Re: [NH] Just learning HTML, wanting to follow XHTML rules

  • Cary Driscoll
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
      I just use html. Even the next standard looks to be HTML 5 rather than XHTML
      2. All people are doing when they use xhtml is basically serving mangled
      html, because they are serving their xhtml as though it were html.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
         In NTPro -  in the menu at the top click on View, then down to Options, In the Options
        box, click on HTML Files and you will find a box that says "Create XHTML Tags"  If you click in that box, NTOri will create xhtml tags for you.

        Bruce Meyers

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
          Cary wrote:
          >fo2resthawkins wrote
          > >I posted this in basic group, but perhaps it belongs here.
          > > I notice notetab pro does not generate XHTML 'proper' code. As a newbie I
          > > would like to write what is considered proper code. Is there a relatively
          > > easy way to modify what NT generates?

          >I just use html. Even the next standard looks to be HTML 5 rather than XHTML
          >2. All people are doing when they use xhtml is basically serving mangled
          >html, because they are serving their xhtml as though it were html.

          Amen sista! (And now they'll flog us :-P)

          Anyhow, you can change if Notetab uses HTML or XHTML tags at View |
          Options |HTML Files --> Create XHTML Tags.

          Lotta
        • Michael Rawley
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
            Hi Forest,

            You might find what you are looking for at www.normist.co.uk. Explore
            the 'Home' menu and you will find a course on web authoring. If you have
            any problems, please contact me and I'll try and put you on the right path

            Regards,

            Michael.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
              fo2resthawkins wrote:
              > Is it silly to want to do this?

              Absolutely not! If xhtml is what you declare and waht you want to write,
              then correct and conformant xhtml is what you should write.

              Axel
            • Bruce Meyers
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
                Michael,

                I copied and pasted   www.normist.co.uk into my browser and got the message
                that it could not be found. I typed  it in directly and still got the message that it
                could not be found.  I would like to see your course on web authoring, but I don't
                seem to be able to find your site.

                Bruce Meyers
                Hayward, Wisconsin,USA

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
                  aaah, all this having been said, I use HTML, CuteFTP and I have no problems. I KISS everyday (Keep It Simple Studip). That is me, not anyone else. Having learned one system, I just don't want to have to learn another.

                  Marty

                  --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Meyers <oldguy1166@...> wrote:

                  > Michael,
                  >
                  > I copied and pasted   www.normist.co.uk into my browser and got the message
                  > that it could not be found. I typed  it in directly and still got the message that it
                  > could not be found.  I would like to see your course on web authoring, but I don't
                  > seem to be able to find your site.
                  >
                  > Bruce Meyers
                  > Hayward, Wisconsin,USA

                • Blaine Clark
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
                      Marty wrote:
                      > I KISS everyday

                      If you want to see something really nasty then look at what happens in
                      those scripted browser entries to CMSs when people draft in Microsoft
                      Word and copy and paste into there. An unbelievable jumble of
                      meaningless tags piled one on top of the other.

                      Axel
                    • Michael Rawley
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                        Hi All,

                        Just for fun, I copied a 3 KB html page into Microsoft word (ctrl-C -->
                        ctrl-V) and saved it as a web page. It had stretched to 26 KB with all
                        the junk that it had added. When I tried to validate it using CSE, the
                        validator seized up. It gives up after detecting 50 errors!!

                        regards,

                        Michael Rawley
                      • Greg Chapman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                          Hi Michael,

                          On 04 Jan 10 10:39 Michael Rawley <rawley@...> said:
                          > Just for fun, I copied a 3 KB html page into Microsoft word (ctrl-C
                          > --> ctrl-V) and saved it as a web page. It had stretched to 26 KB
                          > with all the junk that it had added. When I tried to validate it
                          > using CSE, the validator seized up. It gives up after detecting 50
                          > errors!!

                          Thats because when Microsoft discovered HTML they were still thinking
                          that everyone would join MSN their own private network - much like
                          Compuserve's and the early AOL.

                          They decided that everyone should be able to post their documents,
                          created with WORD, on MSN, and then others would be able to download
                          these pages and re-create the WORD document that originally produced
                          it. They called this "round-tripping".

                          So all that garbage has nothing to do with web standards and
                          validation but rather is Microsoft's solution to getting back a word
                          processing file from an MSN page (with all the additional facilities
                          that such documents contain and HTML documents lack).

                          Here ends the ancient history lesson!

                          Greg
                        • Blaine Clark
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                            Another word about WORD, for those who use WORD to draft posts for
                            WordPress, then paste the result into a WordPress app; That can cause
                            WordPress to scramble rendering where the start and end tags are through
                            complete and utter confusion. Try straightening that kind of mess out
                            after it's hit the fan! (Sorry if that seems WORDy!)
                            I use a clip to strip the extra tags out when I run across WORD to HTM
                            disasters. It's not a good clip, I'm not up on using RegEx like I
                            should, so it's a cumbersome clip that I have to run at least twice on
                            each file, plus I use NoteTab crippled under Ubuntu/Wine. Which reminds
                            me ... how often I've wished that NoteTab would be made compatible with
                            Linux!!!

                            Maybe for Christmas next year?
                            Oh pleeeaaassse Santa?