Re: [NH] Working with frame sets...

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28 8:04 PM
      post the broken page to comcast like
      create a directory called "test" or "demo" and put the broken pages
      there and then we can trouble shoot them

      On 2/28/2010 10:09 PM, woodysnomad wrote:
      > How would I do that? I am working in NoteTab Pro on my computer and the pages have not been forwarded to the comcast server until they are working ones.
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 28 11:46 PM
        Hi Joe,

        On 01 Mar 10 01:31 "jmgledhill" <jmgledhill@...> said:
        > I ran your code as suggested and it worked fine! That is what I
        > want and I assume that the left side will not scroll where the right
        > side will?

        So you didn't do what the first paragraph suggested and reduce the
        size of your window or add more content to the page? :-)

        > I got great help on the frames and it is working well to so why do
        > you feel it is an obsolete technique?

        The specs for HTML 4.01 were published in December 1999, so have been
        around for over ten years. The W3C would have expected all new sites
        constructed since then to use the STRICT doctype. That specification
        bans the use of FRAMESET, FRAME and NOFRAME, so you cannot produce a
        site that uses them and have code that will pass validation.

        The TRANSITIONAL doctype that you are currently using does allow them,
        but was only intended to be used for updating an existing site. Ten
        years on and a complete rebuild of the type you are contemplating
        should prompt you to use best practice coding techniques.

        While it's true that most modern browsers are exceedingly forgving in
        handling invalid and elderly code, so that many people will say "Why
        bother?", but a further reason for using the best modern pratice is to
        allow for new technologies that have developed since 1999. These days
        more many people are using PDAs Smartphones, netbooks, etc, to access
        the web and some of these devices do not handle old coding techniques,
        like frames, as well as a browser on a desktop computer.

        > Others seem to thing what I have done so far is OK.

        Others have, perhaps, chosen simply to answer your questions rather
        than open a can of worms by advising on the best approach. Answering a
        question in the form that you know a questioner will be able to
        implement is less hassle than challenging their whole approach. Who
        can blame them for going for the easy life? :-)

        > I am reading up on div but and I do plan on using the li for the
        > menu items later after I get other stuff fixed in css.

        It's good to know that you are reading up on DIVs. I saw that your
        current site uses a minimal external stylesheet, so I know you know
        how to implement one. Using <divs> and CSS should prove to be a
        trivial bit of new learning but with a fundamental impact on the
        quality of your site building. My demo file used an internal
        stylesheet, but I would expect you to export it as a separate file
        when used in your updated site.

        I am assuming that when you say you are fixing things in CSS you are
        planning to take the opportunity to remove all those BLOCKQUOTE and BR
        tags. You seem to use these elements a lot to produce indentation and
        breaks between paragraphs. I would urge you to use the appropriate <p>
        tags for your body text and use CSS to add any non-standard margins
        where you want them (e.g. add a margin in your CSS for <h1> instead of
        adding a <br>). Use of appropriate tags, can help with search engine
        rankings.

        Now that's probably far more than you wanted to handle, but I think
        will bring your coding quality on in leaps an bounds. :-)

        OK, one more example snippet of code to add to the stylesheet on that
        demo file I posted earlier. Change the h1 styling segment to read:

        #main h1 {
        margin-bottom: 1em;
        margin-top: 0em;
        font-size: 2em;
        font-family: "Times New Roman",Times,serif;
        border: 1px solid #cccccc;
        background-color: #660000;
        padding-top: 0.25em;
        color: white;
        text-align: center;
        padding-bottom: 0.25em;
        }

        There's a lot more there than a bit of bottom margin to replace the
        attribute that you are currently using, but with your current method
        you'd have to go through every page and change the code. With CSS
        every page alters with just the change to the CSS file.

        And that definitely is more than enough for you to chew on! :-)

        Greg
      • Michael Rawley
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
          Hi Joe,

          Let me add my two penniworth. As has been said, Frames are on their way
          out. The reason that they still work is that if browsers no longer react
          to them, too many webmasters are going to have to burn the the midnight oil.

          At the same time you can't get too up-to-date because browsers have not
          caught up to the latest standards, apart from which some people still
          use out-of-date browsers.

          In my web writing tutorial, I have tried to keep to the latest standards
          that on the whole work in most browsers. Having said that, we are due to
          get a new standard during this year!

          Regards,

          Michael,
          www.normist.co.uk
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
            Hi Michael,

            On 01 Mar 10 09:14 Michael Rawley <rawley@...> said:

            > we are due to get a new standard during this year!

            Even more reason for recommending that any new project should be done
            to a HTML4.01 STRICT doctype then! (i.e. No Frames!)

            Once browsers have caught up to handle it, the job of updating to th
            new standard will be so much easier. No point in setting yourself up
            for another complete re-build in a couple of years time.

            (My understanding is that HTML5 will not require a major rebuild of
            existing 4.01 STRICT code. It will just add a few bells and whistles
            to make some popular features easy to implement, e.g. rounded corners
            will no longer require a host of miniature graphics to implement.)

            Greg Chapman
            http://www.gregtutor.plus.com
            Helping new users of KompoZer and The GIMP
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
              Greg Chapman wrote:
              > Even more reason for recommending that any new project should be done
              > to a HTML4.01 STRICT doctype then! (i.e. No Frames!)

              Not quite. <FRAME> and <FRAMESET> are alowed neither in strict nor in
              transitional but only in frameset. I do not use strict myself, because I
              insist on being able to use tags like <CENTER> and attributes like ALIGN
              for a little minimal styling in browsers without CSS support - I test my
              pages in Netscape 4.8. But apart from that I adhere to the strict rules
              even if not binding myself to them.

              Apart from that I wholeheartedly agree about frames. The resize exremely
              badly with the window size and they make it impossible to bookmark
              relevant pages, both hurting the visitor very much. Even if not using
              SSI, Notetab makes it extremely easy to do the same change in a whole
              bunch of pages in one go, thus invalidating the main reason for them.

              Axel
            • Marcelo Bastos
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
                Tidy is a great tool and I use it a lot. Unfortunately, the official
                version is still stuck in HTML 4/XHTML, so attempting to use HTML5
                elements causes a lot of noise in the error log.

                But of course, being free software, somebody is taking care of this
                problem. An experimental fork of Tidy is being developed here:

                http://w3c.github.com/tidy-html5/

                A Windows build (dated from April, so not the latest cutting-edge thing,
                but probably acceptable) can be found here:

                http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/

                It's supposedly not production quality software, but it might be useful
                anyway.

                --
                MCBastos

                -=-=-
                ... Sent from my rotary-dial phone.
              • Adrien Verlee
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
                  Op 5/08/2012 20:35, Marcelo Bastos schreef:

                  > http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/

                  That webpage seems to be a security risk, it is blocked by Microsoft
                  Security Essentials

                  --
                  Adrien
                • Marcelo Bastos
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
                    Interviewed by CNN on 05/08/2012 15:51, Adrien Verlee told the world:
                    > Op 5/08/2012 20:35, Marcelo Bastos schreef:
                    >
                    >> http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/
                    >>
                    > That webpage seems to be a security risk, it is blocked by Microsoft
                    > Security Essentials

                    You're right, I checked and Google Safe Browsing gives a warning too,
                    but the full diagnostic page is a bit ambivalent about it:

                    <http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/&hl=en>

                    I didn't notice any problems, but then, I have NoScript blocking most
                    scripts... Avast didn't complain either. I think they got hacked at some
                    point in the past and some script was trying to install malware. Perhaps
                    it's fixed now and the site just wasn't cleared from the blacklists
                    yet. It's probably a bad idea to visit it with vanilla Internet
                    Explorer, particularly older version, anyway.

                    But the Tidy binary itself seems to be OK; I uploaded it to Virustotal
                    and it got a totally clean bill of health -- 0 alerts from 40 antivirus
                    products.

                    --
                    MCBastos

                    -=-=-