Re: [NH] Working with frame sets...

    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 27, 2010
      Joe wrote:
      > <FRAME NAME= "main" SRC= "F_Opening.htm">
      <snip>
      >•  <A HREF="F_Opening.htm" TARGET= "Main" >Home
      >Page</A><br><br>
      >•  <A HREF="F_Thanks.htm" TARGET= "Main" >A Special
      >Thanks</A><br><br>
      >•  <A HREF="Stations_Stems.htm" TARGET= "Main" >Stem
      >& Station Molds</A><br><br>

      The links open in a new window, right? The value of "name" is case
      sensitive. You've named the frame "main" but target "Main". So the
      browser opens a new named window, same as it would if you wrote
      target=Lotta" or target="Joe". Simple as that. :-)

      Lotta
    • woodysnomad
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 27, 2010
        OH YEAH... The case sensitive problem fixed about everything for now. I will finish updated some other files before proceeding with more new stuff. THANKS... I still would like to known where I put the <BASE TARGET =<main> to eliminate the need for the TARGET in each of the sections. It would simplify the code.... Off to sleep now...

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 27, 2010
          Joe wrote:
          >I still would like to known where I put the <BASE TARGET =<main> to
          >eliminate the need for the TARGET in each of the sections.

          In HEAD. Of F_NavList.htm .

          Lotta
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
            Hi Wood,

            On 28 Feb 10 02:14 "woodysnomad" <jmgledhill@...> said:
            > I have a web site showing how I am building a cedar stripper canoe.

            I'm sure the guys at UK-HBBR ( http://ukhbbr.wordpress.com/ ) would be
            please to hear from you!

            > I want to convert my site to a frameset format with 2 vertical
            > frames
            > Any ideas?

            Yes! Don't!

            Frames are an extremely last century way of doing things. Search
            engines don't perform well with frames. Visitors get left without the
            menu to navigate the site. The site will be a nightmare in any modern
            tabbed browser.

            You'd be much better off with a page set in divisions, and styled with
            CSS using the appropriate tag for your menu, a list.

            Save the contents of the code between the double lines in an file with
            an HTML extension and load it in your browser for a demo of what I
            have in mind. If this approach appeals - It should! - I'm happy to
            talk you through an explanation of every line of code if it shouldn't
            make sense to you.

            <head>
            http-equiv="content-type">

            <title>Master Page</title>
            body {
            margin: 0;
            color: #660000;
            background-color: #999966;
            font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
            }
            #sidebar {
            float: left;
            width: 150px;
            background-color: #cccccc;
            position: fixed;
            height: 100%;
            }
            #sidebar p {
            font-weight: bold;
            text-align: center;
            }
            #main {
            padding-left: 5px;
            padding-right: 5px;
            margin-left: 150px;
            }
            #vmenu {
            font-weight: bold;
            text-align: center;
            font-size: 0.8em;
            width: 115px;
            margin-left: auto;
            margin-right: auto;
            }
            #vmenu ul {
            margin: 0;
            padding: 0;
            line-height: 2em;
            list-style-type: none;
            }
            #vmenu li, #vmenu a:hover {
            color: white;
            background-color: #660000;
            }
            #vmenu a {
            color: #660000;
            background-color: #999966;
            display: block;
            text-decoration: none;
            }
            #main h1 {
            margin-bottom: 0em;
            margin-top: 0em;
            font-size: 2em;
            font-family: "Times New Roman",Times,serif;
            }

            </head>

            <ul>
            <li>HOME</li>

            </ul>

            <h1>Page Title</h1>

            scrollbar appear.</p>

            text. Here is the main text. Here is the main text. Here is the main
            text. Here is the main text. Here is the main text. Here is the main
            text. Here is the main text.</p>

[...]

            Greg Chapman
          • jmgledhill
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
              Hi, Greg...

              I ran your code as suggested and it worked fine! That is what I want and I
              assume that the left side will not scroll where the right side will? I got
              great help on the frames and it is working well to so why do you feel it is
              an obsolete technique? Others seem to thing what I have done so far is OK.
              I am reading up on div but and I do plan on using the li for the menu items
              later after I get other stuff fixed in css.

              Now my latest: This css doesn't work... I don't know why and am going
              nuts... Here is my code and I'm hoping you will look at at and tell me why
              it won't work.

              Thanks, Joe

              <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
              "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
              <HTML>
              <HEAD>
              <TITLE>CSS Master</TITLE>
              </HEAD>
              <LINK REL="StyleSheet" HREF="Style4.css" TYPE="text/css">
              <BODY>

              <STYLE>
              <!--
              BODY {background-color:#999966;
              color:#660000;
              font-family:Tahoma,Sans-serif;
              font-weight:bold;
              font-size:95%; }
              -->
              </STYLE>

              <STYLE>
              <!--
              a:link {color:#660000; background:transparent; font-weight:bold;
              font-family:Tahoma,Sans-serif; }
              a:visited {color:#000000; background:transparent; font-weight:bold;
              font-family:Tahoma,Sans-serif; }
              a:active {color:#663333; backround:transparent; font-weight:bold;
              font-family:Tahoma,Sans-serif; }
              -->
              </STYLE>

              </BODY>
              </HTML>

            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
                much nicer if you simply post your page and then give us a link
                beats long pastes etc. and we can see it in context

                > Now my latest: This css doesn't work... I don't know why and am going
                > nuts... Here is my code and I'm hoping you will look at at and tell me why
                > it won't work.
              • woodysnomad
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
                  How would I do that? I am working in NoteTab Pro on my computer and the pages have not been forwarded to the comcast server until they are working ones.

                  --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                  > much nicer if you simply post your page and then give us a link
                  > beats long pastes etc. and we can see it in context
                  >
                  > > Now my latest: This css doesn't work... I don't know why and am going
                  > > nuts... Here is my code and I'm hoping you will look at at and tell me why
                  > > it won't work.

                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
                    post the broken page to comcast like
                    create a directory called "test" or "demo" and put the broken pages
                    there and then we can trouble shoot them

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
                      Hi Joe,

                      On 01 Mar 10 01:31 "jmgledhill" <jmgledhill@...> said:
                      > I ran your code as suggested and it worked fine! That is what I
                      > want and I assume that the left side will not scroll where the right
                      > side will?

                      So you didn't do what the first paragraph suggested and reduce the
                      size of your window or add more content to the page? :-)

                      > I got great help on the frames and it is working well to so why do
                      > you feel it is an obsolete technique?

                      The specs for HTML 4.01 were published in December 1999, so have been
                      around for over ten years. The W3C would have expected all new sites
                      constructed since then to use the STRICT doctype. That specification
                      bans the use of FRAMESET, FRAME and NOFRAME, so you cannot produce a
                      site that uses them and have code that will pass validation.

                      The TRANSITIONAL doctype that you are currently using does allow them,
                      but was only intended to be used for updating an existing site. Ten
                      years on and a complete rebuild of the type you are contemplating
                      should prompt you to use best practice coding techniques.

                      While it's true that most modern browsers are exceedingly forgving in
                      handling invalid and elderly code, so that many people will say "Why
                      bother?", but a further reason for using the best modern pratice is to
                      allow for new technologies that have developed since 1999. These days
                      more many people are using PDAs Smartphones, netbooks, etc, to access
                      the web and some of these devices do not handle old coding techniques,
                      like frames, as well as a browser on a desktop computer.

                      > Others seem to thing what I have done so far is OK.

                      Others have, perhaps, chosen simply to answer your questions rather
                      than open a can of worms by advising on the best approach. Answering a
                      question in the form that you know a questioner will be able to
                      implement is less hassle than challenging their whole approach. Who
                      can blame them for going for the easy life? :-)

                      > I am reading up on div but and I do plan on using the li for the
                      > menu items later after I get other stuff fixed in css.

                      It's good to know that you are reading up on DIVs. I saw that your
                      current site uses a minimal external stylesheet, so I know you know
                      how to implement one. Using <divs> and CSS should prove to be a
                      trivial bit of new learning but with a fundamental impact on the
                      quality of your site building. My demo file used an internal
                      stylesheet, but I would expect you to export it as a separate file
                      when used in your updated site.

                      I am assuming that when you say you are fixing things in CSS you are
                      planning to take the opportunity to remove all those BLOCKQUOTE and BR
                      tags. You seem to use these elements a lot to produce indentation and
                      breaks between paragraphs. I would urge you to use the appropriate <p>
                      tags for your body text and use CSS to add any non-standard margins
                      where you want them (e.g. add a margin in your CSS for <h1> instead of
                      adding a <br>). Use of appropriate tags, can help with search engine
                      rankings.

                      Now that's probably far more than you wanted to handle, but I think
                      will bring your coding quality on in leaps an bounds. :-)

                      OK, one more example snippet of code to add to the stylesheet on that
                      demo file I posted earlier. Change the h1 styling segment to read:

                      #main h1 {
                      margin-bottom: 1em;
                      margin-top: 0em;
                      font-size: 2em;
                      font-family: "Times New Roman",Times,serif;
                      border: 1px solid #cccccc;
                      background-color: #660000;
                      padding-top: 0.25em;
                      color: white;
                      text-align: center;
                      padding-bottom: 0.25em;
                      }

                      There's a lot more there than a bit of bottom margin to replace the
                      attribute that you are currently using, but with your current method
                      you'd have to go through every page and change the code. With CSS
                      every page alters with just the change to the CSS file.

                      And that definitely is more than enough for you to chew on! :-)

                      Greg
                    • Michael Rawley
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 1 1:14 AM
                        Hi Joe,

                        Let me add my two penniworth. As has been said, Frames are on their way
                        out. The reason that they still work is that if browsers no longer react
                        to them, too many webmasters are going to have to burn the the midnight oil.

                        At the same time you can't get too up-to-date because browsers have not
                        caught up to the latest standards, apart from which some people still
                        use out-of-date browsers.

                        In my web writing tutorial, I have tried to keep to the latest standards
                        that on the whole work in most browsers. Having said that, we are due to
                        get a new standard during this year!

                        Regards,

                        Michael,
                        www.normist.co.uk
                      • Greg Chapman
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 1 1:48 AM
                          Hi Michael,

                          On 01 Mar 10 09:14 Michael Rawley <rawley@...> said:

                          > we are due to get a new standard during this year!

                          Even more reason for recommending that any new project should be done
                          to a HTML4.01 STRICT doctype then! (i.e. No Frames!)

                          Once browsers have caught up to handle it, the job of updating to th
                          new standard will be so much easier. No point in setting yourself up
                          for another complete re-build in a couple of years time.

                          (My understanding is that HTML5 will not require a major rebuild of
                          existing 4.01 STRICT code. It will just add a few bells and whistles
                          to make some popular features easy to implement, e.g. rounded corners
                          will no longer require a host of miniature graphics to implement.)

                          Greg Chapman
                          http://www.gregtutor.plus.com
                          Helping new users of KompoZer and The GIMP
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 1 3:38 AM
                            Greg Chapman wrote:
                            > Even more reason for recommending that any new project should be done
                            > to a HTML4.01 STRICT doctype then! (i.e. No Frames!)

                            Not quite. <FRAME> and <FRAMESET> are alowed neither in strict nor in
                            transitional but only in frameset. I do not use strict myself, because I
                            insist on being able to use tags like <CENTER> and attributes like ALIGN
                            for a little minimal styling in browsers without CSS support - I test my
                            pages in Netscape 4.8. But apart from that I adhere to the strict rules
                            even if not binding myself to them.

                            Apart from that I wholeheartedly agree about frames. The resize exremely
                            badly with the window size and they make it impossible to bookmark
                            relevant pages, both hurting the visitor very much. Even if not using
                            SSI, Notetab makes it extremely easy to do the same change in a whole
                            bunch of pages in one go, thus invalidating the main reason for them.

                            Axel
                          • Marcelo Bastos
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
                              Tidy is a great tool and I use it a lot. Unfortunately, the official
                              version is still stuck in HTML 4/XHTML, so attempting to use HTML5
                              elements causes a lot of noise in the error log.

                              But of course, being free software, somebody is taking care of this
                              problem. An experimental fork of Tidy is being developed here:

                              http://w3c.github.com/tidy-html5/

                              A Windows build (dated from April, so not the latest cutting-edge thing,
                              but probably acceptable) can be found here:

                              http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/

                              It's supposedly not production quality software, but it might be useful
                              anyway.

                              --
                              MCBastos

                              -=-=-
                              ... Sent from my rotary-dial phone.
                            • Adrien Verlee
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
                                Op 5/08/2012 20:35, Marcelo Bastos schreef:

                                > http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/

                                That webpage seems to be a security risk, it is blocked by Microsoft
                                Security Essentials

                                --
                                Adrien
                              • Marcelo Bastos
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
                                  Interviewed by CNN on 05/08/2012 15:51, Adrien Verlee told the world:
                                  > Op 5/08/2012 20:35, Marcelo Bastos schreef:
                                  >
                                  >> http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/
                                  >>
                                  > That webpage seems to be a security risk, it is blocked by Microsoft
                                  > Security Essentials

                                  You're right, I checked and Google Safe Browsing gives a warning too,
                                  but the full diagnostic page is a bit ambivalent about it:

                                  <http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/&hl=en>

                                  I didn't notice any problems, but then, I have NoScript blocking most
                                  scripts... Avast didn't complain either. I think they got hacked at some
                                  point in the past and some script was trying to install malware. Perhaps
                                  it's fixed now and the site just wasn't cleared from the blacklists
                                  yet. It's probably a bad idea to visit it with vanilla Internet
                                  Explorer, particularly older version, anyway.

                                  But the Tidy binary itself seems to be OK; I uploaded it to Virustotal
                                  and it got a totally clean bill of health -- 0 alerts from 40 antivirus
                                  products.

                                  --
                                  MCBastos

                                  -=-=-