Validator errors

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
      I was wondering why the validators below disagree with each other.
      -Mike

      Docuemtent validated
      http://epicroadtrips.us/gsb/index.php

      Returns:

      Congratulations, no errors!
      http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2Fgsb%2F&warnings=yes

      Error found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Strict!
      http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2Fgsb%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.767

      --

      Morgantown WV

      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > I was wondering why the validators below disagree with each other.

        Me too. The validator plug-in in my firefox finds no error either, so it
        might be a bug on W3C site. But a hint for making things easier. My clip
        for starting a new <DIV> reads:

        ^!Set %varCLS%=^?[&Class]; %varID%=^?[&ID]; %varALN%=^?[(T=L)&Align
        (transitional)=center|_|justify|left|right]; %varSTL%=""

        ^!IfEmpty "^%varALN%" leer

        ^!Set %varSTL%="text-align: ^%varALN%"

        :leer

        ^!InsertWizardHtml <DIV ID="^$StrLower("^%varID%")$"
        CLASS="^$StrLower("^%varCLS%")$" STYLE="^%varSTL%"
        ALIGN="^$StrUpper("^%varALN%")$">^P^&^P</DIV><!-- end
        #^$StrUpper("^%varID%")$ .^$StrUpper("^%varCLS%")$
        ^$StrUpper("^%varALN%")$ -->

        (first and last line are long). I.e. after every closing </DIV> I insert
        a comment telling me just what it is being closed here. I find it makes
        my sources much easier to follow.

        N.B: The ALIGN attribute is of course only allowed in transitional and
        is deprecated. I prefer to give just a little help to very old browsers
        that do not yet understand any CSS at all.

        In your PHP I have just deleted all <DIV></DIV> pairs from the inside
        out. First I ended up not with an unmatched </DIV> but rather an
        unmatched <DIV>, but that was because you did not place the closing tag
        of "<div id="footer"></div>" on a separate line. So now I'm pretty sure
        it's a bug on the W3C site. You could report it.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
          Mike wrote:
          >I was wondering why the validators below disagree with each other.
          >-Mike
          >
          >Docuemtent validated
          >http://epicroadtrips.us/gsb/index.php
          >
          >Returns:
          >
          >Congratulations, no errors!
          >http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2Fgsb%2F&warnings=yes
          >
          >Error found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Strict!
          >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2Fgsb%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.767

          Separate attributes with a space. Don't let them run together like
          for instance the below (which you have a bunch of).

          I have no idea what the validation error really means, but in this
          case the above is what causes it. It's probably some obscure XML
          error. The validators use different parsers, that's why some minor
          stuff can differ.

          Lotta
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
            Axel,
            Thanks for the clip and the feedback on the validation error.
            Before I report it I think I will wait and see what others have to offer.

            -Mike
            =================

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
              loro wrote:
              > but in this case the above is what causes it.

              Lotta, you amaze me time and time again. Here I thought I gone all
              through it with the finest of fine tooth combs, and still I missed that
              (I never thought to even look inside that <A> tag). How do you do it?

              Axel
            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
                Axel Berger wrote:
                > loro wrote:
                >> but in this case the above is what causes it.
                >
                > Lotta, you amaze me time and time again. Here I thought I gone all
                > through it with the finest of fine tooth combs, and still I missed that
                > (I never thought to even look inside that <A> tag). How do you do it?

                I wanna know also!
                It now generates no error:

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
                  Axel Berger wrote:
                  >Lotta, you amaze me time and time again. Here I thought I gone all
                  >through it with the finest of fine tooth combs, and still I missed that
                  >(I never thought to even look inside that <A> tag). How do you do it?

                  Trial and error. :-) Wasn't much else that looked odd. I'm not sure,
                  but I think it's a requirement of XML to use spaces between
                  attributes. It probably isn't in HTML, at least not defined in the
                  DTD so it can show up as an validation error.