Re: [NH] Working with frame sets...

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi Michael,

      On 01 Mar 10 09:14 Michael Rawley <rawley@...> said:

      > we are due to get a new standard during this year!

      Even more reason for recommending that any new project should be done
      to a HTML4.01 STRICT doctype then! (i.e. No Frames!)

      Once browsers have caught up to handle it, the job of updating to th
      new standard will be so much easier. No point in setting yourself up
      for another complete re-build in a couple of years time.

      (My understanding is that HTML5 will not require a major rebuild of
      existing 4.01 STRICT code. It will just add a few bells and whistles
      to make some popular features easy to implement, e.g. rounded corners
      will no longer require a host of miniature graphics to implement.)

      Greg Chapman
      http://www.gregtutor.plus.com
      Helping new users of KompoZer and The GIMP
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
        Greg Chapman wrote:
        > Even more reason for recommending that any new project should be done
        > to a HTML4.01 STRICT doctype then! (i.e. No Frames!)

        Not quite. <FRAME> and <FRAMESET> are alowed neither in strict nor in
        transitional but only in frameset. I do not use strict myself, because I
        insist on being able to use tags like <CENTER> and attributes like ALIGN
        for a little minimal styling in browsers without CSS support - I test my
        pages in Netscape 4.8. But apart from that I adhere to the strict rules
        even if not binding myself to them.

        Apart from that I wholeheartedly agree about frames. The resize exremely
        badly with the window size and they make it impossible to bookmark
        relevant pages, both hurting the visitor very much. Even if not using
        SSI, Notetab makes it extremely easy to do the same change in a whole
        bunch of pages in one go, thus invalidating the main reason for them.

        Axel
      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
          Tidy is a great tool and I use it a lot. Unfortunately, the official
          version is still stuck in HTML 4/XHTML, so attempting to use HTML5
          elements causes a lot of noise in the error log.

          But of course, being free software, somebody is taking care of this
          problem. An experimental fork of Tidy is being developed here:

          http://w3c.github.com/tidy-html5/

          A Windows build (dated from April, so not the latest cutting-edge thing,
          but probably acceptable) can be found here:

          http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/

          It's supposedly not production quality software, but it might be useful
          anyway.

          --
          MCBastos

          -=-=-
          ... Sent from my rotary-dial phone.
        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
            Op 5/08/2012 20:35, Marcelo Bastos schreef:

            > http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/

            That webpage seems to be a security risk, it is blocked by Microsoft
            Security Essentials

            --
            Adrien
          • Marcelo Bastos
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
              Interviewed by CNN on 05/08/2012 15:51, Adrien Verlee told the world:
              > Op 5/08/2012 20:35, Marcelo Bastos schreef:
              >
              >> http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/
              >>
              > That webpage seems to be a security risk, it is blocked by Microsoft
              > Security Essentials

              You're right, I checked and Google Safe Browsing gives a warning too,
              but the full diagnostic page is a bit ambivalent about it:

              <http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/&hl=en>

              I didn't notice any problems, but then, I have NoScript blocking most
              scripts... Avast didn't complain either. I think they got hacked at some
              point in the past and some script was trying to install malware. Perhaps
              it's fixed now and the site just wasn't cleared from the blacklists
              yet. It's probably a bad idea to visit it with vanilla Internet
              Explorer, particularly older version, anyway.

              But the Tidy binary itself seems to be OK; I uploaded it to Virustotal
              and it got a totally clean bill of health -- 0 alerts from 40 antivirus
              products.

              --
              MCBastos

              -=-=-