Re: [NH] css coding

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 10 , May 7, 2010
      Hi Axel,

      On 07 May 10 23:08 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:

      > I believe I'm right, but I'd have preferred to be able to verify
      > that before posting.

      You are right! It's why I made the amplification to Rudolf's answer.
      I'd hoped that the point about it being able to be used as an anchor
      would make the point.

      It's the ID alone that is the anchor not the element/id combination.

      The browser wouldn't know where to jump if there was both a "<p
      id="jumphere"> and an <h3 id=jumphere">.

      Greg
    • Scott Fordin
      Message 2 of 10 , May 7, 2010
        In CSS syntax, "#" is an id selector, and is used for a single unique
        element. By contrast, the "." is for class selectors, and are typically
        used multiple times on a page, often across multiple or groups of
        elements you want to have share some common characteristics. To put
        it another way, id selectors (#) are used for creating unique,
        referenceable elements on a page, where as class selectors are used
        for creating style definitions that can be reused among different
        elements.

        You might want to take a look here for more information:

        http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_id_class.asp

        Hope this helps,

        Scott

        Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:

        > Hello, y'all!
        >
        > I just recently started to understand what the id attributes are for in
        > the html code. But what is the difference between using
        > tagname#something and tagname.something?
        >
        > body#subpage {background: #eeebe9 url(images/bg_alt.jpg) repeat-x;}
        >
        > body.subpage {background: #eeebe9 url(images/bg_alt.jpg) repeat-x;}
        >
        > Thanks!
        > - Brother Gabriel-Marie

      • brother.gabriel
        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2010
          Thanks, y'all! I knew there was a simple explanation; I sort of understood but sort of didn't. Now there is no question. This is a good forum! Next thing I am getting into is PHP-MySQL, and that will be a whole other matter.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 9, 2010
            "brother.gabriel" wrote:
            > This is a good forum!

            No it's not! This is a mailing list, and that fact alone is ninety
            percent of the reason why we're better than fora - the rest is just us.

            Axel
          • Mick Housel
            Message 5 of 10 , May 9, 2010
              The PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites book(s) by Larry Ullman are very
              good resource for getting a working knowledge & understanding of how
              they work together. I'd suggest knowing at least the basics of PHP
              before attempting to do MySQL with it.

              Mick

              On 5/9/2010 12:06 PM, brother.gabriel wrote:

              > Thanks, y'all! I knew there was a simple explanation; I sort of
              > understood but sort of didn't. Now there is no question. This is a good
              > forum! Next thing I am getting into is PHP-MySQL, and that will be a
              > whole other matter.
            • brother.gabriel
              Message 6 of 10 , May 17, 2010
                Okay! You say tomatoe, I say tomatoh. Anyways, I agree with you completely that it is better than those php web-forums. I much prefer this email-based *ahem* forum. I hate logging onto sites all the time and messing around with passwords. And here I get all my correspondence saved into my Thunderbird. I appreciate the Yahoo Groups for that.
                -BGM