Re: [NH] How do I search and replace (delete) all these?

  • ayla_z
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
      I feel foolish, but I do not know what you mean by
      "with Regular Expression checked"

      I am using version 4.5
      when I use ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
      it says not found.

      here is a sample of what I am trying to get rid of
      (there are hundreds of them):

      <li><
      href="http://www.domain.com/example-help.p
      hp">EXAMPLE help </li>

      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Horbas" <rhorbas@...> wrote:

      > Am Di, 12.01.2010, 17:13 schrieb ayla_z:
      > > I have a file with hundred of line items to delete
      > > where the ? are in the line below they each have
      > > completely different information..
      > >
      > > <li>???????????????????help </li>
      > >
      > > Is there a way to tell NoteTabPro 4.5 to delete everything
      > > that starts with "<li>" and ends with "help </li>"
      >
      > That's very simple:
      > Edit -> Replace:
      > Search:
      > ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
      >
      > Replace:
      > (Nothing)
      >
      > with Regular Expression checked.
      >
      > The expression above produces a blank line.
      > If you also want the whole line deleted, try:
      > ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>\r\n
      >
      > or
      >
      > ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>\n
      >
      > depending on the line endings in your file.
      >
      > I can't test the expression myself right now, but it should work OK.
      >
      > HTH,
      > Rudi

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
        are they all on one line?

        <li>this is all on one line</li>

        when you hit search and replace look at bottom center of the dialog
        there is a little box that says Regular Exp.
        check that or the code given has no hope of working

        try mine first without the ^ and $ in it ...

        If it is not all on one line than you need a different statement

        ayla_z wrote:
        > I feel foolish, but I do not know what you mean by
        > "with Regular Expression checked"
        >
        > I am using version 4.5
        > when I use ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
        > it says not found.
        >
        > here is a sample of what I am trying to get rid of
        > (there are hundreds of them):
        >
        > <li><
        > href="http://www.domain.com/example-help.p
        > hp">EXAMPLE help </li>
        >

        > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Horbas" <rhorbas@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Am Di, 12.01.2010, 17:13 schrieb ayla_z:
        >>> I have a file with hundred of line items to delete
        >>> where the ? are in the line below they each have
        >>> completely different information..
        >>>
        >>> <li>???????????????????help </li>
        >>>
        >>> Is there a way to tell NoteTabPro 4.5 to delete everything
        >>> that starts with "<li>" and ends with "help </li>"
        >> That's very simple:
        >> Edit -> Replace:
        >> Search:
        >> ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
        >>
        >> Replace:
        >> (Nothing)
        >>
        >> with Regular Expression checked.
        >>
        >> The expression above produces a blank line.
        >> If you also want the whole line deleted, try:
        >> ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>\r\n
        >>
        >> or
        >>
        >> ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>\n
        >>
        >> depending on the line endings in your file.
        >>
        >> I can't test the expression myself right now, but it should work OK.
        >>
        >> HTH,
        >> Rudi

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
          if is on more than one line, this will work:
          (?s)\<li\>.*?help \</li\>
          at least it does in later versions of notetab.

          One of the most significant advances in notetab has been in this exact
          area which is why I suggest you update.

          ayla_z wrote:
          > I feel foolish, but I do not know what you mean by
          > "with Regular Expression checked"
          >
          > I am using version 4.5
          > when I use ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
          > it says not found.
          >
          > here is a sample of what I am trying to get rid of
          > (there are hundreds of them):
          >
          > <li><
          > href="http://www.domain.com/example-help.p
          > hp">EXAMPLE help </li>

        • Rudolf Horbas
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
            Am Di, 12.01.2010, 17:44 schrieb ayla_z:

            > I feel foolish, but I do not know what you mean by
            > "with Regular Expression checked"

            You'd have to activate the option "Regular Expression" in the search dialog.

            > I am using version 4.5
            > when I use ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
            > it says not found.

            No wonder if the option mentioned above is not checked.

            I also dind't see that you're in an older version. I'm not 100 % sure, but
            in 4.5 the expression might have been:

            ^<li>.*help <\/li>$

            > here is a sample of what I am trying to get rid of
            > (there are hundreds of them):
            >
            > <li><
            > href="http://www.domain.com/example-help.p
            > hp">EXAMPLE help </li>

            * is each <li></li> in one line, or are there line breaks in between?
            In the latter case, the Regex is a bit harder.

            * are there really whitespaces before the <li>?
            In that case, the expression could be like:

            ^ *<li>.*help <\/li>$

            To the others in the list:
            For 4.5, were the line start and line end really ^ and $, or am I
            remembering this wrong?

            Maybe you really should update to version 5 ...

            Rudi