Re: [NH] Just learning HTML, wanting to follow XHTML rules

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
      fo2resthawkins wrote:
      > Is it silly to want to do this?

      Absolutely not! If xhtml is what you declare and waht you want to write,
      then correct and conformant xhtml is what you should write.

      Axel
    • Bruce Meyers
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
        Michael,

        I copied and pasted   www.normist.co.uk into my browser and got the message
        that it could not be found. I typed  it in directly and still got the message that it
        could not be found.  I would like to see your course on web authoring, but I don't
        seem to be able to find your site.

        Bruce Meyers
        Hayward, Wisconsin,USA

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
          aaah, all this having been said, I use HTML, CuteFTP and I have no problems. I KISS everyday (Keep It Simple Studip). That is me, not anyone else. Having learned one system, I just don't want to have to learn another.

          Marty

          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Meyers <oldguy1166@...> wrote:

          > Michael,
          >
          > I copied and pasted   www.normist.co.uk into my browser and got the message
          > that it could not be found. I typed  it in directly and still got the message that it
          > could not be found.  I would like to see your course on web authoring, but I don't
          > seem to be able to find your site.
          >
          > Bruce Meyers
          > Hayward, Wisconsin,USA

        • Blaine Clark
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
              Marty wrote:
              > I KISS everyday

              If you want to see something really nasty then look at what happens in
              those scripted browser entries to CMSs when people draft in Microsoft
              Word and copy and paste into there. An unbelievable jumble of
              meaningless tags piled one on top of the other.

              Axel
            • Michael Rawley
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                Hi All,

                Just for fun, I copied a 3 KB html page into Microsoft word (ctrl-C -->
                ctrl-V) and saved it as a web page. It had stretched to 26 KB with all
                the junk that it had added. When I tried to validate it using CSE, the
                validator seized up. It gives up after detecting 50 errors!!

                regards,

                Michael Rawley
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                  Hi Michael,

                  On 04 Jan 10 10:39 Michael Rawley <rawley@...> said:
                  > Just for fun, I copied a 3 KB html page into Microsoft word (ctrl-C
                  > --> ctrl-V) and saved it as a web page. It had stretched to 26 KB
                  > with all the junk that it had added. When I tried to validate it
                  > using CSE, the validator seized up. It gives up after detecting 50
                  > errors!!

                  Thats because when Microsoft discovered HTML they were still thinking
                  that everyone would join MSN their own private network - much like
                  Compuserve's and the early AOL.

                  They decided that everyone should be able to post their documents,
                  created with WORD, on MSN, and then others would be able to download
                  these pages and re-create the WORD document that originally produced
                  it. They called this "round-tripping".

                  So all that garbage has nothing to do with web standards and
                  validation but rather is Microsoft's solution to getting back a word
                  processing file from an MSN page (with all the additional facilities
                  that such documents contain and HTML documents lack).

                  Here ends the ancient history lesson!

                  Greg
                • Blaine Clark
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                    Another word about WORD, for those who use WORD to draft posts for
                    WordPress, then paste the result into a WordPress app; That can cause
                    WordPress to scramble rendering where the start and end tags are through
                    complete and utter confusion. Try straightening that kind of mess out
                    after it's hit the fan! (Sorry if that seems WORDy!)
                    I use a clip to strip the extra tags out when I run across WORD to HTM
                    disasters. It's not a good clip, I'm not up on using RegEx like I
                    should, so it's a cumbersome clip that I have to run at least twice on
                    each file, plus I use NoteTab crippled under Ubuntu/Wine. Which reminds
                    me ... how often I've wished that NoteTab would be made compatible with
                    Linux!!!

                    Maybe for Christmas next year?
                    Oh pleeeaaassse Santa?