RE: [NH] OK, thanks...

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010
      In addition to the free version, you can download the Pro version and use it in Trial mode for a month, I believe.
      Nearly every clip will run on all three versions. The main advantage of the pro version for me is the ability to display
      non-printing characters. You can distinguish CR's of various types, tabs, spaces, and even detect where Unicode
      characters exist which don't show even with show nonprinting characters active. Like, for example \x1.

      Regards,

      John

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010
        If there are no line breaks in your lines, you can use this simpler version (because it will not wrap around lines):

        <li\>.*?help </li\>

        It is not clear whether you have a space before the close tag (as the sample has). If you do, you should write it this
        way:

        <li\>.*?help\x20?</li\>

        The question mark means one or zero spaces.

        You can learn some of the regex usage from the help system, but there are better tutorials on the web. Search for Regex
        Buddy, for one tool.

        Regards,

        John

        using regular experession, and it deleted every line item on the page,
        not just the ones ending with the word help!

        now that I have the updated program where do I look to learn this function,
        and what is it called?

        Thanks again..
        Ayla

        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-html%40yahoogroups.com> , Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

        > ayla_z wrote:
        > > Unable to upgrade, no funds til Feb 1st.
        > > Will have to do it manually...ugh...
        >
        > For what you are trying to achieve, the free version will suffice. I
        > really think the professional version is worth it, but the free one does
        > a lot already.
        >
        > Axel

      • Rudolf Horbas
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010
          Am Di, 12.01.2010, 18:57 schrieb ayla_z:
          > I forgot abpout the LIGHT version...
          > OK, I downloaded and entered
          > (?s)\<li\>.*?help \</li\>
          >
          > using regular experession, and it deleted every line item on the page,
          > not just the ones ending with the word help!

          I don't know about the (?s) at the beginning; if there are whitespaces,
          you could also try just a whitespace followed by a "*": " *" which would
          mean: All occurrences of " " if there are any.
          The "?" before "help" is not necessary/has a special (unwanted) meaning.

          So the expression would be:
          ^ *\<li\>.*help *\</li\>$

          or

          ^ *\<li\>.*help *\</li\>\r\n

          to get rid of the blank lines.

          (I'm on a linux machine at the moment and can't test, but I'm rather sure
          the expressions will work.)

          I translate into speech: "Match all lines that maybe start with one or
          more whitespaces, followed by '<li>', followed by any string, followed by
          the string 'help', maybe followed by one or more whitespaces, followed by
          the string '</li>'".

          In the second example, add: "Followed by a return and a newline".

          > now that I have the updated program where do I look to learn this
          > function,
          > and what is it called?

          It's "regular expressions", or short: "regex". It's not unique to NoteTab;
          many programs know them (although there are some differences).

          Try to google "regex tutorial" or "regular expressions tutorial", you'll
          find a lot of information on the subject. There's also an O'Reilly book by
          Jefrey Friedl, but that's maybe a bit much for starters.

          Start slowly, your knowledge will grow quickly. And soon you'll wonder how
          you've ever worked without them!

          Important, also for your present problem: There is always more than one
          way to solve a problem in regex!
        • ayla_z
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010
            You have all been very helpful.
            I will now retreat and study all this.
            Thank you for your assistance.
            Ayla
          • Jeff S
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2010
              Yep, this is a very helpful group!

              One more thing that may help your general understanding of regular expressions, which as others have said is an especially powerful editing tool. A tutorial:

              http://gnosis.cx/publish/programming/regular_expressions.html

              Excerpt (this is important): "There are a few variations in regular expression syntax between different tools that use them. Some tools add enhanced capabilities that are not available everywhere. In general, for the simplest cases, this tutorial will use examples based around grep or sed [both Linux programs]. For a few more exotic capabilities, Perl or Python examples will be chosen. For the most part, examples will work anywhere; but check the documentation on your own tool for syntax variations and capabilities."

              A working knowledge of regular expressions will make you an editor to be reckoned with in ANY context!

              Best wishes,
              Jeff Seager

              --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "ayla_z" <Ayla2007@...> wrote:

              > You have all been very helpful.
              > I will now retreat and study all this.
              > Thank you for your assistance.
              > Ayla

            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2010
                There is also a notetab clips Yahoo group which is very helpful, and has a lot of clips available for download.

                John