Re: [NH] Re: Just learning HTML, wanting to follow XHTML rules (to M. Rawley)

  • Michael Rawley
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hi All,

      Just for fun, I copied a 3 KB html page into Microsoft word (ctrl-C -->
      ctrl-V) and saved it as a web page. It had stretched to 26 KB with all
      the junk that it had added. When I tried to validate it using CSE, the
      validator seized up. It gives up after detecting 50 errors!!

      regards,

      Michael Rawley
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
        Hi Michael,

        On 04 Jan 10 10:39 Michael Rawley <rawley@...> said:
        > Just for fun, I copied a 3 KB html page into Microsoft word (ctrl-C
        > --> ctrl-V) and saved it as a web page. It had stretched to 26 KB
        > with all the junk that it had added. When I tried to validate it
        > using CSE, the validator seized up. It gives up after detecting 50
        > errors!!

        Thats because when Microsoft discovered HTML they were still thinking
        that everyone would join MSN their own private network - much like
        Compuserve's and the early AOL.

        They decided that everyone should be able to post their documents,
        created with WORD, on MSN, and then others would be able to download
        these pages and re-create the WORD document that originally produced
        it. They called this "round-tripping".

        So all that garbage has nothing to do with web standards and
        validation but rather is Microsoft's solution to getting back a word
        processing file from an MSN page (with all the additional facilities
        that such documents contain and HTML documents lack).

        Here ends the ancient history lesson!

        Greg
      • Blaine Clark
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
          Another word about WORD, for those who use WORD to draft posts for
          WordPress, then paste the result into a WordPress app; That can cause
          WordPress to scramble rendering where the start and end tags are through
          complete and utter confusion. Try straightening that kind of mess out
          after it's hit the fan! (Sorry if that seems WORDy!)
          I use a clip to strip the extra tags out when I run across WORD to HTM
          disasters. It's not a good clip, I'm not up on using RegEx like I
          should, so it's a cumbersome clip that I have to run at least twice on
          each file, plus I use NoteTab crippled under Ubuntu/Wine. Which reminds
          me ... how often I've wished that NoteTab would be made compatible with
          Linux!!!

          Maybe for Christmas next year?
          Oh pleeeaaassse Santa?