equal width column layout

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2010
      For some reason I cannot find a template for a CSS 3 column equal
      *width* layout with header and footer.

      Any pointers?
      -Mike

      --

      Morgantown WV

      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2010
        Mike wrote:
        >For some reason I cannot find a template for a CSS 3 column equal
        >*width* layout with header and footer.

        Can't you find one where it works to change the widths?

        <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/wiki/Three_Column_Layouts>

        Lotta
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2010
          loro wrote:
          > Mike wrote:
          >> For some reason I cannot find a template for a CSS 3 column equal
          >> *width* layout with header and footer.
          >
          > Can't you find one where it works to change the widths?>
          > <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/wiki/Three_Column_Layouts>

          Yep. And it sounds simple, but I keep screwing them up.
          Thanks,
          -Mike

          > Lotta

          > ---
          > Virus Database (VPS): 100331-0, 03/31/2010
          > Tested on: 3/31/2010 9:13:39 AM

          Morgantown WV

          www.EpicRoadTrips.us
        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2010
            Op 31-mrt-10, om 15:03 heeft loro het volgende geschreven:

            > <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/wiki/Three_Column_Layouts>

            Good find!
            --
            Adrien
          • Bob Gorman
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2010
              Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:

              > For some reason I cannot find a template for a CSS 3 column equal
              > *width* layout with header and footer.
              >
              > Any pointers?
              > -Mike

              Here's what I use.
              Just play with the various parameters till you get what you want;
              and delete what you don't want.
              As you can see on my main website: http://www.KnCell.org
              I make the rightcontent go away, but its still there should I ever
              decide to use it.

              at the end of my website:

              /* C:\Projects\WebSite\Draft\Bob.css */
              /* Sunday, Aug. 12, 2007 6:20 PM */
              body {
              font-family: Comic Sans MS;
              font-size: medium;
              line-height: normal;
              text-decoration: none;
              margin:10px 10px 0px 10px;
              padding:0px;
              }

              #banner {
              background:#fff;
              height:150px;
              /* border:1px solid #000; */
              }

              #leftcontent {
              position: absolute;
              left:10px;
              top:161px;
              width:150px;
              background:#fff;
              border:0px solid #000;
              }

              #centercontent {
              background:#fff;
              top:161px;
              margin-left: 151px;
              margin-right:1px;
              /* border:1px solid #000; */
              }

              #rightcontent {
              position: absolute;
              right:10px;
              top:161px;
              width:0px;
              font-size: medium;
              background:#fff;
              /* border:1px solid #000; */
              }

              And here's how I call it from my webpage:
              <LINK rel=stylesheet href="bob.css" type="text/css">

              Knowledge is NOT enough!
              Knowledge + Confidence enables Action.
              Vision + Action = Leadership!
              - Bob Gorman
              http://www.KnCell.org
              http://blog.KnCell.org

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 31, 2010
                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > a template for a CSS 3 column equal *width* layout

                Would you mind using hyphens? Before seeing the answers I thought you
                were talking about draft CSS3 specifications, not about a 3-column
                layout.

                The best source I have ever found is
                http://www.positioniseverything.net/index.php

                I have based my own
                http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Sudel/Webdesign.htm
                on their "Jello Mold Piefecta".
                I dislike fixed layouts. The idea behind HTML was that the writer
                supplies the content and the reader determines how she wants it to look
                like and in what format window she'd like it presented. That said
                today's users are often to stupid to even resize their windows, (I've
                seen full-screen on ridiculously wide and shallow screens with lines of
                text hundredes of characters long runnning all across) so I do include
                some constraints for a maximum legible line length and such.

                A good introduction discussing many aspects is
                http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/ (best viewed with Javascript
                off IMHO).

                Axel
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 31, 2010
                  Thanks,
                  I will hold out until I find something like I want or am able to change
                  without hair tearing.
                  -mb

                  ===========
                  Bob Gorman wrote:
                  > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                  >>

                  >> For some reason I cannot find a template for a CSS 3 column equal
                  >> *width* layout with header and footer.
                  >>
                  >> Any pointers?
                  >> -Mike
                  >>
                  > Here's what I use.
                  > Just play with the various parameters till you get what you want;
                  > and delete what you don't want.
                  > As you can see on my main website: http://www.KnCell.org
                  > I make the rightcontent go away, but its still there should I ever
                  > decide to use it.
                  >
                  > at the end of my website:
                  <SNIP>
                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 31, 2010
                    Axel Berger wrote:
                    > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    >> a template for a CSS 3 column equal *width* layout
                    >
                    > Would you mind using hyphens? Before seeing the answers I thought you
                    > were talking about draft CSS3 specifications, not about a 3-column
                    > layout.

                    Ooops!
                    Back to English class I go!
                    -mb

                    =========================

                    > The best source I have ever found is
                    > http://www.positioniseverything.net/index.php
                    >
                    > I have based my own
                    > http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Sudel/Webdesign.htm
                    > on their "Jello Mold Piefecta".
                    > I dislike fixed layouts. The idea behind HTML was that the writer
                    > supplies the content and the reader determines how she wants it to look
                    > like and in what format window she'd like it presented. That said
                    > today's users are often to stupid to even resize their windows, (I've
                    > seen full-screen on ridiculously wide and shallow screens with lines of
                    > text hundredes of characters long runnning all across) so I do include
                    > some constraints for a maximum legible line length and such.
                    >
                    > A good introduction discussing many aspects is
                    > http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/ (best viewed with Javascript
                    > off IMHO).
                    >
                    > Axel
                  • Adrien Verlee
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2010
                      Op 31-mrt-10, om 15:18 heeft Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV het
                      volgende geschreven:

                      > Yep. And it sounds simple, but I keep screwing them up.

                      Like in html you can change lines in "comments" in css.
                      I believe it is with: /* ...here bla bla... */
                      So you can experiment without destroy things. If I'm not sure, I do
                      this often.
                      --
                      Adrien