Re: [NH] Tidy Warning For

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2009
      Ray wrote:
      >I'm not sure how or where to add pseudo-classes. That's why I asked whether
      >they go into the style sheet or into the web page (or a little of both).

      They are CSS, so in your style sheet.

      >I said, "I get a warning that says the alink attribute is proprietary to
      >Netscape or Internet Explorer.", and Lotta replied, "That doesn't
      >make sense."
      >OK, here is the offending line (next below). I want to replace everything
      >except "<body>" with the equivalent CSS.

      Still isn't proprietary but, as said, not allowed in Strict. But I
      see below that you use Transitional, so nothing wrong with it at all.
      The HTML validates without errors.

      > As you can see above, when the page was all HTML without any
      >CSS, the alink was last in sequence.

      Yeah, but that's HTML. The order is of no importance.

      >Yes, I would like to provide for
      >link-visited-focus-hover-active. Please give me an example.

      a:link { color:red; background: inherit }
      a:visited { color: green; background: inherit }
      a:hover { color: white; background: red }

      ....and so on. You just add them one after the other. But in the right order!

      >I'll gladly include here the web page and my best current effort at producing
      >a style sheet. I've already used this style sheet for a few other pages, but
      >even my recently updated pages have the plain vanilla anchor tags without any
      >CSS treatment of the links. The web page follows the style sheet below.

      Yeah, but the link rules you posted before isn't in that style sheet.
      Nothing at all about links there.

      Lotta
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2009
        Hi Marcelo and Lotta,

        It WORKS!

        In all the variations of the style sheet I had tried, I preceded the "a" with
        a period (and sometimes other stuff too) as in the following example of
        incorrect coding:

        .a:link { color: blue }

        The fix was almost too simple. Marcelo, your style sheet snippet did the trick
        for me. I also am now using the language attribute in <body lang="en">.

        I have a long way to go to get good benefit from style sheets, but I feel I am
        making progress.

        Many thanks to you both!

        Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 6, 2009
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          >It WORKS!

          Yay! :-)

          >In all the variations of the style sheet I had tried, I preceded the "a" with
          >a period (and sometimes other stuff too) as in the following example of
          >incorrect coding:
          >
          > .a:link { color: blue }

          For the record, that would refer to a any element with the class a
          but only apply to unvisited links with the class a.

          This is one of the reasons why it's often better to show the real
          thing, just as it is. Snips get changed more often than not.

          >I also am now using the language attribute in <body lang="en">.

          It's probably better to use lang with HTML. That way you cover the
          whole document, including TITLE.

          >I have a long way to go to get good benefit from style sheets, but I
          >feel I am
          >making progress.

          You'll get there.

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 6, 2009
            loro wrote:
            > > .a:link { color: blue }
            >
            > that would refer to a any element with the class a
            > but only apply to unvisited links with the class a.

            That's not how understood it. My reading is, it applies to ALL links
            unless overridden my a more specific definition like :visited that is
            defined after it. N.B: I found this rule for remebering the correct
            sequence:

            Lord Vaders Former Handle Anakin
            Link Visited Focus Hover Active

            Axel
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 6, 2009
              Hi Lotta,

              > It's probably better to use lang with HTML. That way you cover the
              > whole document, including TITLE.

              The "<body lang="en">" line is in the C:\asterism\gallery\weasner.htm page. It
              is not in the style sheet. Is that what you mean?

              BTW, I had intended that the subject line for this thread be "Tidy Warning
              For 'aline' Anchor Attribute", but I truncated it accidentally.

              Thanks again for all the help.

              Ray Shapp
            • Cary Driscoll
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 6, 2009
                Lotta meant the attribute should be used with the HTML tag, rather than the
                BODY tag.

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 8, 2009
                  Hi Cary,

                  <<Lotta meant the attribute should be used with the HTML tag, rather than the
                  BODY tag.>>

                  Thank you for the clarification. I have made the correction.

                  Ray Shapp
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 8, 2009
                    Ray wrote:
                    ><<Lotta meant the attribute should be used with the HTML tag, rather than the
                    >BODY tag.>>
                    >
                    >Thank you for the clarification. I have made the correction.

                    Just to be clear. It wasn't an error, the way you had it.You can use
                    lang with almost anything. I just meant that if you intend it to be
                    good for the whole document, HTML is a more logical place for it

                    Lotta.
                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 8, 2009
                      Hi Lotta,

                      <<I just meant that if you intend it to be good for the whole document, HTML
                      is a more logical place for it>>

                      Understood.

                      Thank you.

                      Ray Shapp