Re: [NH] Re: Just learning HTML, wanting to follow XHTML rules (to M. Rawley)

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
      Marty wrote:
      > I KISS everyday

      If you want to see something really nasty then look at what happens in
      those scripted browser entries to CMSs when people draft in Microsoft
      Word and copy and paste into there. An unbelievable jumble of
      meaningless tags piled one on top of the other.

      Axel
    • Michael Rawley
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
        Hi All,

        Just for fun, I copied a 3 KB html page into Microsoft word (ctrl-C -->
        ctrl-V) and saved it as a web page. It had stretched to 26 KB with all
        the junk that it had added. When I tried to validate it using CSE, the
        validator seized up. It gives up after detecting 50 errors!!

        regards,

        Michael Rawley
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
          Hi Michael,

          On 04 Jan 10 10:39 Michael Rawley <rawley@...> said:
          > Just for fun, I copied a 3 KB html page into Microsoft word (ctrl-C
          > --> ctrl-V) and saved it as a web page. It had stretched to 26 KB
          > with all the junk that it had added. When I tried to validate it
          > using CSE, the validator seized up. It gives up after detecting 50
          > errors!!

          Thats because when Microsoft discovered HTML they were still thinking
          that everyone would join MSN their own private network - much like
          Compuserve's and the early AOL.

          They decided that everyone should be able to post their documents,
          created with WORD, on MSN, and then others would be able to download
          these pages and re-create the WORD document that originally produced
          it. They called this "round-tripping".

          So all that garbage has nothing to do with web standards and
          validation but rather is Microsoft's solution to getting back a word
          processing file from an MSN page (with all the additional facilities
          that such documents contain and HTML documents lack).

          Here ends the ancient history lesson!

          Greg
        • Blaine Clark
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
            Another word about WORD, for those who use WORD to draft posts for
            WordPress, then paste the result into a WordPress app; That can cause
            WordPress to scramble rendering where the start and end tags are through
            complete and utter confusion. Try straightening that kind of mess out
            after it's hit the fan! (Sorry if that seems WORDy!)
            I use a clip to strip the extra tags out when I run across WORD to HTM
            disasters. It's not a good clip, I'm not up on using RegEx like I
            should, so it's a cumbersome clip that I have to run at least twice on
            each file, plus I use NoteTab crippled under Ubuntu/Wine. Which reminds
            me ... how often I've wished that NoteTab would be made compatible with
            Linux!!!

            Maybe for Christmas next year?
            Oh pleeeaaassse Santa?