Re: [NH] Just learning HTML, wanting to follow XHTML rules

  • Bruce Meyers
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
       In NTPro -  in the menu at the top click on View, then down to Options, In the Options
      box, click on HTML Files and you will find a box that says "Create XHTML Tags"  If you click in that box, NTOri will create xhtml tags for you.

      Bruce Meyers

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
        Cary wrote:
        >fo2resthawkins wrote
        > >I posted this in basic group, but perhaps it belongs here.
        > > I notice notetab pro does not generate XHTML 'proper' code. As a newbie I
        > > would like to write what is considered proper code. Is there a relatively
        > > easy way to modify what NT generates?

        >I just use html. Even the next standard looks to be HTML 5 rather than XHTML
        >2. All people are doing when they use xhtml is basically serving mangled
        >html, because they are serving their xhtml as though it were html.

        Amen sista! (And now they'll flog us :-P)

        Anyhow, you can change if Notetab uses HTML or XHTML tags at View |
        Options |HTML Files --> Create XHTML Tags.

        Lotta
      • Michael Rawley
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
          Hi Forest,

          You might find what you are looking for at www.normist.co.uk. Explore
          the 'Home' menu and you will find a course on web authoring. If you have
          any problems, please contact me and I'll try and put you on the right path

          Regards,

          Michael.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
            fo2resthawkins wrote:
            > Is it silly to want to do this?

            Absolutely not! If xhtml is what you declare and waht you want to write,
            then correct and conformant xhtml is what you should write.

            Axel
          • Bruce Meyers
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
              Michael,

              I copied and pasted   www.normist.co.uk into my browser and got the message
              that it could not be found. I typed  it in directly and still got the message that it
              could not be found.  I would like to see your course on web authoring, but I don't
              seem to be able to find your site.

              Bruce Meyers
              Hayward, Wisconsin,USA

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
                aaah, all this having been said, I use HTML, CuteFTP and I have no problems. I KISS everyday (Keep It Simple Studip). That is me, not anyone else. Having learned one system, I just don't want to have to learn another.

                Marty

                --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Meyers <oldguy1166@...> wrote:

                > Michael,
                >
                > I copied and pasted   www.normist.co.uk into my browser and got the message
                > that it could not be found. I typed  it in directly and still got the message that it
                > could not be found.  I would like to see your course on web authoring, but I don't
                > seem to be able to find your site.
                >
                > Bruce Meyers
                > Hayward, Wisconsin,USA

              • Blaine Clark
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
                    Marty wrote:
                    > I KISS everyday

                    If you want to see something really nasty then look at what happens in
                    those scripted browser entries to CMSs when people draft in Microsoft
                    Word and copy and paste into there. An unbelievable jumble of
                    meaningless tags piled one on top of the other.

                    Axel
                  • Michael Rawley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                      Hi All,

                      Just for fun, I copied a 3 KB html page into Microsoft word (ctrl-C -->
                      ctrl-V) and saved it as a web page. It had stretched to 26 KB with all
                      the junk that it had added. When I tried to validate it using CSE, the
                      validator seized up. It gives up after detecting 50 errors!!

                      regards,

                      Michael Rawley
                    • Greg Chapman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                        Hi Michael,

                        On 04 Jan 10 10:39 Michael Rawley <rawley@...> said:
                        > Just for fun, I copied a 3 KB html page into Microsoft word (ctrl-C
                        > --> ctrl-V) and saved it as a web page. It had stretched to 26 KB
                        > with all the junk that it had added. When I tried to validate it
                        > using CSE, the validator seized up. It gives up after detecting 50
                        > errors!!

                        Thats because when Microsoft discovered HTML they were still thinking
                        that everyone would join MSN their own private network - much like
                        Compuserve's and the early AOL.

                        They decided that everyone should be able to post their documents,
                        created with WORD, on MSN, and then others would be able to download
                        these pages and re-create the WORD document that originally produced
                        it. They called this "round-tripping".

                        So all that garbage has nothing to do with web standards and
                        validation but rather is Microsoft's solution to getting back a word
                        processing file from an MSN page (with all the additional facilities
                        that such documents contain and HTML documents lack).

                        Here ends the ancient history lesson!

                        Greg
                      • Blaine Clark
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                          Another word about WORD, for those who use WORD to draft posts for
                          WordPress, then paste the result into a WordPress app; That can cause
                          WordPress to scramble rendering where the start and end tags are through
                          complete and utter confusion. Try straightening that kind of mess out
                          after it's hit the fan! (Sorry if that seems WORDy!)
                          I use a clip to strip the extra tags out when I run across WORD to HTM
                          disasters. It's not a good clip, I'm not up on using RegEx like I
                          should, so it's a cumbersome clip that I have to run at least twice on
                          each file, plus I use NoteTab crippled under Ubuntu/Wine. Which reminds
                          me ... how often I've wished that NoteTab would be made compatible with
                          Linux!!!

                          Maybe for Christmas next year?
                          Oh pleeeaaassse Santa?