complete page. My guess is that the offline
                        document isn't identical to the online one, maybe some closing tag is
                        missing higher up, but that's just a guess. Can you post the markup
                        of the offline page, at least from the very top and a bit below the
                        troublesome link?

                        If you view source at http://www.asterism.org/gallery/gallry01.htm ,
                        save it to disk and look at it in IE, does the link work or not?

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                          loro wrote:
                          > No, that isn't the complete page.

                          Hoping not to have misunderstood Ray, I think it is.

                          Ray, it seems to me Rudolph may be on the right track here. In my IE5.5
                          I could not reproduce your problem, but then my Internet Options ->
                          Security settings are all edited and none left as default.

                          By the way: Please think about dropping the target="_blank". Opening new
                          windows on other people's screen real estate is extremly impolite and
                          inconsiderate and worst *it breaks the back button*, the worst
                          disruption possible.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                            At 15:39 2010-06-08, Axel Berger wrote:
                            >loro wrote:
                            > > No, that isn't the complete page.
                            >
                            >Hoping not to have misunderstood Ray, I think it is.

                            Nope.

                            Ray wrote:
                            >To avoid any possible error being introduced by code in the rest of the page,
                            >I have stripped it down to the three lines you see below my signature.

                            Unless... Ray, do you mean the the link doesn't work when it's all
                            you've got on the page? Did you try your stripped down version in IE?

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                              loro wrote:
                              > Ray, do you mean the the link doesn't work when it's all you've
                              > got on the page? Did you try your stripped down version in IE?

                              That's how I understood
                              > Those three lines are the total content of the web page
                              > called "gallry01.htm". That page and the page called
                              > "hubble01.htm" are both in the same folder.

                              Axel
                            • Mick Housel
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                                In IE8 go to Tools then Internet Options or go through the control panel
                                to get to Internet Options. Click on the Security Tab in IE options then
                                choose Local intranet and check you settings there. For Local intranet
                                I've got it set to Medium-Low and have no issues with loading/displaying
                                pages locally.

                                I run Xampp which is a setup with an Apache server, PHP, MySQL, etc. on
                                my Win7 64 bit box for in-house testing purposes before loading
                                sites/updates to the World Wide Wackiness on my server.

                                Mick

                                On 6/8/2010 1:51 AM, Rudolf Horbas wrote:

                                > Hi Ray,
                                >
                                > must run, can't dig into deeper into this right now, but here's a hint:
                                > It's got to do with the IE zone model: IE thinks your local PC is more
                                > dangerous than a website.
                                > Try to search for "mark of the web" and you'll be fine.
                                >
                                > Cost me quite some time and a few grey hairs (CD production).
                                >
                                > HTH,
                                > Rudi
                                >
                                > > To All,
                                > >
                                > > For nearly two years now, the A tags on just one of the pages of the
                                > mirror of
                                > > my website on my local PC do not respond when the hyperlink is
                                > clicked in
                                > > MSIE. The A tags all work normally in Firefox. I thought the problem
                                > would
                                <snip>
                              • Mick Housel
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                                  I disagree, there are times when using the target="_blank" is
                                  acceptable. As an example, I have a client that has numerous PDF files
                                  on their website. There is a link there so that folks can go download
                                  Adobe Reader, this link opens in another window as the client does not
                                  want his visitor to be taken away from his website while they download
                                  Adobe Reader. While the back button doesn't work in the new window to
                                  get back to the original page, it doesn't need to as the original window
                                  is still there. I wouldn't use target="_blank" to go somewhere in the
                                  same domain or on a regular basis when going to other domains but it has
                                  it's uses when going off-site for some things and is NOT necessarily
                                  impolite and inconsiderate, IMO.

                                  Mick

                                  <snip>

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                                    Mick Housel wrote:
                                    > but it has it's uses

                                    Let's agree to differ here. Them main thing is, you and me seem to be in
                                    agreement about the basic rule and the general case and I can live with
                                    a few exceptions I myself would not make.

                                    Axel
                                  • Greg Chapman
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                                      Hi Mick,

                                      On 08 Jun 10 18:07 Mick Housel <motomania@...> said:
                                      > There is a link there so that folks can go download Adobe Reader,
                                      > this link opens in another window as the client does not want his
                                      > visitor to be taken away from his website while they download Adobe
                                      > Reader.

                                      What's the need for the separate window?

                                      Tabbed browsers have been around for years, so don't we all routinely
                                      wheel-click links to open them in a new tab, unless you are absolutely
                                      certain you won't want to return?(You also avoid all that "need to
                                      resend data" rubbish caused by using a BACK button!)

                                      I can barely remember the last time I left-clicked a link.

                                      Use a STRICT doctype, where target= is invalid, and expect your
                                      visitors to use their browser efficiently.

                                      Greg
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                                        Greg Chapman wrote:
                                        >Tabbed browsers have been around for years, so don't we all routinely
                                        >wheel-click links to open them in a new tab, unless you are absolutely
                                        >certain you won't want to return?

                                        Nope. I use Ctrl+N to open a new window as I've always done. But most
                                        often i use the backbutton. ;-)

                                        >Use a STRICT doctype, where target= is invalid, and expect your
                                        >visitors to use their browser efficiently.

                                        Not a good idea, since Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

                                        None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
                                        Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

                                        Lotta
                                      • Mick Housel
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                                          The need for the special window, as I stated is due to the fact that's
                                          *what the client wants*.

                                          I won't make the assumption that anyone that visits websites know their
                                          browsers well enough to know all the simple "tricks" that we take for
                                          granted. Agreed, many of us know all the little things that can make
                                          things work as we want them, the normal "user" probably doesn't know many.

                                          One of the best pieces of advice I ever received, back many years ago
                                          when I started programming and well before I did any website
                                          design/maintenance was "Consider that the user is as intelligent as a
                                          rock and try to make it as difficult as possible for them to screw
                                          things up." To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
                                          anything other than point and click and there's more of those out there
                                          than you might realize.

                                          Mick

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                                            Mick Housel wrote:
                                            > To me, that includes not assuming that the end user knows
                                            > anything other than point and click and there's more of those
                                            > out there than you might realize.

                                            That is exactly my point. and it leads directly to "Do not break the
                                            back button." This button is the inexperienced user's main help line and
                                            he relies on it the more, the less experienced he is. Without that the
                                            net loses a lot of its basic useability.

                                            I'll heed Lottas advice and make this my last post on that OT subject.
                                            (Should you want to pursue it in [NTO] I'll follow you there.

                                            Axel
                                          • Greg Chapman
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 8, 2010
                                              Hi Loro,

                                              On 08 Jun 10 19:16 loro <tabbie@...> said:
                                              > Strict is rather limiting with a framed site.

                                              Good golly! Are you telling me that anyone creates frame-based sites
                                              these days. CSS can reproduce 99% of their functionality and the rest
                                              probably isn't worth worrying about. But...

                                              > None of this has anything to do with Ray's problem though.
                                              > Preferences are preferences. Everyone has theirs.

                                              True enough! I was just expressing mine!

                                              Greg
                                            • Ray Shapp
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 9, 2010
                                                Hi Mick and All,

                                                In Intranet zone, the "Default level" button was not grayed out but not
                                                necessarily because of a custom setting. Merely by adjusting the slider to
                                                "Low" causes the "Default level" button to become active. When I pressed
                                                "Default level", the slider reverted to "Medium - Low". Pressing the button
                                                must have reset something else too because the A tag behavior became normal.

                                                I was also able to get rid of the warning message in a caution bar at the top
                                                of the page that says in part, "... Internet Explorer has restricted this
                                                webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls...". On the Advanced tab, I
                                                added a checkmark to "Allow active content to run in files in My Computer".

                                                I am finally able to navigate the locally mirrored version of my website using
                                                MSIE, then view source in NoteTab, then make edits, then launch MSIE using F8
                                                to see results of the revisions. No more inoperative A tags. No more warning
                                                messages. Life is sweet!

                                                Many thanks to all who helped.

                                                Ray Shapp