css coding

  • Brother Gabriel-Marie
    Message 1 of 10 , May 6 2:10 PM
      Hello, y'all!

      I just recently started to understand what the id attributes are for in
      the html code. But what is the difference between using
      tagname#something and tagname.something?

      body#subpage {background: #eeebe9 url(images/bg_alt.jpg) repeat-x;}

      body.subpage {background: #eeebe9 url(images/bg_alt.jpg) repeat-x;}

      Thanks!
      - Brother Gabriel-Marie
    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 10 , May 7 2:46 PM
        Brother Gabriel-Marie schrieb am 06.05.2010 23:10:

        > I just recently started to understand what the id attributes are for in
        > the html code. But what is the difference between using
        > tagname#something and tagname.something?
        >
        > body#subpage {background: #eeebe9 url(images/bg_alt.jpg) repeat-x;}
        >
        > body.subpage {background: #eeebe9 url(images/bg_alt.jpg) repeat-x;}

        That's id vs. class.
        In your example, you would have in the html part:

        For elements that appear more than once, you can't repeat the id; you'd
        use class instead.

        So you can't have

        <ul>
        <li id="foo">
        <li id="foo">
        </ul>

        but this is OK:

        <ul>
        <li id="foo" class="bar">
        <li id="foo2" class="bar">
        </ul>

        So, take the attribute names literally: An id is something unique, while
        a class is a group of similar elements.

        HTH,
        Rudi
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 10 , May 7 3:02 PM
          Hi B G-M,

          On 07 May 10 22:46 Rudolf Horbas <rhorbas@...> said:
          > So, take the attribute names literally: An id is something unique,
          > while a class is a group of similar elements.

          Just to emphasise why you must only have one ID on a page. It can be
          used as an anchor, i.e. you can place a link to an HTML element with
          an ID.

          Obviously, that can't be done with a CLASS as the browser wouldn't
          know which one to jump to!

          Greg
          Message 4 of 10 , May 7 3:08 PM
            Greg Chapman wrote:
            > why you must only have one ID on a page. It can be
            > used as an anchor,

            If I remember it correctly, but I can't find a reference to verify it,
            an ID must not only be unique per kind of element but must be unique on
            a page.

            So not only can't you have two <P ID="standard"> on the same page but
            you also can not have a
            <P ID="standard"> and a <H4 ID="standard">.

            I believe I'm right, but I'd have preferred to be able to verify that
            before posting.

            Axel
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 10 , May 7 3:21 PM
              Hi Axel,

              On 07 May 10 23:08 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:

              > I believe I'm right, but I'd have preferred to be able to verify
              > that before posting.

              You are right! It's why I made the amplification to Rudolf's answer.
              I'd hoped that the point about it being able to be used as an anchor
              would make the point.

              It's the ID alone that is the anchor not the element/id combination.

              The browser wouldn't know where to jump if there was both a "<p
              id="jumphere"> and an <h3 id=jumphere">.

              Greg
            • Scott Fordin
              Message 6 of 10 , May 7 6:18 PM
                In CSS syntax, "#" is an id selector, and is used for a single unique
                element. By contrast, the "." is for class selectors, and are typically
                used multiple times on a page, often across multiple or groups of
                elements you want to have share some common characteristics. To put
                it another way, id selectors (#) are used for creating unique,
                referenceable elements on a page, where as class selectors are used
                for creating style definitions that can be reused among different
                elements.

                You might want to take a look here for more information:

                http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_id_class.asp

                Hope this helps,

                Scott

                Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:

                > Hello, y'all!
                >
                > I just recently started to understand what the id attributes are for in
                > the html code. But what is the difference between using
                > tagname#something and tagname.something?
                >
                > body#subpage {background: #eeebe9 url(images/bg_alt.jpg) repeat-x;}
                >
                > body.subpage {background: #eeebe9 url(images/bg_alt.jpg) repeat-x;}
                >
                > Thanks!
                > - Brother Gabriel-Marie

              • brother.gabriel
                Message 7 of 10 , May 9 12:06 PM
                  Thanks, y'all! I knew there was a simple explanation; I sort of understood but sort of didn't. Now there is no question. This is a good forum! Next thing I am getting into is PHP-MySQL, and that will be a whole other matter.

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 9 12:16 PM
                    "brother.gabriel" wrote:
                    > This is a good forum!

                    No it's not! This is a mailing list, and that fact alone is ninety
                    percent of the reason why we're better than fora - the rest is just us.

                    Axel
                  • Mick Housel
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 9 10:46 PM
                      The PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites book(s) by Larry Ullman are very
                      good resource for getting a working knowledge & understanding of how
                      they work together. I'd suggest knowing at least the basics of PHP
                      before attempting to do MySQL with it.

                      Mick

                      On 5/9/2010 12:06 PM, brother.gabriel wrote:

                      > Thanks, y'all! I knew there was a simple explanation; I sort of
                      > understood but sort of didn't. Now there is no question. This is a good
                      > forum! Next thing I am getting into is PHP-MySQL, and that will be a
                      > whole other matter.
                    • brother.gabriel
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 17 6:02 PM
                        Okay! You say tomatoe, I say tomatoh. Anyways, I agree with you completely that it is better than those php web-forums. I much prefer this email-based *ahem* forum. I hate logging onto sites all the time and messing around with passwords. And here I get all my correspondence saved into my Thunderbird. I appreciate the Yahoo Groups for that.
                        -BGM