Re: [NH] How do I search and replace (delete) all these?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
      yes Rudolf did what I planned to do ... if the li is the first and last
      thing on each line add the ^ at the start and the $ at the end.
      I hit send before I meant to :-)

      I think you need \r\n at the end if you want to get rid of extra returns
      or you can use \R in the current rendition of notetab, but not in 4.x I
      don't believe.

      Again you really would do yourself a favor to upgrade the program.

      Rudolf Horbas wrote:
      > Am Di, 12.01.2010, 17:13 schrieb ayla_z:
      >> I have a file with hundred of line items to delete
      >> where the ? are in the line below they each have
      >> completely different information..
      >>
      >> <li>???????????????????help </li>
      >>
      >> Is there a way to tell NoteTabPro 4.5 to delete everything
      >> that starts with "<li>" and ends with "help </li>"
      >
      > That's very simple:
      > Edit -> Replace:
      > Search:
      > ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
      >
      > Replace:
      > (Nothing)
      >
      > with Regular Expression checked.
      >
      > The expression above produces a blank line.
      > If you also want the whole line deleted, try:
      > ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>\r\n
      >
      > or
      >
      > ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>\n
      >
      > depending on the line endings in your file.
      >
      > I can't test the expression myself right now, but it should work OK.
      >
      > HTH,
      > Rudi

    • ayla_z
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
        I feel foolish, but I do not know what you mean by
        "with Regular Expression checked"

        I am using version 4.5
        when I use ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
        it says not found.

        here is a sample of what I am trying to get rid of
        (there are hundreds of them):

        <li><
        href="http://www.domain.com/example-help.p
        hp">EXAMPLE help </li>

        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Horbas" <rhorbas@...> wrote:

        > Am Di, 12.01.2010, 17:13 schrieb ayla_z:
        > > I have a file with hundred of line items to delete
        > > where the ? are in the line below they each have
        > > completely different information..
        > >
        > > <li>???????????????????help </li>
        > >
        > > Is there a way to tell NoteTabPro 4.5 to delete everything
        > > that starts with "<li>" and ends with "help </li>"
        >
        > That's very simple:
        > Edit -> Replace:
        > Search:
        > ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
        >
        > Replace:
        > (Nothing)
        >
        > with Regular Expression checked.
        >
        > The expression above produces a blank line.
        > If you also want the whole line deleted, try:
        > ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>\r\n
        >
        > or
        >
        > ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>\n
        >
        > depending on the line endings in your file.
        >
        > I can't test the expression myself right now, but it should work OK.
        >
        > HTH,
        > Rudi

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
          are they all on one line?

          <li>this is all on one line</li>

          when you hit search and replace look at bottom center of the dialog
          there is a little box that says Regular Exp.
          check that or the code given has no hope of working

          try mine first without the ^ and $ in it ...

          If it is not all on one line than you need a different statement

          ayla_z wrote:
          > I feel foolish, but I do not know what you mean by
          > "with Regular Expression checked"
          >
          > I am using version 4.5
          > when I use ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
          > it says not found.
          >
          > here is a sample of what I am trying to get rid of
          > (there are hundreds of them):
          >
          > <li><
          > href="http://www.domain.com/example-help.p
          > hp">EXAMPLE help </li>
          >

          > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Horbas" <rhorbas@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Am Di, 12.01.2010, 17:13 schrieb ayla_z:
          >>> I have a file with hundred of line items to delete
          >>> where the ? are in the line below they each have
          >>> completely different information..
          >>>
          >>> <li>???????????????????help </li>
          >>>
          >>> Is there a way to tell NoteTabPro 4.5 to delete everything
          >>> that starts with "<li>" and ends with "help </li>"
          >> That's very simple:
          >> Edit -> Replace:
          >> Search:
          >> ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
          >>
          >> Replace:
          >> (Nothing)
          >>
          >> with Regular Expression checked.
          >>
          >> The expression above produces a blank line.
          >> If you also want the whole line deleted, try:
          >> ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>\r\n
          >>
          >> or
          >>
          >> ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>\n
          >>
          >> depending on the line endings in your file.
          >>
          >> I can't test the expression myself right now, but it should work OK.
          >>
          >> HTH,
          >> Rudi

        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
            if is on more than one line, this will work:
            (?s)\<li\>.*?help \</li\>
            at least it does in later versions of notetab.

            One of the most significant advances in notetab has been in this exact
            area which is why I suggest you update.

            ayla_z wrote:
            > I feel foolish, but I do not know what you mean by
            > "with Regular Expression checked"
            >
            > I am using version 4.5
            > when I use ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
            > it says not found.
            >
            > here is a sample of what I am trying to get rid of
            > (there are hundreds of them):
            >
            > <li><
            > href="http://www.domain.com/example-help.p
            > hp">EXAMPLE help </li>

          • Rudolf Horbas
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
              Am Di, 12.01.2010, 17:44 schrieb ayla_z:

              > I feel foolish, but I do not know what you mean by
              > "with Regular Expression checked"

              You'd have to activate the option "Regular Expression" in the search dialog.

              > I am using version 4.5
              > when I use ^\<li\>.*help \<\/li\>$
              > it says not found.

              No wonder if the option mentioned above is not checked.

              I also dind't see that you're in an older version. I'm not 100 % sure, but
              in 4.5 the expression might have been:

              ^<li>.*help <\/li>$

              > here is a sample of what I am trying to get rid of
              > (there are hundreds of them):
              >
              > <li><
              > href="http://www.domain.com/example-help.p
              > hp">EXAMPLE help </li>

              * is each <li></li> in one line, or are there line breaks in between?
              In the latter case, the Regex is a bit harder.

              * are there really whitespaces before the <li>?
              In that case, the expression could be like:

              ^ *<li>.*help <\/li>$

              To the others in the list:
              For 4.5, were the line start and line end really ^ and $, or am I
              remembering this wrong?

              Maybe you really should update to version 5 ...

              Rudi